Brits Scouting Mission

I forget the title but this is the four unit scout of the airport in the British campaign.

I "Bungled" this. I scouted five of the OPs but lost the unit of soldiers and one man of one of the Sniper teams.

Everyone got to (I can't remember the names and it's too late at night to look them up.) the same "departure point", but I still bungled it.

How come?

What did I have to do to win?

nah you can have a fight. i just crashed through the mission with a minor victory.

i ran into a HMG and suffered 1 casualty(dead). 6 of 8 points reconoitered and a single eny formation spotted.

that was enough for a minor victory, and iam in the next mission, attacking the airport with jeeps :D

that will be a though one i guess, even the briefing says so.

nah you can have a fight. i just crashed through the mission with a minor victory.

i ran into a HMG and suffered 1 casualty(dead). 6 of 8 points reconoitered and a single eny formation spotted.

that was enough for a minor victory, and iam in the next mission, attacking the airport with jeeps :D

that will be a though one i guess, even the briefing says so.

hehe yes that is a tricky mission. I completed that yesterday. I did quite well but it is a challenge.

Two hints for that mission (not really spoilers, but read on at your own risk :))

In this mission you will lose a LOT of points when the enemy detects some of your guys. The more of your guys the enemy detects, the more points you will lose. You CAN have a brief firefight with, say, a single enemy unit that ventures too close to your scouts as long as you don't expose too many of your soldiers. If at the same time you fulfill many of the other objectives, you may still get a minor victory.

Secondly, you get points for detecting enemy units. You can even lose the mission if you strictly visit your OPs and do nothing else useful. Mind you - the mission goal is to DETECT THE ENEMY DISPOSITION. The OPs are a means to an end. You could in fact ignore them completely and if you manage to detect a certain percentage of the enemy, you'd still win!

Now, detecting the enemy isn't easy (on purpose). I won't spoil it so I won't go into details of why that is. You will have the best result in this mission probably if you forget points altogether and play it as if it was a recon mission...

Based on Moon's explanation and my own experience of failing repeatedly at this mission because either my troops got spotted or they got into grenade-throwing matches with randomly wandering Syrian squads, my assessment is confirmed: It's pure recce -- spot the enemy; stay unspotted.

I look forward to having another go at it. :)

"Now, detecting the enemy isn't easy (on purpose)."

I dream that one day I will be rich enough to buy Moon and the whole Battlefront team (and I include the good scenario designers who do so much for the CM games for the fun of it) so much good Champagne that they can't see straight, because they have gven me so much pleasure since CMBO first came out.

Then, in my dream, I beat them to death with an enormous haddock in revenge for all the hours of frustration they have caused me with their fiendish scenarios and, with CMSF, the damned campaigns.

"Now, detecting the enemy isn't easy (on purpose)."

I dream that one day I will be rich enough to buy Moon and the whole Battlefront team (and I include the good scenario designers who do so much for the CM games for the fun of it) so much good Champagne that they can't see straight, because they have gven me so much pleasure since CMBO first came out.

Then, in my dream, I beat them to death with an enormous haddock in revenge for all the hours of frustration they have caused me with their fiendish scenarios and, with CMSF, the damned campaigns.

Well in my dream it's a walrus but otherwise I'm with you!

I really hated that mission because I got a defeat as well (probably from engaging three syrian infantry sections). I spotted all the BTRs rolling around. SURPRISE SURPRISE, next mission briefing I an informed that we have no idea whats on the airfield.

Do you get AFVs if you pass the mission?