Question About Editor & AI

Lanzfeld

Lets say I make a battle with a small section of the map as an occupy area for both sides (human vs AI). King of the hill type battle.

Now lets say I paint a part of the map for an AI group to go to and this destination is NOT the occupy area and this is the LAST order I give to this group. Will this group then, on its own, try to take the occupy area because it is the only thing on the map worth any points?

Or do I need specific orders telling said group to go for the occupy area?

What I am asking is: Does the AI have any sense built in to know that they need to occupy/destroy/touch something?

Now that you mention it, I can't think of a scenario that the AI orders instruct its men to 'run to the flag' for a last minute grab, CMx1-style. Let me refine that, I can think of a RED AI that does that... oh yeh, except for "UK The mouse trap" I forgot about that one.

Start again - I can think of very few 'Red Defends' scenarios where Red AI is programmed to make a gamey flag rush. If Blue is attacking and has decent AI plans they tend to end up on top of the occupy objectives by game end. :)

Thanks for the replys. The editor is really an interesting thing that I am only now starting to explore.

While we are on the subject...

I can see (and love) the benifits of the "scenario editor" level of play. The one where I can see the other side play out the AI plan I made. Is there any way to make the AI play itself yet? I thought I read that in the manual.

Yes, the editor has a VERY steep learning curve but it is really really worth the effort. Yesterday I just threw together a mountain scenario for fun, gave the AI four VERY different attack routes, using terrain contours and overwatch positions. Often the AI does a better job of following my orders than when I'm commanding the troops personally! I tend to be a weak and timid leader, the AI is bold and decisive. :D;)