A tactical scenario "WANAT" style

Following is the briefing of "A TACTICAL TALIBAN'S ASSAULT" scenario - Cheers -:

This scenario is about the tactical defence of an outpost against the taliban’s attacking it, like they did on july the 13th 2008 at WANAT in Afghanistan. It retains most of the errors that were made and disclosed nearly a year later. Let it be a Tactical learning tool about the ways the Taliban’s fight in order not to be surprised in such a situation and learn how to deal it the best way it could be.

It is in no way a critic against the defenders of Wanat. They did their duty, fought and died for they country as ordered by higher up to the best they could. God bless them all.

Situation: Enemy Forces

The Haschim Khan outpost is located in a narrow and steep valley, surrounded by high summits making patrols nearly impossible, but on the only road going through it and its near grounds. For that reason we are mostly relying on UAV flights to build our intelligence. The locals have told us that some Taliban’s groups were gathering in the far end of the valley leading to Peschsawar. On the other end of it toward Jalalabab and near the bridge our forces have kept the road open and no such groups have been encountered. We have never had IED on that strecht of road. Yesterday, the locals have told us of an impending attack by the Taliban’s. One of them, even asked us if the UAV were flying. As matter of fact the one affected to us has been diverted for the next coming days elsewhere. We don’t have any intelligence about these Taliban’s. Needless to say, we trust moderately the locals. They have seen our defence posts and God knows why they should not give their locations to their neighbours. Frankly the place stink, but orders are orders, like or not, will do as said.

^

Situation: Friendly Forces

.For our outpost defence, we have the 1st Platoon / C Company / 1st Batt, a scout team handed over by 4th Batt and an Humvee with a 50 cal HMG. As a gift, we have to train the 2nd Platoon / B Company ANA 3rd Batt. They brought with them a derelict BTR-60 to use in Recon training. We can call 2 X 120mm heavy mortars, from the fire base in the other valley next to us. The only drawback is that they can only deliver rounds 6 to 8 minutes later. It takes time, since they are afraid to make a blue on blue, in such a tight defence setting.

If we are attacked, we will have a QRF from our 2nd platoon brothers mounted on Bradley’s.

If they are engaged or not ready to react right away, a QRF from 2nd platoon / B Company / ANA : 2nd Batt mounted on BMP’s will approach the Haschim Khan bridge in 15 minutes time. Our brothers should then follow in the next 15 minutes. Anyway, Air Asset will be available in the 20 minutes of the start of an attack, if it comes. Their call sign Cobra 1 & 2^

Situation: Terrain and Weather

The weather is overcast and cool, the ground is damp with a Westerly light wind. No weather change forecast for the coming week.

^

Mission: Overall Description

Our mission is to prevent the outpost to fall with the village to the Taliban’s. If we are attacked, we should hunker down fight back and wait for the QRF and Apaches to come.

We will act as a magnet and fix the enemy enabling the QRF with its mortars and rapid chain gun to engage and destroy with the help of the Apaches.

^

Execution: Commander's Intent

To be only played Blue against red A.I with CMSF - USMC Module V 1.20

A fun scenario, although alot more deadly than the real life one it was modelled on, in my case anyway.

I got an UNCON surrender with around 40mins to go, although I had 50 dead and 40 injured.

My only remainng troops in the town were threee guys hiding on the bottom floor of a building completely out of ammo.

I was almost going to do a reload after my entire ANA QRF got wiped out, but kept going and with the arrival of the Bradley platoon and Apache support ground down the resistence.

A fun scenario, although alot more deadly than the real life one it was modelled on, in my case anyway.QUOTE]

Hi, Bodkin. Like in real fighting( let's say Wanat style, with some variants) that outpost attack is made to funnel troops rushing to help, (The QRF) in a deadly cross fire at ambush sites, while on their way to the village. You got Blue casualties, just on the higher side. In testing , I got as few as 8 KIA and as much as 35 KIA. I managed to keep in action the village platoons with 3/4, 1/2 strength and as low as 2 or 3 guys in hiding in one of the houses.

One thing to retain from that tactical setup, is that Apaches do help, but they don't kill or suppress necessarily the most feared red assets, such as AT weapons.

Another thing, for the defender, is to hit the ground in the village and not do daring things ending with high casualties with tangible low or none results.

More, you must save the BTR-60 and the Humvee 50 Cal, the longer you can to mow down the onrushing Taliban's. Choose a place in defilade if possible.

Don't think that the 2 bunkers will do all the suppressing. They might survived and do a pretty good job, but at one moment or the other the Red will disabled them or kill the crew.

Lastly, the QRF should move cautiously one step forward (bounds) with the second overwatching and so on. Dismount the BMP's troops, since the track take hit more easily that ERA Bradley's.

For the rest, I just would say that a road opening is the worst thing that could happen. They know, where you are going and they hit you at their best liking. The worst plac, usually for you. Try to offset their view, if that is possible.

Finally, Glad you liked it, Sure you'll do better next time in that scenario or others with the same surprises styles.

Just a thing, I recall. In an ambush, there were two advices. The first one, speed up and don't stop, while blasting free weapons on either side and forward.

The second one, fan out on either side of the road while returning fire and maneuver.

Well, that is textbook doctrine. Get in one and coming back,throw your book out of the window.

Cheers

My humvee and the BTR-60 got taken out early by rpg's it's hard to find a good spot to place them when your dealing with elite level fanatical troops.

I had most of the defenders hide in ambush with a cover arc setting, yet they just got overwhelmeed by these fanatics.

I'll give it another go some time, it would be a great scenario for an eastern front WW2 mission.

My humvee and the BTR-60 got taken out early by rpg's it's hard to find a good spot to place them when your dealing with elite level fanatical troops..

Hi, Bodkin.

Since they are taken out by RPG, you must hide them along the houses on the road through the village on The Peschsawar side. That way the red can't fire at them since the houses are between them. The only way to fire is along the road across the perpendicular axis of the Red assault toward the first houses after the Check point. In no way, you should have the BTR-60 and or Humvee unmasked. They should fire in defilade. That way they will last longer and even the all time, but somehow immobilized and still firing capable. There are one other way, but I should not spoiled the pleasure of some of you in finding that spot.

Hi FightingSeabee,

Glad you got your butt kicked. I am joking, naturally. But having have it and knowing you it is a compliment, remembering the scenarios you are doing.

Cheers