Vocal Mayhem Mod

OK, it's bigger, it's much better than the embarrassingly bad Army Cuss mod, and it was a TON of work. I am eager to get some impressions on this one, especially from Peter Panzer, whom, correctly pointed out the emotional level needed to be pushed. I pushed, sooooo....?

Mord.

Hey thanks, glad you like it...and you are welcome.

I was just playing a mission where about three plus squads of soldiers were getting plastered by mortar fire. The explosions were almost all air bursts and it was loud as hell, and mixed in with all the incoming sounds and the booms were all these different guys screaming "get down" and what not, you could only make out bits and pieces of it and man, I gotta say, it sounded cool. Very intense!

Mord.

I just installed your mod yesterday and fired a Marines mission (orchard drive). By chance the fight was very tough and I suffered several casualties. Well, I must admit that the atmosphere with the vocal mayhem loaded was definitely more dramatic than previously! I had the feeling of a real combat.

My compliments for the good job!

Now Mord, be honest, did you just spend the better part of your holiday weekend screaming filthy phrases into a mic? You did, didn't you? Hell, I'm going to tell you this is the best damn thing I have ever heard just so you don't start yelling at me!

I am always amazed at the amount of dedication and know-how various members of this forum put into work they willingly share with the rest of us for little, if anything, in exchange. Guys like Gordon Molek, Mord, Scipio, AKD, Birdstrike and others have very much enhanced my enjoyment of CMSF with free files that are quite often professional grade work.

If it's feedback you want...

This is, by-in-large, great stuff in my view, especially for a one-man shop. It would have been very easy for you to stray into unintended parody in an attempt to be more "dramatic," but you really walked the line impressively well on the vast majority of the samples. What's more, you built on the strength of the previous versions great attention to military jargon in a manner that doesn't seem contrived or pedantic. The aggregate effect is quite good.

Something else, I am the type of player who immensely enjoys the dozens of little narratives that unfold over the course of a scenario as they assemble themselves into a greater picture. Work like this helps to put an exclamation on those dramatic pinpoints. It's clear you really understand the theatric potential of the game and how to bring it to the fore.

Lastly, the idea to differentiate the idiosyncratic terminology between the US Army and the USMC was a surprisingly splendid touch. Do users have to remove one or the other of the folders in their "Z" folder in order for them to work in a given scenario (i.e. remove the Army folder when playing a USMC scenario)?

When it comes to sound mods, I often filter through the individual files for the samples that I find to be the most convincing and discard the remainder. I strongly suspect I will keep the bulk of these.

Congratulations on this enormous effort you lewd bastard!:P

WOW! Thanks a lot brother. That review was alone, worth the effort. And it warms my Mordly heart that you noticed the little touches I hoped would "flavor" the over all mod.

Having watched and listened to about 100 friggin' hours worth of you tube and Liveleak, combat footage (looking for stuff for my other mods), helped reinforce my views, that once the bullets start flying, it's not nearly as clinical and controlled as training might make you think. Sweat, chaos and adrenaline balanced on near panic, is what I wanted. I am glad it didn't teeter toward Hollywoodesque or satire, 'cause I was trying very hard not to. The firing orders, of all of them, might seem over the top (and unfortunately I found it very hard to get them to play in game) but from what I've garnered, guys will scream and shout all kinds of frenzied stuff when they are jacked up in a fight. They should sound right at home mixed in with the other files, when sounding off in game...if anyone can get them to. Hearing them out of context and they might not sound so authentic.

I agree whole hearted about the story aspects. While testing stuff, it was pretty wild how certain things would be shouted at just the right time...LOL not every time, but a good part. I wanted the wavs generic enough to fit most situations, but not so generic to the point where it didn't do anymore than convey that a unit was spotted or some such. I guess I am saying, I wanted it to display emotion as well as alert the player while adding drama.

The only thing now, is that I need a couple more voices to add variety.

As for the specific folders, You place only one folder, Army or Marine (scenario depending), in the z folder. Not sure what would happen if they are both there. I think anytime I used Army centric or Marine centric files they were usually numbered the same depending on how many of each there were.

AND yes, I spent quite some time before and after Turkeyday working on this...even when I was resting!

Thanks again, man.

Mord.

@Angryson, You are welcome, man. Glad you like it.

Number twenty (Army), was probably inspired by one of George's wavs from the Brit mod. I was free flowing for the chatter stuff, so I may have channeled him LOL.

Mord.

Wow just Wow!I will definitely keep an eye out for your work your the man for mods.Outstanding!Cant wait to see what other goodies come out of that magical computer of yours.Now its time to turn the volume up and fire up another mission.

LOL sometimes they are hit and miss. This one I am very happy with. My Total Chaos Background stuff, with as much work that went into them, not so much. I am hoping that in time my quality surpasses my quantity. Amazingly enough, this new mod is kinda what I was trying to do with those backgrounds.

Thanks, hope you enjoy.

Mord.

Yes, you can. You can't use the US Army and Marines sub folders at the same time. If so, you may get Army specific phrases being spoken when playing Marines and vice versa. The Brit Mod can be in there no matter what.

Be sure to delete or remove the US folder in the Death Knells mod too, if you are using it.

Mord.

You lost me now. You need to be a bit more specific. I am not sure what curse night is.

If by chance you are talking about the chaos mods, yes you can use them at the same time...they are background mods.

Mord.

Hi Mord,

i just downloaded your Vocal Mayhem Mod and the "Mord & George MC's Cuss Mod Brits".

Great work !!

So i can put "Mords Vocal Mayhem Mod BASE" + Army or Marines + the "Cuss Mod Brits" folder in the z folder ?

Anyone tried out having both (or all three) Army, Marines and Brits Vocal Mod into the z folder at the same time ?

I dont care if Army and Marines Voices are mixed sometimes, or are they much different ?

Eh, and Syrian Voices are not changed in any way ?

Hey, Wiggum.

None of the Syrian voices will be changed in any way unless you also DL the Allah's Army Mod. Yes, you can have any combo of the Brit Mod and US mod in the z folder they do not clash because the files are named differently...having both the Army and Marine sub folder installed probably won't garner much because most of the files are numbered the same...one will take precedent over the other.

Thanks, for the compliment!

Mord.

It's brilliant! I've only tried the Marine version so far but it's added so much to the feel of the game.

Mord, any chance of the Brit version being updated at all? As fantastic as it is, it feels a little 'incomplete' in comparison. Mind you, the quality of the swearing more than makes up for it! I'm sure that an angry Jock gein' ye pelters like that would be the exact definition of an irresistible force.

Hey, Thanks LAF. Glad you are enjoying it.

I've wanted to update the Brits the second I finished the US mod (I knew it would seem light in comparison). But whether I can will depend on whether I can get some voice actors. There's a ton of files to replace.

Mord.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, thanks Nikita.

I thought about altering the pitch of the voices when I was making the mod but sometimes I get a degrading effect in the game when I play and it already changes the pitch of the wavs. Sometimes the voices will be slower and lower and sometimes a bit faster and higher, so I didn't want to alter them anymore in case it warped them even more. I don't know if this happens to other players but it happens to me quite a lot. They border on cartoony, so I am afraid anymore changes in pitch and tone will make them laughable and unrealistic.

The key to making it better will be to get a couple more voices into the mod for some real variety.

Mord.