Schrullenhaft, which driver version do I have?

The last set of digits (in this case, some manufacturers play around with the numbering scheme) indicates your version number. The drivers that came with your card are 6.47. I believe most of the 6.xx drivers should have no problems within CM in regards to FSAA. I'm not sure at what point NVidia changed their FSAA sampling routines, it may have been 7.xx or the 10.xx series.

I'd stick with what you have now if CM is the most important game for you. Some of the newer drivers can be a bit faster, especially in regards to FSAA performance in other games, but they will of course have text problems in CM.

Unfortunately I believe that CM will continue to have problems with FSAA, even with any newer drivers that come from NVidia, since they're probably intent on remaining with their current FSAA sampling methods. If we're lucky, Charles will find a way around the text problem in CMBB, but I wouldn't count on it (without a lot of recoding).

So another question is, if I upgrade to a newer driver and it causes problems can I go back to an older driver without much problem?

Madmatt posted a link to an excellent site that has every Nvida driver available from 3.56 to 14.20

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

Now that brings up another question.

About the "uninstall" part. I tried this once before with my old TNT2 Ultra. I did the "set display driver to Standard VGA thing" once and then upon trying to install just the updated drivers (I think it was the 3.86 drivers at the time), I couldn't restore any display setting above the Standard VGA. I eventually just had to reinstall the drivers and control panel from the CD.

I just found it that it was easier to just run the driver update within the regular display, ie. 16-bit color, etc.. So what I'm asking is do I really have to restore Standard VGA drivers before updating?

[ 07-31-2001: Message edited by: Maximus ]

The answer to this varies. Sometimes it is best to completely remove the NVidia drivers (drivers, registry settings and .INF files), boot and let Windows detect it as an SVGA card and then eventually install the version of drivers you want. I'm not sure why going from the SVGA driver to the latest caused problems for you, most of the installers should get it right, but there is always the chance that something isn't going to cooperate. If you have any "uninstall utilities" running, this may cause problems. It's probably best to close down as many apps and applets as possible before installing software/drivers.

Some people are able to install a new set of drivers over the previous version without going through uninstalling the old set. However there may be problems with this due to registry settings remaining and causing problems or something else "remaining" in the system.

So you can do it either way. If you plan on checking out a lot of drivers you may want to prepare yourself for the possibility that you may have to wipe out Windows and reinstall it (this may not be necessary, but on occasion it may be the best bet for some issues).

Probably not one too much later than the 6.47s you have now. I use 6.49s, which are very little different, and CM works fine if FSAA is forced.

The best piece of advice I can give you is that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your games play fine, don't mess with the drivers.

WWB

• 3 weeks later...

I upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers and I had to turn off forced anti-aliasing because of the corrupted text. I also have a problem where CM reverts to the desktop after launching. The game is still running, but it is minimized. When I maximize CM all I see is a black screen with some white text at the bottom. If I click where I know the buttons should be I can set into the game menu and then everything is fine. I also had this problem with a TCP/IP game yesterday so that I had to quit the game and restart. There was no save file because we hadn't completed a turn yet. What a pain.