Looking for legend of printed map that came with game

The printed map of Syria that came with the hard copy of the game has the invading units in NATO symbols and the invasion routes they are to take. I searched for a thread that might have detail as to exactly what unit is what, but couldn't find anything obvious. I know NATO symbols from my board wargaming days so I can tell that it's the first US Cavalry division on the south flank of the US units coming in from Iraq and I'm going to assume the 1st Cav consists of (confusingly to me ) the 7th (?) armored brigade of the 1st Cavalry or armored division, some undetermined mech infantry brigade and the 1 brigade 4th mech infantry division. I can tell it's a Marine regiment and two air portable Marine battalions coming in from the sea and I assume all European forces (and maybe the Canadians) coming in from Turkey.

Is the 12th of the 10th mech infantry in the north the Brits? Is the FG brigade the Federal Republic of Germany? Is the FR brigade the French? What are the GR and SP battalions?

Is this map obsolete? Thanks for any help explaining any of this.

Stupid edit limits :mad:

My guesses:

GReece

SPain

FG is probably the France-German Bde

12/10 will be the 12th Bde, 10th Pz Div (German)

2/2 could be Canadian.

7th Armd Bde (on the corner of Syria, Jordan, and Iraq) is a UK unit (under command of 1 CAV DIV)

"FG" is "Fallschirmguinness." They're German airborne cross-trained for close cooperation with British forces.

It's an interesting concept. While the FG structure appears to lack some of the initial punch of traditional FJ units, it makes up for it in a greater engagement duration. In any case, the end result is nearly always the same.

French Brigade in CMSF?

It has been discussed before by Steve, and I think it's not going to happen :(

Most likely true but thay could still be represented by a unit on the map.

Edit: I suppose it's possible that when the NATO module is done, the Normandy game won't be done yet and the module team, with nothing to do, will decide to tackle the French Army with maybe, say, the Italians thrown in. How's that for a dream?

Edit: I suppose it's possible that when the NATO module is done, the Normandy game won't be done yet and the module team, with nothing to do, will decide to tackle the French Army with maybe, say, the Italians thrown in. How's that for a dream?

We're talking about two armies with unique kits... That would be sweet, but anyway... I'm mentally prepared to wait 'til CM:SF2 to see Leclercs and VCIs rolling on a german highway to stop the russian wave, with Rafale providing CAS :D

Their main battle tank : the "Ariete", and their IFV "Dardo" for starters... I'll need to dig a little for the rest :)

Thanks. What other NATO country or countries could be included without doing new vehicles if one counts vehicles from all four countries above? Would Spain be one of them?

To complete what is was saying about Italian stuff :

- They also have a unique wheeled tank-destroyer : "Centauro"

- They field a large quantity of variants of the venerable M113 chassis.

I'll post about Spain later.

Okay, thanks. I know this is all wild speculation but I'm wondering who would make an easy add on for Battlefront to a French module if they did decide to do one in the end. It sounds like it wouldn't be the Italians.

e.png Spain (NATO/EU member)

Spanish Weapons:

[ger] H&K USP - 9 mm pistol (reglamentary weapon).

[ger] H&K G36E - 5.56mm assault rifle (standard service rifle).

[ger] H&K AG36 - under-barrel 40 mm grenade launcher.

[ger] H&K MG4E - 5.56 mm light machine gun.

[ger] Rheinmetall MG 3 - 7.62 mm general purpose machine gun.

[uk] Accuracy International AW50 - 7.62 mm sniper rifle (Known in the U.K. with the L96A1 designation).

[usa] Barrett M95 - .50 (12.7×99mm) bolt-action sniper rifle.

[usa] M2HB - 12.7 mm heavy machine gun.

[sp] SB-40 LAG - 40 mm automatic grenade launcher.

[sp] Instalaza C-100 Alcotán - 100 mm disposable anti-tank rocket launcher.

[ger] Leopard 2A4 Main Battle Tank (Being upgraded to the A6 standard).

[ger&sp]Leopard 2E5 (A6) 'Leopardo' Main Battle Tank (It's a derivative of the 2A6, with greater armour protection).

[it] B1 Centauro 105 mm wheeled tank-destroyer.

[sp&a] ASCOD 'Pizarro' Infantry Fighting Vehicle (Designated 'Ulan' in the Austrian Army).

[sp] Pegaso VEC M1 6x6 Cavalry Reconnaissance Vehicle.

[sp] Pegaso BMR M1 6x6 wheeled Armoured Personnel Carrier (There is a Sapper Combat Vehicle (VCZ) version, too).

[usa] M113A1/A2 Armored Personnel Carrier 'TOA' (There are Infantry, Anti-tank (TOW/MILAN) and Sapper Combat Vehicle (VCZ) designs).

[sp] URO VAMTAC HMMWV vehicle (An Spanish-made version of the Humvee. They look the same).

[sp] Santana Aníbal 4WD all terrain utilitary vehicle (Built on the basis of the Land Rover 109).

[it] IVECO 'Lince' 4WD Light Multirole Tactical Vehicle.

[sa] RG-31 Mk5E 'Nyala' Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) 4WD tactical vehicle.

Spanish Artillery Assets:

[uk] L118A1 Light Gun 105 mm towed howitzer.

[usa] M109A5 155 mm self-propelled howitzer.

[sp] ECIA L65/60 - 60 mm light mortar.

[sp] ECIA L65/81 - 81 mm medium mortar.

[sp] ECIA L65/120 - 120 mm heavy mortar.

Spanish Air Assets:

[ger,sp,it&uk] Eurofighter 'Typhoon' (It can be found in the Air Forces of U.K., Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria and Saudi Arabia).

[usa] Mc Donnell Douglas F-18 'Hornet' (Spanish Air Forces use)

[usa] AV-8B Harrier II (Found in the Navy of the U.S., Italy and Spain).

[eu] Eurocopter 'Tigre' - attack helicopter (Found in the French, German, Spanish and Australian Army).

Of course, the heavier Spanish weapons to model in BF:SF would depend on the units deployed in the Turkish border.

Hmm, maybe a French/Italian/Spanish module would generate enough interest to make a fourth module economically viable. Would be a lot of new vehicles though.

I think a French/Polish module might work too. Some quick research shows they use a mix of German and Russian equipment. You'd have a Blue force with Red vehicles. Sure you could fudge that already now but the real thing would be interesting.

Another vote for the Spanish. Just to make sure you know, however, the NATO module will have the Germans, Dutch and Canadians. What we're talking about here is a highly speculative 2nd NATO module with the French and possibly another NATO country or two.

I will love play with spanish units in the NATO Module.

Hate to say this, but only German, Dutch, and Canadian units are planned for NATO. We're calling it "NATO" for now because it's a lot shorter than saying "The German, Dutch, and Canadian Module." ;)

I would like to see Spanish and French units in the game at some point, but it's probably not going to happen.