Patton or Waw?

Hi, I've so far only had SC2:Blitzkrieg, but now I plan to buy an expation... But which one? Will Patton work without Waw? Also what improvements does it bring when compared to Waw? I am not interested in the fictional east vs west scenarios, just "normal" ww2... I'd be grateful for any tips you can give.

PDE contains more features, most notably Decision Events which give the player the option to make various choices throughout the game. If it's WWII you want, it also contains the Storm of Steel scenario, which starts WWII in the spring of 1939. Plus the AI will be better in PDE than in WAW!

However, WAW contains some great scenarios too, and I really wouldn't want to be without either. Battle for Russia 1941-45 is an awesome scenario. There's also the Spanish Civil War if you fancy trying something a little different...

Just take your pick, enjoy, and pick the other one at a later date! :)

PDE contains more features, most notably Decision Events which give the player the option to make various choices throughout the game. If it's WWII you want, it also contains the Storm of Steel scenario, which starts WWII in the spring of 1939. Plus the AI will be better in PDE than in WAW!

However, WAW contains some great scenarios too, and I really wouldn't want to be without either. Battle for Russia 1941-45 is an awesome scenario. There's also the Spanish Civil War if you fancy trying something a little different...

Just take your pick, enjoy, and pick the other one at a later date! :)

Thanks for the answer, I play mostly against the computer so, how much better is the AI in PDE? is it really a notable difference?

Borsook, you need to get either PDE or PT for their excellent world campaigns by Big Al and Nupremal, not to mention the decision events and upgraded AI.

The one with WaW is not that great, in fact, it is obsolete and so is WaW except for the many wonderful custom scenarios made by the users.

Borsook, you need to get either PDE or PT for their excellent world campaigns by Big Al and Nupremal, not to mention the decision events and upgraded AI.

The one with WaW is not that great, in fact, it is obsolete and so is WaW except for the many wonderful custom scenarios made by the users.

Do you mean that AI in WAw is obsolete? No! It's just kicked my butt (although at the highest difficulty and exp)... I'm buying PDE tomorrow at latest... decided to let PT go though, run the demo for a while and somehow the pacific theater does not work for me...

Yes, the AI is weak........well compared with a human. Hubert & Bill constantly work on the AI, just take a look at the scripts, they can be used to customize AI response.

So anything old does not have the advantage of adjustment or the newer scripts that the development team institutes.

Ha!!! You must be a newbee! No problem, we were all there once ...at least...., more for sure as SC has been around for 7 years. Anytime you fire up one of the many campaigns you have not tried, you become a newbee, exposed to the passion of being a virgin once again.:D

Yes, the AI is weak........well compared with a human. Hubert & Bill constantly work on the AI, just take a look at the scripts, they can be used to customize AI response.

So anything old does not have the advantage of adjustment or the newer scripts that the development team institutes.

Ha!!! You must be a newbee! No problem, we were all there once ...at least...., more for sure as SC has been around for 7 years. Anytime you fire up one of the many campaigns you have not tried, you become a newbee, exposed to the passion of being a virgin once again.:D

I don't know if I am a newbe or not, I played quite a lot of SC2 when it first came out...

Anyway so far the AI in PDE, while definitely different, does not seem better... Espescially the naval AI does strange things (is it a really good idea to buy two subs as SU)...

Borsook, glad to hear the AI is giving you a good run. We spent a lot of time fine tuning the WaW AI scripting and events and while there were some technical improvements to the AI logic for the games that followed I think the WaW AI scripts are probably some of the best as you've noticed.

Reason being that the WaW AI was really the culmination of years of feedback and play testing for the European Theater that the other games have not yet benefited from... but that being said the experience from developing the WaW AI will definitely show in the other games as well as the AI is now the least likely of complaints when it comes to the SC series and by comparison to other similar games in the genre.

Borsook, glad to hear the AI is giving you a good run. We spent a lot of time fine tuning the WaW AI scripting and events and while there were some technical improvements to the AI logic for the games that followed I think the WaW AI scripts are probably some of the best as you've noticed.

Reason being that the WaW AI was really the culmination of years of feedback and play testing for the European Theater that the other games have not yet benefited from... but that being said the experience from developing the WaW AI will definitely show in the other games as well as the AI is now the least likely of complaints when it comes to the SC series and by comparison to other similar games in the genre.

Yes, the AI is really good, one of the best so far! You did a really good job with it! So far from my subjective observations AI in WAW seems indeed to be better, but AI in PDE seems to be more surpizing doing unexpected things sometimes good, sometimes bad... but not boring :)