Any good Animated Battles to Teach to Cadets?

ta da:

http://www.juniorgeneral.org/

Goal: This web site is intended to promote the use of historical simulations as a tool for teaching history by providing free resources that anyone can use. The simulations make use of historical miniatures (paper or plastic toy soldiers), maps and counters, and matrix arguments. The simulations are designed for students in grades 6 - 8. Each scenario is complete with everything needed to run the simulation except dice and rulers.

JonS and Blackhorse,

Bravo Zulu Repeat Bravo Zulu Oscar Foxtrot Sierra

Two of the coolest sites I've seen and complementary, too! Sure wish such goodies had been available when I was a schoolkid! Of course, one had to be a great deal more resourceful back then. In junior high, I made a pass at one of the Pook's turtle Union ironclads. http://www.pookturtleproject.org/ Working from a decidedly uninformed period illustration (showed a rounded casemate), I carved and sanded it from balsa wood and wanted an iron finish on the casemate, so I painstakingly smashed up a bunch of pencil leads and rubbed the graphite powder into the wood. Looked good, but it was messy to handle, since I forgot my brief stint as a little kid building balsa and tissue flying models, whose surfaces were covered with butyrate dope.

Regards,

John Kettler

RCMP,

Just finished watching my recording of Battle Rats: Iwo Jima on the Military Channel (U.S.). I thought it was basically excellent, marred by some idiot in production who thought it would be cool to superimpose a graph paper grid on the historic color. Sucked as an effect and was very annoying and distracting. This show is basically an advanced form of the battle walk, in that the hosts not only explore the key terrain topside, but really get into the tunnel complexes, revealing all kinds of insights as to how things looked from the Japanese side and what the Marines were up against. All in all, a tremendous guide to the battle.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...
RCMP,

You asked for Powerpoint battles? This should help. Rather broad coverage in terms of topics. Talking huge!

http://www.theartofbattle.com/

War of 1812

http://www.warof1812.ca/1812anim.htm

The search phrase "animated battles" will keep you busy for a long time.

Regards,

John Kettler

Great thank you so much this site was great especially for grade 10's kiddies.

RCMP,

You're welcome! How splendid to be able to access so much, so quickly, and with so little work! As someone who used to do his research old school, I really appreciate the wonder that is the Web. When it comes to actually working with the data, though, unless you've got a lot of display room and computational horsepower, it's easier to work with books, particularly if the alternative is hacking through PDFs.

Regards,

John Kettler

...it's easier to work with books, particularly if the alternative is hacking through PDFs.

Agreed. Once I've read a book I can usually go right to the page that has the information I want. Searching through a PDF is frustrating. The search engine usually can't find what I'm looking for which leaves me going through the whole damn thing page by page until I come across it. Until they come up with a search engine that thinks like I do, they are just time wasting bumblers as far as I'm concerned.

Michael