Game crashing

I know this issue is the ATI drivers but not sure what to do to fix the issue.

I still am using AGP video cards and this is the card I have..HIS ATI 4670 card

http://www.hisdigital.com/us/product2-448.shtml

These are the drivers for it on their site and I think these are very old and hardly up to date.

http://www.hisdigital.com/us/download1-448.shtml

My question is does anyone know if I can use the actual ATI drivers for this card or am I stuck with this and unable to run CMSF.

The rest of my system is

CPU=Intel P4 3.O Ghz

Memory= 2GB

Sound= Creative X-Fi sound

AMD/ATI's 9.12 Catalyst mentions supporting the HD 4670 series, but it doesn't get too specific on the bus, which can be an issue here. The newer ATI GPUs have PCI Express bus support built-into the GPU. To use them on AGP often requires a 'translator' chip and that's where the driver support becomes questionable.

The drivers you linked to on HIS's website are Catalyst 9.9 and 9.6, both of which have the OpenGL bug that affects CMSF.

You can potentially try the ATI reference drivers to see if they'll work. You may get a message part way through the setup that the video card is not recognized/not supported (a sign that PCI ID is not in the drivers' INF files). You often see this with the laptop video chipsets.

On occasion ATI/AMD have supported some of the non-standard bus configurations for their GPUs with the reference drivers. I don't know if that will be the case here. Your other option would be to contact HIS support and see if they know if the reference drivers will work. The other thing to ask HIS support if the reference drivers don't work is if they'll release an updated driver using Catalyst 9.10 or later OR if there is a workaround to get the reference drivers working with their video card. It may be as simple as updated INF files or it more likely may be certain files from their current driver would have to be used with the new reference driver. Though this may not be possible since the 'translator chip' support may have to be integrated with the driver at a level beyond simple files (i.e. - not a separate file, but compiled into the driver itself).

Well looks like I am out of luck with playing this game.

I did look at the FAQ on the site and it had this info..

Q : Why can't we use the driver under the section "Built by ATI" on ATI's web site for our ATI products?

A :On ATI's website, there are two sets of drivers, namely, "Built by ATI" and "Powered by ATI". The former are solely for cards built by ATI herself while the later are for other manufacturers. These two sets of drivers may detect different sub vendor and sub system ID that are manufacturer dependent. ATI has designed the drivers and BIOS as such. Hence, our card can only use the drivers in the "Powered by ATI" Section. ATI Cards by other manufacturers will have the same situation.

However it does not look like ATI has the 2 sets of drivers anymore.

I was going to try and contact HIS but it looks like it will be a nightmare to do as they have no email contact and no phone number other than one in Hong Kong.

This appears to be old info. I'm not sure when ATI/AMD had their drivers divided into ATI's and all other ATI OEMs.

I would suggest trying the ATI/AMD reference drivers anyway. You will need to UNINSTALL your current drivers (but get a download of the HIS drivers to reinstall, which may be necessary), reboot and install any of the Catalysts from 9.10 to 9.12. You may get a message that your video card is not supported or recognized. If that is the case, then you will have to cancel the install of the drivers and reinstall the HIS drivers.

The crucial difference here in using the ATI/AMD reference drivers is that your HD 4670 is NOT a native AGP product. HIS did further engineering to support this GPU on the AGP bus. The HD 4670 natively supports PCI Express and the ATI drivers will look for it to work in such a manner (based on its PCI ID). With this GPU on the AGP bus HIS has probably given it a different PCI ID that ATI may not recognize. Thus they have to customize the drivers for this particular video card to talk to the 'bus-translation chip' that HIS has put on this video card.

If there is enough requests, HIS may update (if this is necessary) a newer Catalyst driver to work with the HD 4670 AGP card. So if the ATI/AMD reference driver doesn't work, then your best bet is to contact HIS support and lobby for a newer driver. If you're real lucky, it might be possible to just update the INFs for the reference driver to work with your HD 4670 AGP card, but more than likely that approach may not be enough.

It looks like people are posting in a Discussion thread on their Facebook page. There's even one discussion about your specific product (though the user is having a problem downloading their Windows 7 driver). It doesn't seem like they have a direct email support, but there is a webpage for it (submitting your serial number, etc.) and it may be useful to pursue.

Sounds like its worth a try to keep pushing HIS.

I tried the reference drivers and they did not work as it did not recognize the card.

I did find one more thing to try and see if it works.I found a AGP hotfix 9.12 driver package on the AMD site and will try it tommorow.

CWorth - Good searching ! I found the Catalyst 9.12 AGP Hotfix (though the visible text says 9.11 it actually is 9.12 per the link).

This should probably work.

Yep those are the ones and they do not work either unfortunately.

Oh well looks like I am out of luck at the moment and can only hope HIS actually supports their products and releases a newer driver version.

I did send them a message through the site after going through a ton of crap just to write a simple question but from reading comments on their Facebook page I really don't expect much from them.

• 2 months later...