Colour of floating icons in CMx2 WWII games!?

Pandur

well this is actually pretty unimportant right now but since CM Normandy is still in developement i though i better place this now instead of later.

do we see the rather cliche like RED/BLUE colours in WWII too or do we get something like "fieldgray" for german icons and "sandbag colour" or the US "tank green"(the colour their tanks are painted, dunno what its called in RAL if it has a number at all) for the yanks?

and as soon as the red hordes join in later on they should be getting the red icons as example.

or will this be up for the modders and we get the BLUE/RED no matter the WWII setting? anyone thought about this at all at BFC so far or is it to early to think about it anyways?

I'm hoping for the return of shift-C and hence no need for them.

shift+C, wasnt that the size enlargement thingy?

i dont think it will be and i even dont think it "can" be done, with 1:1 modeling. i mean if you increase the size of the object(man or vehicle) it is easier to hit as you increase its "real" size not only the optical one.

or do you know a little more about this as beta tester then we, the unwashed do, wich would support you in your hopes?

Forget color differentiation. I think all the German icons should have little Hitler mustaches.

Not sure about the Allies'... perhaps the Americans' should have Roosevelt's trademark cigarette in holder, whilst the Brit icons support a Churchill cigar?

haha, i think this should be left for the modders out there :D after all i dont like to sort out all the mustaches/cigarrets/cigarrs without any idication of unit type.

Whatever color they are doesn't matter much to me, since this is something that is very easy to mod even in CMSF if one wanted to.

Don't think we will see ctrl+c since it really is not needed with this engine. Would kind of dfeat the purpose 1:1 ratio.

I prefer flags for objectives too just as it was in CMx1.

shift+C, wasnt that the size enlargement thingy?

i dont think it will be and i even dont think it "can" be done, with 1:1 modeling. i mean if you increase the size of the object(man or vehicle) it is easier to hit as you increase its "real" size not only the optical one.

or do you know a little more about this as beta tester then we, the unwashed do, wich would support you in your hopes?

Absolutely not. Never happen. In fact, it’s become a bit of a running joke. Several years ago, I posited the idea of having large 3D icons of soldiers that would represent the squad that would be superimposed on them when they were too small to actually see, as these could get over a lot of information about facing, morale, current action etc. I thought it was a great idea and raised it so often people could predict what I’d write.

Steve & Charles decided it would cause a scale clash with the landscape etc. and that it was a bad idea – and so it’ll never happen.

I'm sure someone will mod the icons to something more subtle and appropriate not long after CM:N comes out.

I'm more concerned that we'll get the fluro green weapons icons again, yet if Scipio is a beta tester he'll probably work on a mod during testing ready to be released not long after the game is available, like he's done before.

I'm using an icon mod right now which adds to the game (for me). I would prefer if BF.C could code the icons so they are moddable on a unit basis. That way, you could get the exact icons you prefer. For example, instead of having the same icon for ALL tanks, the icon for a Pz V should have a different game code than a Pz IV. Out of the box the icon could just be a generic tank, but since the two units are different, their icons could be modded separately. I would prefer the Pz V unit have a tank symbol with a "V" on it, the IV would have a "IV". In a similar manner I could then tell the difference between a Luftwaffe infantry squad and an SMG armed Heer squad by glancing at their modified icons. This could not be done if the icons are not initially coded to be separate for each unit type.

(The mod I'm using cannot differentiate between MMG and HMG. Yet, the military symbology for that exists - an arrow with one crossbar vs. an arrow with 2 crossbars. Similar issues exist for all other weaponry. The icons are coded to cover groups of units, not individual types.)

Ken