Nupremal World War Mod AAR

Autumn 1943

Game 1: Colin Axis

Getting wiped in Europe. Japanese salvage some pride - big naval fight results in 3 US Carriers and some support ships for some surface vessels sunk but no carriers. Either it was perfectly timed with the weather or the rest of his surface fleet is elsewhere. Japanese have a heavy presence in India though sadly fun is spoiled by entry of Nationalist Chinese.

Game 2: Colin Allies

Allies consolidate in Greece, taking Tirana. Russian amphibious distraction is defeated. An interesting fight is shaping up in the Balkans. In Russia a burst of nice weather gives the Red Army a chance and they move forwards trashing a German army, corps, artillery and tank. Hopefully the weather will turn bad before he can retaliate. Japanese on back foot on Indian border. No naval clashes for a while.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rambo,

I was hoping Nupremal will tell me what happened there. Weather turned sour but I figured he still had enough US Battleships in the area to counter hard. A lot of my carriers were low on planes too. No doubt I will lose this one - though there is an interesting imbalance - UK lost a lot of ships when the Med was sealed and now USN has been hit - so might be able to exploit the sea for a while.

Loose lips sinks ships. Nupremal is probably use to my Pacific play.....I tend to be conservative with Jap Carriers.....thus your boldness or his risk relative to my play cost him the carriers.

Nupremal is a very solid player. He is kicking my ass in a current game with me as Axis.

MY AFRICA PLAY AS GERMANY SUX !!! I lose most my games screwing around with tangent strategies or Africa.

It appears you have experienced great joy sinking three Yankee carriers against a veteran player, during your first game of the World Campaign. The Jap Emperor god & the Forum gamers are proud of you.

Now quit gloating, you'd better get those Nazis organized in France & Russia, because Vypuero will bring you down in Europe.

Game 1 Colin Axis

Europe is a nightmare - my guess is its all over by early 1945, Allies are wiping the floor with the Germans. Japan is better, some action on Indian border with another UK army or special forces destroyed (did not notice which). I'm starting to think US threw everything at Europe which might make for an interesting end game.

Basically his timing was excellent in Russia, surged forwards at just the right moment. Also I made a mistake, got my two German paratroopers out of position during early Barbarossa and did not have them to complete encirclements or kill air/HQ in rear areas as much as usual. Think this made a big difference, should have made earlier victories more decisive. Nupremal's play was excellent here.

There is another aspect to this game - clearly I put a lot of effort into North Africa but do not regret it - Spain came in too so I sealed the Med and trapped quite some British ships there which were slowly eliminated. Do not think this did me much good in Europe but do suspect that it will help Japan keep its naval edge longer - UK does not have many carriers left.

Lastly I put effort into diplomacy - again do not regret it, Spain in was useful at Nationalist Chinese out until 1944 a great help back East. But it distracts from Barbarossa focus. However, for the game to be interesting there have to be viable alternative strategies to hitting Russia with everything even though its tried and tested.

Game 2 Colin Allies

Strange but interesting turn.

Russia - weather gets worse for Germans so Russians consolidate in front of Moscow and kill another armour. Germans need to reinforce or retreat next turn. Nupremal was unlucky here, should have nailed my paratrooper.

Greece - Allies move inland - heading to Balkans - killing a German army. Allied carriers knock down an Italian TAC bomber. Sadly had a bit much to concentrate on so Greek partisans recapture Athens! Have alternative ports but irritating. Strategically though, I think Axis will struggle to balance Russia and Balkan threats.

SE Asia - British advance on land supported by US paratroopers and a Chinese army and chase a Japanese L3 sub off coast.

China - Japan is putting more effort here and is pushing nationalists back.

Game 1 Colin Axis

Europe continues to crumble but Japanese are doing fine - destroying another UK land unit in India.

Game 2 Colin Allies

Russians keep pressure up in front of Moscow though he is now showing L4 armour feel he is stalled in Russia though still bloody for both sides.

Allies move inland from Greece, destroying another German army (despite the snow) and recapturing Athens from those pesky partisans.

US paratroopers spearhead allied move into SE Asia - he has almost no ground units there. Japanese put more pressure on China and unleash L3 subs in Indian ocean.

[Rambo - for me Greece works, I get a few Yugoslavian partisans in his rear, threaten Bulgaria and Belgrade, US has L2 mobility so can operate in mountains which limit his countering potential. Allies have 3 ports so are hard to stop reinforcing - the extra one in Greece (Salonica?) really helps Allies - breaking out of Athens alone always used to be hard]

Game 2 - Colin Allied

Allies destroy 2 Japanese fighter units in SE Asia - US paratroopers are being used a lot to bypass poor terrain, dropping into clear tiles. US invades Port Moresby.

Battle of Moscow continues. He loses 3 corps but does have L4 armour lurking. Roughly even here, other areas in Russia seeing very little change in terrain.

Allies move further inland in the Balkans taking the Yugoslavian/Bulgarian mine (not sure which) and heading up the Adriatic coast. He has a cluster of upgraded Balkan corps in bulgaria and some German backing lurking out of carrier range (but not out of TAC bomber range, some air skirmishing ongoing).

Game 2 Colin Allies

Greece and Russia bog down in bad weather, though it doesn't completely halt the conflict. He is showing L4 armour and TAC air. However, he is not making any progress and Allied build-up in the Balkans continues.

SE Asia is falling to quite a fast Allied advance, US paras to the fore.

Port Moresby falls to US armour.

China fight is ongoing.

• 4 weeks later...

Game 1 Colin Axis

Axis are collapsing in Europe but its worth playing on as Japan is doing just fine, deep into India with an excellent Navy.

Game 2 Colin Allies

Big fights with Germany in front of Moscow and a build up for both sides in the Balkans as Allies try to move inland.

In the Far East Japan has collapsed in SE Asia but is aggressive in China.

Game 1 Colin Axis

Germany is about to go under. Japan is doing fine in India though hard pressed in China. So far no major Naval challenge from the Allies.

Game 2 Colin Allies

Moscow falls but Germans still taking casualties, hopefully enough combined with Balkans fight to overextend. Allies continue to expand in the Balkans, Bulgaria surrenders to British paratroopers and more troops pile ashore. Russian partisans grab some small boats and do impromptu Amphibious assault on Black Sea coast.

In the Far East Japan has collapsed in SE Asia but is aggressive in China still. USN very active, is sinking IJN ships last few turns with help from land-based spotting aircraft off coast of SE Asia. No big carrier battle though.

Game 1 Colin Axis

Germany surrenders. The Italians resist a US paradrop. The Japanese keep killing British infantry in India and switch targets in Communist China (very difficult supply) to a Nationalist unit.

Game 2 Colin Allies

Balkans break out continues, Allies drive towards the Danube. Allies have reinforced from 2 (1 UK, 1 US) to four HQ which is making a huge difference in this offensive. Now TAC air gets full leadership as well as ground units and there is effective supply through the Greek mountains.

Russians getting hurt though still manage to kill a poorly supplied German army. Zukhov escapes to rally resistance. More Partisans active in Poland and Russia should help.

This turn Axis take around 4 armies and 1 rocket casualties so I hope he cannot sustain the pace......

Far East - Allies move forwards in SE Asia despite Monsoon grounding elite paratroopers. There are surface naval skirmishes with the carriers still playing cat and mouse.