Where is my Fog?

Hi all! I cannot seem to get my Fog to show up on screen. I have toggled through all the hotkeys (Shift-W and any others I thought might work). I have a brand new computer: P4 with all the bells and whistles. Could it by my monitor? Its a few years old, but certainly not ancient. Any other tips or sugggestions would be great. My gaming buddy keeps telling me how cool it looks and I am getting very jealous <grin>.

Thanks!

Curtis

• 2 weeks later...

This is a driver problem that is true of all ATI video cards running under DirectX. ATI has not supported - and most likely will never support - fog-tables / particle fog effects under DirectX. To my knoweldge (which is very fuzzy regarding this point) particle fog effect support does not mesh very well with the vertex programming in ATI's video drivers - hence it is highly doubtful that ATI will ever support the fog effects that CMB0 & CMBB need.

No 'tweaker' program such as the Rage3D Tweak will change this, despite the program's registry enabling of Z-, W- and Fog-table support. The code just doesn't exist for fog-tables / particle fog. The type of fog effects that ATI supports is 'vertex fog', which doesn't look as nice as particle fog and CM isn't programmed for.

The next engine might be written in the OpenGL Graphics API for the PC (it definitely will be for the Mac) and this may change the support of some features (though I doubt that ATI will support fog-tables under OpenGL either). However since it will be over two years from now before CM II / CM3 will be released, quite a few details can change, such as what type of code might make it into CM and what ATI will support at that time, etc.

[ March 21, 2003, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]