Pace of the game

hoolaman

One thing I have found a bit disappointing is that this game can be ponderously slow to get started.

This is a game of naval combat, and building a ship for twenty turns where each turn is approaching 30 seconds of real world time time, means that it can be almost an hour before you are even really starting to see serious contact with the enemy.

It is hard to get away from feeling like you are stuck in a stalemate when you build a ship and it gets sunk, then you are back to waiting for the next one. To amass a serious invasion force is a very slow process.

I don't know what the answer is, but maybe a double time "quick game" option might be possible like civilisation 4 has. Halve the resources to build or something.

I agree, in the demo I found it annoying that I had to build alot of ships, as well as build an army at the same time.Especially since early in the game you only have like 2 or 3 cities at the most.Ships take like 20 turns to build so it took forever just to build a stupid transport, let alone real combat ships.

One thing I have found a bit disappointing is that this game can be ponderously slow to get started.

This is a game of naval combat, and building a ship for twenty turns where each turn is approaching 30 seconds of real world time time, means that it can be almost an hour before you are even really starting to see serious contact with the enemy.

It is hard to get away from feeling like you are stuck in a stalemate when you build a ship and it gets sunk, then you are back to waiting for the next one. To amass a serious invasion force is a very slow process.

I don't know what the answer is, but maybe a double time "quick game" option might be possible like civilisation 4 has. Halve the resources to build or something.

I was hoping that the transport / 2 infantry / Zepplin starting units would get the game started a little more quickly. I suppose a variation could be added to add more starting units. Another thing is that the game-setup screen allows you to modify the production rates for each player. You could crank up the production rate to 150% for everyone.

Starting with two or three cities would certainly allow a quicker start.

After all, in every game you will very likely capture the three closest cities and garrison them with an infantry unit.

I'm beginning to think though that it is the demo map that is giving a bit of a false impression of the speed of the game. Bigger continents and land based conflict could allow bigger empires to grow and quicker.

Putting 7 AI players also allows you to get into combat pretty quick!