Do 40mm rounds affect friendlies?

If I remember correctly a few patches ago there was a thread saying that anything from 40mm down caused not friendly fire.

Now, for reality's sake I usually don't shoot where there are some of my units, even with ligth arms. Yesterday, while re-playing the second scenario of Thunder campaign, I mistakenly kept on firing on the second floor of a building with 40mmm stryker while one of my squads was conducing an assault. Result, two seriously and two lightly wounded. I checked around just in order to be on the safe side but there wasn't any syrian in sight. Shooting or not.

So the obvious question is. Has this thing been fixed? If so, when? I don't remember I read anything about this in the readme of the latest patches.

Anyway, I mean, I looked in dismay my men tumbling down the stairs (well, more or less) but on the other hand this would be a good addition at the realism of the game.

Ah, at the moment I'm playing with version 1.20. Waiting for Paradox patch or Nato expansion to pass to 1.21. The one coming first:)

Both cause friendly casualties.

Here's an Army squad wounding another Army squad with an M203. There are only two guys in the squad that is shooting, I broke them off from another squad that was nailed by a Stryker chucking grenades which wounded about three men and killed one. These two guys only had M4's and one M203, so there were no AT weapons involved.

33263789.jpg

Mord.

Sandokan, anything higher up than 12,7mm/.50 rounds (inclusive) can cause a friendly fire incident in CM:SF. About the UGLs in your squads, when you use the "Target" command (red line) to area firing in CQC (Close Quarters Combat), you have many chances to accidentally end up hitting one of your own men, so it's better to use the "Light Target" command (yellow line), that doesn't make use of the 40mm grenades.

Cheers,

Lomir

Basically, anything that 'explodes' can cause friendly fire. That even includes bursting smoke shells! That's because an explosion's effects are calculated differently than bullet trajectories. Direct fire doesn't 'see' friendlies, it would be too much additional computing needed to include it... I think.

Basically, anything that 'explodes' can cause friendly fire. That even includes bursting smoke shells! That's because an explosion's effects are calculated differently than bullet trajectories. Direct fire doesn't 'see' friendlies, it would be too much additional computing needed to include it... I think.

There would be no extra computing for rounds hitting friendlies, I think it's not included for small arms fire as you would get too many casualties that would be avoided by real troops. I don't think the controls and TACAI is up to the fine details of firing in close proximity to friendlies without hitting them (such as only shooting at the left-most window of a building or such. So I think it's just abstracted that they take precautions and shoot around any friendlies in the line of fire. Also the AI tends to end up in positions where they should be shooting over their buddies head, but instead shoot through him.

If I'm remembering it all correctly it seems like a reasonable compromise.

I've seen 12.7mm cause friendly casualties too. They fire AP or AP-I rounds though, not HE. Is the "explosion" supposed to simulate secondary shrapnel from impacts or wall penetrations?

I think it's considered a "heavy weapon" that cannot be fired safely at targets near friendlies and so can cause friendly fire. Also, I think you might be right about the shrapnel and stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

friendly fire is a pain in the neck, but usually that happens when you forget to cancel suppressive fire orders. I remember one of my strykers getting with the same rounds from 500meters a whole syrian squad plus the first 3 guys of my assaulting marine squad...nads launchers are a blessing sometimes, sometimes not :)