The love for vehicles !!

Wana start this thread up for people to show some variations of vehicles they would like to see in the game.. and to help bug battlefront enough to make them i the game (LOL)

if i have managed to do this right, you should see some picture's

concentrating on the stug 3, which aught to be and should be 100% in the game, just to show a different fashion or style of schurzen...

would be cool if the engine would allow it?

what say yee battlefront??? :cool:

post-30852-141867621456_thumb.jpg

post-30852-141867621457_thumb.jpg

post-30852-141867621458_thumb.jpg

I believe that particular style of schurzen was only seen in the final stages of the war (Jan '45 onwards) and isn't relevant to the Normandy time frame.

Mmmm, I can't be precise, but I think that style came in quite a bit earlier than that, at least by the middle of '43. [For instance, this page quotes an Allied intelligence report dated December 1943 on the subject.] What did change in the late war was the switch to mesh instead of solid sheets.

Michael Emrys,

I think that the link you provided isn't describing what Panzerfest is talking about. His issue is with the separate top schuerzen panel, a configuration I freely admit I'd never encountered before. You, though, are clearly talking about this configuration (heavy screen instead of solid plates covering the running gear).

Panzer IV J model

www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04/pzivjlateaj_1.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

His issue is with the separate top schuerzen panel...

How do we know that? I just re-read his post and there isn't a clue that that is what he meant. Perhaps he'd like to clarify the matter?

...a configuration I freely admit I'd never encountered before.

Which is nevertheless an interesting observation. This may require further research. Good point.

Michael

Micheal and John,

I am referring to the pivoting style of schurzen bolted to the fenders with rounded/chamfered bottoms (sometimes tops as well) , the superstructure plates are seen commonly with this setup, although I seem to remember there being a obscure factory setup that incorporates these..

From my reading the 'Pivot' style was done by field workshops to a rough pattern and are first seen around Jan 45 with some sources saying 'late 44' all pics I've seen are from '45'.

Be sure to check out..

Seelow Heights color footage!

Osprey New Vanguard 37 pg 37

PanzerWrecks #6 66/67

I'll keep on digging and see if I can find more info.

Panzerfest and Michael Emrys,

Clearly I misunderstood and apologize for the confusion. I have seen and posted the link to that great vid before, but was so fixated on finding Seelow Heights color combat footage I failed to grok much of what I was seeing. Interestingly, the StuG III in the last part is sporting separate armor panels for the sides of the fighting compartment, in addition to scalloped track skirts, neatly returning me to my earlier and wrong initial point.

Regards,

John Kettler

John Kettler,

It seems that the photo pictures a modified Bosnian Serbian ZSU-57-2 at a cantonment area in Zvornik (Republika Srpska) on 28 February 96 during Operation Joint Endeavor. The information I found says: "fitted with improvised overhead armour to protect the [open top] gun compartment from attacks from above, as well as rain and snow. It also has an ammunition crate fitted to the glacis plate which serves as additional passive armour. Used mainly as a self-propelled gun."

Ahem... an ammunition crate to serve as passive armour... It's more likely that this is for carrying extra ammo, tools or to serve as the food storage area that KR mentions... In my opinion, it's very long time ago that the ZSU-57-2 became just a heap of scrap on tracks.

Cheers,

Lomir

Ahem... an ammunition crate to serve as passive armour... It's more likely that this is for carrying extra ammo, tools or to serve as the food storage area that KR mentions... In my opinion, it's very long time ago that the ZSU-57-2 became just a heap of scrap on tracks.

Cheers,

Lomir

Not in a civil war setting where you're facing maybe a bunch of village militia armed with Kalashnikov's and the odd RPG. Even T-34's were put into use, on top of all sorts of tractors and trucks modified into armoured cars by welding metal plates and MG mounts on them. The ZSU-57's armament is sufficient against any light armoured vehicle. And you cannot really rule out any possibilities off hand. Just like WW2 tankers insisted on putting all sorts of crap - sandbags, tracks, concrete, logs, anything - on their tanks in an attempt to make them better protected but usually with poor results, in civil wars combatants also try to extend their lifespans or at least ease their nerves with insane field modifications.

IMHO the wooden ammo crate is unlikely to hold anything valuable or breakable - it's the first thing to get hit in a firefight, why would you put food or ammunition there??? Furthermore it's not weatherproof (there's a big hole on the side), so your sandwiches would get wet and ammo rusty or frozen. More likely it's empty. It is probably meant to work like spaced armour against RPG's, which kind of makes sense even if it does appear futile (spaced armour on paper still leaves you protected by paper).

lomir,

For that region, it's modern armor, considering things like M10s, M18s and M36s were seized by KFOR and were in operating condition.

Damian90,

Good point, but if it's wood--once!

Sergei,

A ZSU-57/2 is a nasty thing in MOUT, able to not only fire through most walls with impunity, but fire Fuze MT or Fuze VT over infantry positions, clobber defenders even on skyscapers thanks to vertical elevation capability and savage anything less than a modern tank frontally (BR-281 pierces 110 mm at 500 m) . Oh, and it carries 300 rounds! Wiki specifically mentions Serb roof armor mod and use of ZSU-57/2 in ground combat role.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZSU-57-2

normannobrot,

If you don't know, that's fine. Better than making up an answer!

Regards,

John Kettler