Reason for no % to hit?

Pandur,

i found "one" use for assault for myself. when i have a squad in a building and it is shooting, and i want to switch from say lvl 2 to lvl 3, i use assault, so half the guys keep shooting the others run. that works good but other then that, i stoped useing it most of the time.

Hmmm... I use Assault for a couple of different purposes. The two I most commonly use it for is when I enter a building that I think is defended, the second is when I'm trying to cover a short distance into a trench. I've not noticed unfavorable results.

Now, trying to use Assault at anything other than close range to the targeted area... doesn't work so well. Troops get tired pretty quickly. So over longer bounds I use Squads or, rarely, split Teams. That way I have more control over the pace of the advance and the uncertainty that comes from Time x Distance reality (i.e. the more time and distance, the more uncertainty).

Steve

i find attacking houses with assault is mostly a way to write off nearly half the squad. the fact that the half squad in cover gets rattled/panicked, while thier mates in open ground are cut to bits doesnt make assault any usefull to me. the cover element gets supressed/neutralized without them comeing under fire.

at the point that does not happen becouse there is only a handfull of enemy soldiers or they are supressed i dont need to use assault anyways but can use quick wich is faster and brings in all the firepower at once.

EDIT

a fast note about the % chance to hit. i dont give a damn about this. its possible to get a rough idea if you will hit or not by looking at the given constelation of weapon to target. not even in normandy i would need a % to hit where it would make much more sens then in the modern area.

Pandur,

Your experience with assault mirrors mine - when I assault a building with enemy waiting to ambush me. And only if I haven't suppressed the building and smoked it first. If I TARGET LIGHT the building I'm going into and have buddies TARGET LIGHT the adjacent building (if any) and then assault, it works very well.

Regards,

Ken

Quick is still better than assault. Split in to teams, have one area fire, the other quick move in, and the team entering the building can react to the (suppressed) defenders they find.

Try it with assault, and a) any suppression of the assaulting team also suppresses the overwatching team since they are the same unit, and B) if the assault move uses target (light) to suppress, then the moving team also area target the building once they are there to the extent of ignoring defenders in the building (or adjacent ones).

Assault has too many negatives. I can't think of a single situation where it works better than split/quick/target (aside from speed of issuing commands).

Here's a suggestion for how I'd like it to work:

Assaulting a building. The first maneouver element does a 'quick' move in to the building, pausing outside to throw in a few grenades first (possibly some kind of bonus to simulate 'stacking' the door in comparison to a normal quick move). Then they adopt the fire command (target, arc or face command) attached to the end waypoint of the assault move. The overwatch element(s) use target light on the building to suppress with small arms fire, and then do a simple quick move in once the first unit has completed its move (or alternatively, hold position and continue to fire if the target building has defenders detected by the first team - not sure what the best thing to do there is).

Since all this can be done manually with pauses, target commands and moves (with the exception of the pausing for grenading, although you can still get that behaviour with a target command for the maneouver team) then presumably it can be programmed for the assault command, even if it is essentially a macro that queues up the other commands for the units.

TheVulture has it exactly the way I try to do it. The grenading can be accomplished with a 5(?) second pause at the stack up location coupled with a target light into the building. The quick into the building is coupled with a covered arc command covering 360 degrees and a range sufficient to cover the adjacent rooms. (That stops the team from continuing to area fire into an empty room while they get ambushed from an adjacent room.) I usually don't move the second team into the building until the next turn (I play WeGo); that's to prevent the entire squad from dying in case of an ambush. Worst case would be losing the entrance team.

I use the assault method, a few posts upstream, when splitting into teams doesn't make sense or can't be done (casualties, command, squad limitations).

Ken