Is there something wrong with my Carrier?

I'm a bit confused.

As you can see my Far Eastern Fleet is engaged in desperate coastal bombardment missions to try and stem the advance of the Japanese in Burma, and the Carrier HMS Indomitable, is just off the coast providing air cover.

carrierb.jpg

Whats confusing me is that try as I might I can't get her to launch any strikes, the target reticule just doesn't appear when I hover over an enemy unit.

I've tried eveything I can think of in terms of mode changes but nothing seems to work, and I can't see anything in the manual that explains what I migth be doing wrong.

It's sort of suspended my campaign as I am reluctant to carry on without understanding what I'm doing wrong.

Any idea's?

Oh! BTW....any advice on what the hell I can do to stop the Japanese advance would also be welcome. I've just lost control of Mandalay and General Huttons HQ which was stationed there, so things look pretty bad. My best idea so far is to move the Chinese Army west to try and block the gap, but I suspect they will just get chewed up too as the Irrawaddy valley isn't very good defensive terrain.

Rain rain go away

Come again some other day...

Is that all it is?:rolleyes:

Didn't realise rain had that much effect on air operations in this period.

Yep! looks like you're right, now i know what I'm looking for I found it in the manual quite quickly.

Rain/Fog: All air units are grounded and cannot attack, re-base or spot enemy units during Fog of War. Operational Movement is still allowed.

Does it only restrict flying if it affects the target, or the air unit, or either?

The rain will affect both, so even if it wasn't raining where your carrier is, if it was raining over the target then your planes wouldn't be able to hit it.

As it's the Monsoon season in your game, I'd suggest getting that carrier to a safe port asap.

As it's the Monsoon season in your game, I'd suggest getting that carrier to a safe port asap.

Hmm! good point its a sitting duck if it can't launch its aircraft. Mind you I'm not sure there is such thing as a safe port in the Bay of Bengal at the moment.

Presumably, the same rules apply to Japanese Carriers and land based aircraft so its worth thinking about. There's a Japanese Carrier wandering about in the Celebes Sea at the minute that might be vulnerable if its raining there too.

Who's got the Jap paratroop on the Coast? There's six shore bombardments waiting to happen, along with a couple on the tank.

Actually, I've been singularly unimpressed with the impact of naval bombardment so far. The [bB]Royal Sovereign and Prince of Wales have been pounding those paratroops and the armoured unit for a couple of turns will little noticeable effect. In fact, strangely the [CA]Exeter seems to have had more luck inflicting damage.

I'm not sure if this is because of the terrain, or simply reflects the ineffectiveness of naval bombardment (it didn't do much on D-Day either, so I'm told), but the main purpose at the time was actually to stop the parachutist preparing for a 'jump', as I have a horrible feeling they are going to land on Dimapur and ninja the city behind my planned defence line.

Don't fret, doesn't look to me that the para unit has the required 7 supply to form up(prepare). If you want to make sure, take the supply and efficiency of the nearby port and city down a level or two(strategic attack).

Rangoon you mean?

How would I do that?

Can Battleships perform strategic bombardments, I don't have any bombers in Burma yet?