British Convoy *** Spoilers***

This question is one massive spoiler if you haven't played this scenario, so if you don't want it ruined don't read on!

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

I got all but two of the lorries off the table (sorry map - old age speaking!) with minimal losses.

But then I got a Minor British DEFEAT!!!!!

The scenario briefing said nothing about taking two towns/facilities, and it wasn't even necessary to run the convoy.

What gives?

(PS Still the finest game I own.)

That is an interesting mission. Did you wait for all reinforcements to appear before ending the battle and did you get all your men/vehicles to the other side of the map or just the lorries?

I got all but two of the lorries. One Scimitar was RPG'd and a Warrior disabled.

I waited until all troops were at hand, wiped out most of the enemy and then moved down the road. An IED took out two lorries but I'd left the two building complexes and consequently didn't gain any points for them.

I enjoyed the scenario a great deal but thought I'd been "cheated" by the mission parameters. (A bit like the previous "botched" scouting job.)

That's curious because I played my mission similarly - except I sent my men down the far right flank, and bypassed the IED. I was awarded a major victory as far as I can recall. I presume this is 1.21?

If by "1.21" you mean the latest fix then yes. But did you occupy the buildings or clear them?

Did you move ALL your forces, not just the lorries, off the screen?

I hate IFVs still on the screen, and didn't clear the buildings.

is this the one with the long highway going through? i had extreme luck in that one :D

i simply rushed all trucks through without any damage done. with FAST i got all of them through, starting from turn 1, one truck per turn.

the rest of the force was peppering some positions i had spotted with coax. thats all i did. took about 5 rounds to get all trucks to the exit zone, i hit cease fire and i won. the most simple mission in the campaign i thought.

yea, nothing hit them. although it sounds easy i took a good amount of time to place the FAST waypoints in a optimal way so they alomost never slowed down to turn. they where speeding through the bend like its "eau rouge".

many AT stuff whizzed by, mostly RPG´s but i could hear the SPG9´s, anyway my trucks where too fast. surely the man where buttoned up, so i dont lose the gunner by accident, as smal arms fire is no threat to the trucks when buttoned.

that was a funny thing to watch thought, after the ceasefire i discovered that the syrians had at least 200 to 300 man there in ambush but they did no harm at all.

It is very interesting the way people play this game. I tried Pandur's attempt the first time I played it, and sent the first packet of lorries over the bridge. Of course, they hit a IED and then they got hit from every angle on the map by small arms and larger bore stuff, so I tried a different approach next time round. I don't find it a particularly easy mission at all!

Did you also know that if you cease fire early you may lose some of your reinforcements or artillery assets the next mission? I lost 60mm and 81mm mortar rounds by ending missions early. You still have access to them but they are 'empty'.

I had exactly the same issue with this mission, I got all but three of the convoy trucks to the end zone yet suffered a defeat because I hadn't cleared the nearby village. I found this annoying as the mission briefing never said anything about clearing villages and stressed the point of getting your trucks to the objective at all costs.

Other members of this forum thought I should accept it :

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1149596#post1149596

Yet if every mission was designed like this with unknown objectives the game becomes too obscure and vague in my opinion.

is this the one with the long highway going through? i had extreme luck in that one :D

i simply rushed all trucks through without any damage done. with FAST i got all of them through, starting from turn 1, one truck per turn.

the rest of the force was peppering some positions i had spotted with coax. that's all i did. took about 5 rounds to get all trucks to the exit zone, i hit cease fire and i won. the most simple mission in the campaign i thought.

Ten turns/minutes "rounds" to get them all off? But the second lot of lorries don't arrive until ten minutes have passed?

There are IEDs all over the last stretch of the road. I wonder if these, being command detonated, didn't go off because all the Syrians had yet to arrive?

Can anyone tell me if there is a way (other than saving and marking the start) of replaying a campaign scenario?

I had exactly the same issue with this mission, I got all but three of the convoy trucks to the end zone yet suffered a defeat because I hadn't cleared the nearby village. I found this annoying as the mission briefing never said anything about clearing villages and stressed the point of getting your trucks to the objective at all costs.

Other members of this forum thought I should accept it :

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?p=1149596#post1149596

Yet if every mission was designed like this with unknown objectives the game becomes too obscure and vague in my opinion.

I agree entirely. A soldier on the ground is given a mission with objectives. If there are hidden objectives what do you do? If killing enemies in villages that haven't been specified as targets is a good thing to do then why not just wipe out the entire map every time?

This is wrong.

Well I didn't clear the village first, and I still won the scenario. As I said before, I flanked the right hand side, and although I got ambushed by a recoilless rifle and a couple of RPG's I still got most of the lorries to the far flank on the other side of the map. There I left them until the very last few minutes where I advanced them slowly to the green. I kept a couple of vehicles back and some infantry, peppering the enemy positions with small arms. This appeared to keep them busy enough.

i hope we talk about the same map here. i cant really remember a bridge but 2 highways next to each other going down a hill doing a slight turn to the left and going streight then slightly uphill to the end where the exit location is.

honestly i cant say if i even waited for the other trucks ariving by reinforcement, but the map looked like perfectly made for a truck rush. the smal arms fire can not really harm a truck speeding by with FAST. i saw no single IED, i was excusively on the right highway only going on the right lane, just in the bend the trucks cut to the left lane.

there is a quadratic wall next to the street with a squad there, they where all hiding :D

that was in 1.20

i hope we talk about the same map here. i cant really remember a bridge but 2 highways next to each other going down a hill doing a slight turn to the left and going streight then slightly uphill to the end where the exit location is.

honestly i cant say if i even waited for the other trucks ariving by reinforcement, but the map looked like perfectly made for a truck rush. the smal arms fire can not really harm a truck speeding by with FAST. i saw no single IED, i was excusively on the right highway only going on the right lane, just in the bend the trucks cut to the left lane.

there is a quadratic wall next to the street with a squad there, they where all hiding :D

that was in 1.20

I'm definitely talking about the same scenario. I hid some of my infantry behind the wall as well :D

i hope we talk about the same map here. i cant really remember a bridge but 2 highways next to each other going down a hill doing a slight turn to the left and going straight then slightly uphill to the end where the exit location is.

honestly i cant say if i even waited for the other trucks arriving by reinforcement, but the map looked like perfectly made for a truck rush. the small arms fire can not really harm a truck speeding by with FAST. i saw no single IED, i was exclusively on the right highway only going on the right lane, just in the bend the trucks cut to the left lane.

that was in 1.20

How many trucks did you have total? There were 10.

Interesting if you ran off with four and then claimed win :-)

PS My apologies for correcting your spelling! My computer does it automatically every time I type anything. No offence intended. I wish i could write italiano like you write English.

10? no, that means i did not wait. i thought there where 5? i can remember the briefing said something bout reinforcements but i never waited for them, no idea that they also would include trucks.

i simply ran the ones i had on map to the exit and as they where there i cease fired, maybe that was no total victory(quiet likely) but it was a win :D

10? no, that means i did not wait. i thought there where 5? i can remember the briefing said something bout reinforcements but i never waited for them, no idea that they also would include trucks.

i simply ran the ones i had on map to the exit and as they where there i cease fired, maybe that was no total victory(quiet likely) but it was a win :D

LOL Well that explains it :-)

A bit of a bug in the design though if one can drive half (less than) the convoy off the map and then declare a victory!

A bit of a bug in the design though if one can drive half (less than) the convoy off the map and then declare a victory!

Hi all,

Just adding to the debate, I wouldn't call it a design bug but a "gamey" tactic. Cease fire is an option to end the game that should be used very carefully when playing against the AI, since the computer will always accept it. A kind of "strict rule of honor" should be followed in these cases. Personally, I've never used it but once, in some scenario where at the end you had to extract some special forces with an informer - don't remember the name of that scenario, but it was a very enjoyable one. The thing is, imagine an scenario where your forces have to defend a complex and you get points for the diferent buildings/areas you keep. Turn one, your troops are on the objetives and then you request the Cease Fire option, the computer always accepts and you end up getting a Total Victory without actually playing the scenario. In my humble opinion, requesting a Cease Fire when playing single-player most of the times prevents the AI to develop its whole plan or its possible reinforcements to arrive. So in the Sab'Abar (the convoy) scenario, at least we should wait for all our reinforcements to arrive and then if using the Cease Fire option, say to yourself: I'm going to put all my forces in the objetive leaving area and then I can honestly tell that I've left the AO without leaving anyone behind. Because with the terrain based objetives (occupy or touch, doesn't matter which) you will get awarded all the points taking them with any number of troops.

Cheers,

Lomir

• 1 year later...

(Digging up an old thread while looking for insight into this one.) :)

I've about 2/3rds of the way through this scenario. I got three of the first four trucks across. I've lost a Scimitar, but flanked Sab'Abar Nihaya (the little compound north of the road) which exposed a number of hiding Syrians and allowed me to take out two recoiless rifles, an RPG team, a few snipers and a heavy machine gun team!

However, the three trucks I got across (and were sitting in the green "convoy exit" zone since I can't actually exit units in CMSF). Shortly after the second team of LMTVs arrive, a bunch of technicals and fighters come cruising out of the exit, attack and kill my three trucks which I thought were safe. Do you know if I've gotten points for the three trucks and/or will I be penalized the KIAs/WIAs and lost trucks?

I'd prefer to avoid quitting and restarting the scenario. So, any insight is appreciated.

Bob

So, the answer to my own question is that I do not get any points for the lost trucks and the Syrians get credit for destroying them. :(

As a result, I restarted the battle, advanced the Scimitar and Warriors to high ground to pick-off the Syrians that I could see until all packets arrived. Then, I moved the Warrior to the small compound and the Scimitars down the road. After clearing the initial resistance, I advanced the trucks and parked them in the exit zone with about 7 minutes left. The Syrians surrendered the next turn. I lost one Scimitar to an IED an one truck was immobilized. A total victory and gamey out of necessity.

Bob