Nupremal World War Mod AAR

Why just be content with Europe, the whole world beckons………

I am playing mirror games with Nupremal using version 1.09 of his fine global modification. To start with I’ll write up both but will probably concentrate on the one that proves most interesting, quite possibly the one I’m losing least badly in ;-)

AAR 1 Nupremal Allied. Colin Axis.

In the opening 6 months I made some mistakes but some other aspects (tech and weather and sub raiding) were pretty good.

Germany did a standard 2 turn takedown of Poland then launched an invasion of Denmark - despite that this pushes Norway to Allies (they are effectively the same country in this mod). Textbook attack on low countries followed in Feb 1940, thanks to good weather. Brussels was taken, the rail network mobilized and more troops transported in. However, disastrous placement of TAC near Maginot means it is destroyed by aggressive French infantry. My mistake, perhaps Nupremal has tweaked combat factors as I expected it to have survived rather better (I think it would have done under standard WaW/PTO). Decent sub raiding.

The Allies defend France strongly with the BEF but its destroyed. The German assault continues, mopping up Lille and armies from Maginot quite efficiently. A French army does advance into Germany and a German corps is almost killed. Basically, fast but bloody blitzkrieg. My impression is France plays a bit more realistically under the Nupremal modification – France has good forces but the map geometry means they are more out of position. I also like BEF having their own supply source in France.

UK bombs Germany. Rumour has it German generals are coordinating a master plan with Japan and Italy.

AAR 2 Colin Allied. Nupremal Axis.

This game is developing a bit slower due to weather. I’ll write it up in more detail soon but don’t want to flag UK strategy. Poland went down fast. As of March 1940 Germans look to have got decent technology (IW1AT1) and are massing but have yet to enter the low countries. The Royal Navy sinks the German submarine, though it took quite some effort to nail it.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AAR 1 Nupremal Allies. Colin Axis. Spring to Summer 1940.

Germans continue to scour the French countryside, isolating the French armour in Paris where it is entrenched. German paratroopers are in action in France in considerable numbers. Digging in seems to be the order of the day for the Allies, the UK is fortifying London. Elsewhere there are signs of a building confrontation between Italy and UK in North Africa, though Italy is not yet in the war.

AAR 2 Colin Allies. Nupremal Axis. Spring to Summer 1940.

More bad weather grounds the Luftwaffe so it takes him an extra turn to clear Lille and most of the Maginot. Germans are showing signs of improved panzers and have built at least one extra armoured unit. The French counterattack and destroy stormtroopers in front of Paris and damage an army and a corps (the latter with naval support). The French are basically huddling in a large mass around Paris, supported by air and artillery. The French high command complain about lack of support by the British. Its true – if the UK had committed land and air to France I think the Germans would either have had to slow their advance or take more casualties. As it is the RAF has been rather quiet.

Meanwhile in North Africa a similar situation to the other game is emerging, as UK and Italy gear up for a dispute over North Africa. The Russians annexe part of the Balkans which pisses off the Bulgarians.

To me all three starting nations seem well equipped and the balance of units is better than in WaW.

AAR 1 Nupremal Allies. Colin Axis. Autumn 1940.

France falls. Quite some air action over UK - British resist strongly. Italians and British go at it rather indecisively in the desert.

AAR 2 Colin Allies. Nupremal Axis. Autumn 1940

Germany suspiciously quiet after the fall of France, but Finland is tipped into the Axis camp by diplomacy which makes me think Russia will be the target in a big way. British nail another submarine. Like the other game, British and Italians clash around Tobruk but no clear victor. Italian navy is showing up in strength off the coast of Egypt.

AAR 1 Nupremal Allies. Colin Axis. Winter 1941.

Germany knocks Norway down very rapidly. Norwegian partisans spot some worryingly advanced air deployed there - with Finland already Axis could Sweden be next?

Sneak attack by Italian corps in Horn of Africa.

British advance on Tobruk though Italian navy is harassing them.

AAR 2 Colin Allies. Nupremal Axis. Winter 1941.

Axis hammers British in North Africa, a major effort. Rommel shows up a bit late, job was well underway ;-) Battle of Britian died out as Nupremal had a good defense and I needed the air elsewhere.

Overall my focus is North Africa in both games.

Sorry - ignore previous post, got games wrong way round.

AAR 1 Nupremal Allies. Colin Axis. Winter 1941.

Axis hammers British in North Africa, a major effort. Rommel shows up a bit late, job was well underway ;-) Battle of Britian died out as Nupremal had a good defense and I needed the air elsewhere.

AAR 2 Colin Allies. Nupremal Axis. Winter 1941.

Germany knocks Norway down very rapidly. Norwegian partisans spot some worryingly advanced air deployed there - with Finland already Axis could Sweden be next?

Sneak attack by Italian corps in Horn of Africa.

British advance on Tobruk though Italian navy is harassing them.

Overall my focus is North Africa in both games.

AAR 1 Nupremal Allies. Colin Axis.

Italian fleet chases off the UK fleet off North Africa and the Axis land forces advance towards Suez in quite some force. British sally to destroy a Italian corps but lose and Army in return. Elsewhere its pretty quiet with bad weather and a little sub action.

AAR 2 Colin Allies. Nupremal Axis.

Very much a reverse/mirror image. British fleet drive off Italians taking out a sub and battleship for the loss of a battleship. Tobruk falls to UK in an intense assault (2 armour, 2 armies, 1 corps, lots of air).

Sneak attack by Italian corps in Horn of Africa continues. Germans reinforce Finns and start to accumulate in Poland, it looks worrying for the Soviets.

Overall my focus is still North Africa in both games - I figured they are a more important crossroads in a global game but we shall see.

El Alamein is assaulted with quite some Axis casualties - but its taken. Both side's air and navy takes a battering in and around North Africa. Norway taken with a mass paradrop plus amphibious assault - British cruiser in Oslo harbour is left with a problem.....

Allies are busy securing area around Tobruk, Canadian bomber is moved to spot Axis navy but instead runs into Afrika Corps and is lucky to survive. Allied air bomb German tanks to limit this threat - was very surprised to see them this close. Axis is meanwhile accumulating on Russian border but no Barbarossa yet, Finns similarly.

Italian corps rampage in horn of africa.

Game is starting to heat up.

Thanks Rambo.

UK under pressure with its ships active on multiple fronts. British take on the Kriegsmarine off Denmark (losing two cruisers) but get the better of the Naval fight off Egypt with Italy.

Axis threatens Egypt and is winding up for Barbarossa.

Barbarossa is go, Germany, Balkan Allies and Finns coordinate a massed assault only to find Soviets have IW2. Not that this stops the Axis though a German army dies in a local counterattack.

Meanwhile pesky Italian corps hit British colonial positions.

North Africa is an Axis disaster - Afrika Corps retreats after a rather rash advance but leaving behind their armour after the British Navy finishes what the RAF started.

Nupremal has been committing (just) too few land/air resources in North Africa (in both games) to win, but enough to make for significant casualties when they lose. In taking minors and setting up for Barbarossa it is text-book perfect play. His Barbarossa is nicely planned with the Finns as an additional early stress.

In both games Japan > 75% readiness.

Axis storm Alexandria despite fierce resistance, especially from the RAF which is well equipped and numerous. But the Axis are there in force and have the edge on the ground (but not the air). British roll out some new tanks which they plan to test around the Nile by the look of things.

Barbarossa kicks off, Germans reveal IW3 and start to storm Soviet cities. Finns weigh in for the Axis.

British hit Mogadishu, Italian destroyer flees.

His Barbarossa is a bit ahead of mine and shows no sign of slowing. And, Japan now declares for the Axis. Russians grit their teeth and pray for Winter......

We hold our breath and wait for the Japanese to make their move.

In North Africa the DAK continue to retreat, hotly pursued by the British.

AAR 1 Colin Axis.

Axis are stalled by dense British lines with excellent air support in Egypt after taking Alexandria. The Italian Navy is slowly losing at sea but converge on a UK Carrier and sink it.

Ferocious advance in by Axis Russia though.

Japan enters the war.

AAR 2 Colin Allies.

Nupremal's Barbarossa is a bit ahead of mine and might be slowing a little in some areas though his drive in the South is way ahead of my effort.

In North Africa the DAK are being destroyed, a German corps and Italian armour are killed by UK which is using 2 armies, 2 armour a corps and mass air. There is really not a lot left to defend Tripoli. But Italian navy is effective, sinking a battleship and damaging 2 UK cruisers and sending to the bottom the UK sub in the Med. Methinks Italy has spent a lot of MPP repairing its Navy........

Japan amphib transport spotted but its not possible to deduce his strategy yet, could just be isolated island hopping.

AAR 1 Colin Axis.

Axis lose stormtroopers near Alexandria and pull back, though still holding the city, in the face of UK armour. But the British lose a fighter to intense luftwaffe strikes. British retaliate for the carrier - Italian navy is now basically submarines. So, I'm on the back foot in North Africa though its taken a huge concentration of resources from the UK to achieve this.

In Russia, Axis will take Smolensk next turn. I'm limiting the advance to survive the winter better. Russians are rallying around Moscow.

Some Naval action around Norway whilst the RN is distracted (I hope).

Japan is active but no DOWs yet.

AAR 2 Colin Allies.

Nupremal's Barbarossa is doing better in the South than the centre. On the whole I'm happy with the Russian defense - a few local counter attacks made, particularly trying to keep the Finns in line. Some signs in the South that his supply lines are too long - seem to get better odds attacking out of cities that expected though russian IW2 helps.

In North Africa the DAK is reduced to an isolated Rommel, Tripoli has fallen to British armour and the RN cleans up sallying Italian navy.

Japan is attacking Singapore and various islands.

You know, I think I have a problem with the substantial effects that "Russian Winter" causes in campaigns after 1942 Spingtime.:rolleyes:

Why? Because, I'm running the show and I'm a damn might bit smarter than that obliviated Nazi Paperhanger. I'm not letting my valuable soldiers go into a campaign against the Red Army without being properly equipped and by waiting till Spring of 42 represents my attention to that detail.:mad:

How about a decision event for the Spring of 41, accept a lower MPP/turn total for X number of turns if you want to have your units prepare for Winter campaigning.

Let's face it, everyone is affected by severe Winter conditions, its not like its an unknown commodity. Here on the coast we prepare for hurricanes....at least us Texans do..:cool:....well at least the native Texans.

Seamonkey - I propose low cost, single-level winter and jungle and desert and mountain warfare technologies that let properly equipped troops ignore or reduce negative effects and give combat bonus relative to unprepared troops. You only get the right unit shading (Desert Camoflage) if you have the technology and can only specialize in one.

On with the action:

AAR 1 Colin Axis.

Italian sumarine force survives - indeed he takes naval casualties bombarding Rhodes - trying to nail a sub in the harbour.

Axis pull back in North Africa (but still hold Alexandria) - UK comes forwards too fast and loses armour and a corps in the desert.

Axis restart fast in Russia after the worst of the winter - still have excellent momentum. Take Kursk amongst other cities.

Spain shifts towards Axis.

Japan treads softly on express request of the Germans - want to keep USA out of the war for a little longer to let Germans really maul the Russians. No Pearl Harbour.

Some naval skirmishes off Norway as Germans try and get their subs out - causualties on both sides.

AAR 2 Colin Allies.

Nupremal's Barbarossa continues to be effective.

He has partisan troubles in Yugoslavia and Italy is being menaced by the British fleet.

Japan is much more active in his hands (see his post above - he is taking Dutch East Indies too). British reinforce South east Asia but lose a corps to a sub in doing so. Pearl Harbour attack hits the USA.

USA has entered the war.

Naval skirmishes off Norway.

Rambo - Egypt can definately be a trap for the Axis. Basically, though, part of my strategy for Nupremal's mod is based around the idea that this region is more important as a cross-roads for the UK in a world game than a solely European one. I'm wanting to stress the UK for quite a number or reasons.

Quick update for Colin Axis (Game 1) Winter 1942.

A combination of weather and the need to reinforce and rearm slows the pace of the war. But the DAK (actually not Rommel, he is in Russia) continues to get rather more support than he did historically and has some shiny new tanks. Also, the German army in Alexandria is becoming very experienced and continues to be active. British have 2 armies, 1 armour, several air and various corps and garrison and a free French artillery unit facing a smaller but extremely competent Axis force with significant air.

The big news is, thanks to a Japanese ambassador supporting the German and Italian delagations, that Franco decides the Axis will win and declares war on the Allies.

That should increase the pressure on the UK ;-)

We might see the US soon too, though Japan continues to tread softly in the hope of not bringing them in too fast - have a feeling Spain might trigger trouble ;-(

Agreed Colin. If you can take North Africa/Middle East as Axis with crack-team of units, then it pays of. You cannot afford a drain of MMPs though. It must be clear cut victory and a reasonable cost. Having Spain join the Nazi path is a bonus. That would seal the MedFront for your personally swimming pool, buying Italy much protection. Then the Axis can put all their resources where they belong, facing the onslaught coming from the USA/UK in the late game phase.

AAR 1 Colin Axis.

UK assaults Alexandria, severely damaging German army. But in doing so really exposes his infantry to Axis armour and reinforced air and loses 2 armies. Axis brings in a corps.

Russia is quiet due to bad weather, one city falls.

Axis subs running for safe harbour in Spain severely damage a Canadian corps transport heading south.

Japan is oh-so-quiet. USA is not yet in.

Spain starts to mobilize.

AAR 2 Colin Allies.

Nupremal's Barbarossa continues to roll very nicely, he is heading for Moscow. Still partisan trouble in Yugoslavia. Italy and UK battle for dominance of air and sea off Italy. He nails a battleship but is under pressure - Italy must be short on MPP.

Japan attacks Phillipines but is a bit scattered - though his carriers destroy a US fighter.

Turkey drifts towards Axis.

British army and supporting air and ground slows the Japanese in SE Asia.

Italy is very active in horn of Africa, sending a bomber there.

My impression is Japan is harder to play in Nupremal's mod but that is a good thing - its due to having more choice where to go and what to do but you have to organise all those transports and assault boats yourself.

AAR 1 Colin Axis.

UK strikes at Axis air in North Africa killing a fighter. But there is a lot of air power there on the Axis side and with the help of an Italian sub a second carrier is destroyed. The DAK refuels and resupplies. British have 3 air, a decent armour and a few corps/garrisons plus a French artillery unit and lots of navy.

Weather still poor in Russia, a few partisans and an Axis advance on Leningrad but that's about it.

Canadian transport is really unlucky, bumps into the same sub a second time and is sunk.

Spanish menace the Rock (no, not the film star.....).

AAR 2 Colin Allies.

Japanese strike British fighters in India with elite carriers and destroy two in a great move. On the land though he is more bogged down.

Continued fight between UK and Italy in the Med.

Russians dig in and prepare for the battle of Moscow.