Bug?

BillyR

How close is the artillery falling? I've seen men in the open get wounded 40-50m from the point of impact. Its not exactly safe to wander in the vicinity of dropping shells. Only Rambo is able to charge through mortar explosions with guns blazing. Well, Rambo and Chuck Norris. And maybe that Van-Damme guy too. Not too sure about Bruce Willis, I don't think he's tough enough. The Rock definitely couldn't - after all, the guy's real first name is Dwayne.

Bruce Willis is too cool (or should I say "cool") to charge through artillery bombardment with guns blazing; when the shell start whistling down, he would just hunker down behind some conveniently-placed barrels and chill. The Rock wouldn't need to go charging through artillery bombardment with guns blazing; he would just demoralize his foes with well-timed archings of his eyebrow.

Seriously, though... Infantry units halting when artillery impacts relatively nearby makes sense to me. A squad making its way cautiously through the landscape probably wouldn't halt if artillery starts landing 500 meters or more away, but if said artillery starts landing within 100 meters of them, they would probably halt to see if the shells start landing closer, etc.

The reason I asked is the Hunt command is specifically for probing...the units don't halt when they are given any other move command.....so it makes me think the hunt command is broken because they are halting due to coming under fire...which is what you would expect from hunting if they come into contact with the enemy...but NOT from dropping shells...this makes me think the artillery is being misrepresented as "coming under fire" which is what the hunt command is waiting for?

I probably haven't made much sense there, but I know what I mean.

hunting is used for moving until contact, which imo means that they will move until they encounter any enemy. Hopefully BEFORE the enemy puts fires at them.

Although you have a point that units in other movement modes then hunt tend not to stop moving, after coming under similar artillery threat.

Give your men most-any movement command and at one point or another they're liable to decide to save their own skin rather than continue. Whether its crossing mortar fire or facing an advancing tank. Discretion becomes the better part of valor. I think that behavior is controllable in the editor. The combination of high experience with fanatical motivation makes them very difficult to crack. Recently I've been playing with that, dropping the motivation level because I like the "bugger out the back door" response in MOUT battles. No sense in having them stand their ground and die to the last man.

Is this a bug? When you send units using hunt mode and artillery is dropped, they stop? IS that a bug or wad? It seems screwed to me...hunt should really only stop when coming into contact with enemy

I have noticed this as well, very annoying. It makes sense when hunting in the most defensive sense of the word, but not when you are doing an assault.

Is this a bug? When you send units using hunt mode and artillery is dropped, they stop? IS that a bug or wad? It seems screwed to me...hunt should really only stop when coming into contact with enemy

How is that a misrepresentation?

Well, if they just see arty shells coming down they will stop hunting. Unless it's danger close they shouldn't stop. Mortars have a small kill radius and an extremely small kill radius while in vehicles.

How is that a misrepresentation?

Sometimes I find it difficult to communicate what I'm trying to say.

Of course coming under artillery fire is coming under fire. I didn't mean that was mis-represented. I meant the game is detecting artillery as direct fire.

tbh, I see no benefit of the Hunt command if it is wad. I might as well just give my units a move command and tend to them when they come under fire, rather than give them a hunt command only to stop as soon as anything comes near them.

I like the hunt command especially for scouts and snipers since it will generally halt them BEFORE they are spotted by the enemy they spotted.

It can indeed be annoying if you found out you team has stopped close to their original position, because of your own artillery falling down far away.

However I guess there has to be a trade of somewhere.

EDIT to clarify: @billyr, hunt doesn't halt your troops under incoming fire. Hunt halts your troops as soon as ANY enemy is spotted, or if they are fired upon by unspotted enemies. I guess the artillery falls in the latter category.