Nupremal World War Mod AAR

Game 1 Colin Axis

Fighting escalates in India. Some naval contact - Japanese carriers "shoot and scoot" - sinking surface vessels of the USN then retreating through straits of Singapore where he cannot pusue.

Game 2 Colin Allies

Lots of fighting on floodplains of the Danube. Germans have fewer frontline troops now and are fortifying the Danube. Both sides lose armies and corps this turn. However, Soviets hold Darna which lies beyond the Danube and Allies have upgraded troops with AT TAC3 bombers for the UK and IW3 for both Western Allies, so I believe this will not hold. Not sure Germany ever got IW3.

Russian partisans really kicking in which should let Soviets last until the Winter. Germans deep in Russia but scattered and often at limit of supply which should allow Russians to hold cities with upgraded corps. Zhukhov still coordinates resistance.

Far East - Monsoon slows the action in SE Asia. Allies advance on Singapore and towards China. Japanese take out the Communists but US reinforces Nationalists heavily to ensure regional stability. Nationalists now have armour and air.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks - I will win both these games. However, for the very first time playing it, Colin is a very tough opponent.

I am working hard on global - the map is getting close to being done. It is quite something. The concept will be to have more open ended possibilities in this game and I hope I can do that. Also, the change in game mechanics to account for tech will be a very big change and I don't know what the repercussions of that will be.

The Allied game probably went pear shaped as Spain came in sealing the Med.

This is a great game, actually the best version of SC I've seen and really look forwards to Nupremal's new version. The strategic potential is so much greater in a global game - particularly loved that Axis diplomacy came alive now Japan can actually do something useful here.

Would make UK slightly weaker for play balance and maybe slightly fewer units for speed of play.

I agree Colin, this SC mod has the most open ended strategies of any I ever played, but the drawback is that it takes some time to complete a turn when everyone is active.

I wouldn't mind if I could budget my time better, but life is full of interruptions and its a lot more satisfying to conclude a turn in one sitting.

What is your estimate of doing a turn, timewise with some thought of course, when all the belligerents are at war and their OOBs are full.

Hey, yeah,... you're right, but this is a study, its why I keep soliciting peolple's opinion of the time necessary to complete a turn. I'm evaluating the feature bleed.

There's a certain point you get to where the game is on the threshold of being cumbersome as far as doing turns, PBEM or AI. I'm afraid we may be on the brink and if so perhaps a different line of thought will be required for condensing certain mechanics.

Not sure yet, maybe I think about a turn too long, maybe I should take notes.

What do the players of this scenario think?

This is why I think the scale of Hubert's Global and the simplification of unit types is right. Simplify the tactics for rapid play to keep the strategy the main focus. In most cases the art is to have superior forces at the right time and place rather than to be better at tactical slugfests.

Mind you Nupremal is working on something awesomely large, I think, as his new effort.

For really big games we could use a save option partway through a turn. Also later versions of SC is not always easy to run with other programs, on my computer screen takes ages to reload after switching to something else.