How to set the draw distance of trees higher ?

Hi,

is it possible to set the draw distance of trees higher ?

I have all options ingame on max. but the trees ect. disappear at some distance (you could see this on large maps only).

Any way to change this ?

EDIT:

I just realised that this was asked many times, but none member of Battlefront ever answered this question.

Now, PC's get more and more powerfull i wish there is some way to get more draw distance.

I did some tests with the driver setting, but they changed anything.

It looks like the draw distance of trees and bushes is hard coded so there is no way to raise it.

Streets look like mud too in some distance !

At the moment i would say that there is no way to increase the draw distance.

Can someone confirm this ?

Yes its annoying.It might help with the frame issues but I suspect it is an engine leftover from the problematic early days. Kinda ruins the maps both visually and gameplay wise (LOS/LOF) on big scenarios. In my opinion Trees 3d modelling needs a complete rework for the Normandy release. Woods and Forests dont look good right now with the angle distortions and the flickering. Some more solid looking vegetation is needed.

Yes its annoying.It might help with the frame issues but I suspect it is an engine leftover from the problematic early days. Kinda ruins the maps both visually and gameplay wise (LOS/LOF) on big scenarios. In my opinion Trees 3d modelling needs a complete rework for the Normandy release. Woods and Forests dont look good right now with the angle distortions and the flickering. Some more solid looking vegetation is needed.

Agreed.

I hope we will get a "official" aswer to this problem someday...

EDIT:

Just did some more testing and found out that not the distance is important to the draw distance problem.

You can make a 2km x 200m map and see all trees still in 2km.

It is annoying more and more the more i think about this...

The trees are drawn dynamically, with an eye to performance. If CMSF has trouble keeping the framerate up *poof* far off trees disappear.

Having all options at max is the problem, not the solution.

Well, i just dont believe this.

A few trees in the distance will drop my FPS from *runs amazing* to *stuttering* ?

You can believe what you will.

Nonetheless, the game adjust the drawing distance of a number of things, not just trees, to adjust the workload if it starts getting a bit too much.

It may of course be that this isn't functioning quite as it should, or your PC is having to work real hard and the far off trees are merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

You can believe what you will.

Nonetheless, the game adjust the drawing distance of a number of things, not just trees, to adjust the workload if it starts getting a bit too much.

It may of course be that this isn't functioning quite as it should, or your PC is having to work real hard and the far off trees are merely the straw that broke the camel's back.

Ok, but thats a bug in the engine for sure that needs to be fixed.

As guessed previously, the draw distance (as it appears in function) is hard coded in the game engine. It is a 'balancing act' of textures, polygons and LODs to maintain framerates. I'm not sure exactly what the formula is since the engine can detect that amount of VRAM available to it, though I don't know if it benchmarks in any sort of rudimentary way how well the GPU handles the graphics load.

It would be nice to enable as an option the capability to tell the system how you would like to balance the video effects (texture quality, model/LOD quality, draw distance, etc.). We can make a suggestion for a future change, but it probably is NOT seen as a bug right now. I don't know how complex it would be to code such an option and how dependent the whole engine is on the amount and detail of what is being drawn on screen (since some of it does need CPU time).

I come to doubt that this can be addressed for the NATO module and therefore CMSF may not see such an option. For the CM Normandy title there may be a possibility that such a feature could be coded up, but there's a lot on the plate with the reworked Quick Battle system. So I'm sure the Beta Testers can make a suggestion for such a feature, but I have no idea when or even if it will get implemented.