Soldiers only pickup weapons once?

I had a lone survivor from an HQ troop in a silly little MOUT test I just got through conducting. He was an Elite Brit with an L85 still slugging it out with an entire squad in a building about 60-70 meters away. Once he ran out of ammo I had him pick up a minimi via buddy aid to one of the many fallen soldiers. After he ran through that, I sent him back to pick up another weapon (or ammo) from another group of dead/wounded.

But he wouldn't pick up any other weapons after that. He still clung to the minimi despite having no ammo. He passed on 3 other L85's as well as an L86. I know for a fact these weapons were never fired in the test, so the troopers had ammo available.

Can soldiers only pickup replacement weapons/ammo once?

When applying buddy aid, he should have picked up ammo that was available on those he helped. Could they have been out of ammo too?

I think the point here is that the second aided buddy had the wrong ammo for the weapon currently held by the aider.

But there was a weapon for that ammo available which was weaker than the currently held weapon, arguably should be picked up because no ammo for it is around.