Does Mac OS X 10.4.8 have a native zip capability?

No idea why, but two successive attempts to send NG cavscout a turn have failed, this after we played a whole game before with no problems whatsoever. Consequently, he's asked me to zip the turn and send it. What I don't know, though, is whether the capability to do this is resident in OS X 10.4.8. Is there a way for me to do this, or do I need to

go hunt down some software? If so, what do you recommend?

Regards,

John Kettler

[ January 25, 2007, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Finder / Help / MacHelp

Type "zip" enter

viola

Tip: Put the file in folder before archiving as if you do it on a raw txt file you'll end up with "gameturn.txt.zip" which apparently confuses PCs.

There is also a OS9 shareware program 'ZipIt 2.2.2' which works a treat.

[ January 25, 2007, 03:04 AM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

John,

So the process you are using is:

1. Play turn in OS 9.

2. Copy file to OS X machine or reboot into OS X.

3. Email file?

If yes then you can use “Drop Stuff” a freebie part of Stuffit to convert the file to a zip in either OS 9 or X.

I’d avoid making it “self extracting” though as this makes it an .exe file and many spam filter block these as attachments.

If you want to stay in just OS X you can also right click / option click (depending on your mouse / trackpad) on the file and select “archive”, this will create a zip file automatically (albeit with the txt.zip extension issue).