OK guys, where to get a custom rig built nowadays?

Agua

The last one I had made back in 2003 I had Monarch Computer Systems build it. At that time, you couldn't buy the components from newegg, put it together, and save more than $40. That was the second build out they did for me and my experience with them was they had top notch customer service.

Got to looking around 6+ years later, find that Monarch apparently jumped the shark with their customer service and has been out of business for several years.

Who out there nowadays puts together top component / bottom dollar boxes?

TiA

I just bought a custom pre-built rig back in March from CyberpowerPC. They got pretty cheap prices with solid customer support. They've won tons of awards too going back several years now. I remember a few people from Toms hardware and Firingsquad tech sites compared some builds part by part with Newegg and found a very small price difference, less than $50 saved overall.

Unless you enjoy building your own, now a days, the price savings aren't as much as they once were. But of course if you went to places like alienware or falcon northwest, then you'll still be paying an arm and a leg.

Oh, by the way, a few tips for anybody interested, customize the ones with the free shipping tag. I was able to customize those to almost anything I needed. And search for discount codes, google "cyberpowerpc discount codes" or similar, you should find something out there for even more savings. You can also search their forums as well.

Ok I'll shut up now, before I start sounding like a sales rep. :P

The last one I had made back in 2003 I had Monarch Computer Systems build it. At that time, you couldn't buy the components from newegg, put it together, and save more than $40. That was the second build out they did for me and my experience with them was they had top notch customer service.

Got to looking around 6+ years later, find that Monarch apparently jumped the shark with their customer service and has been out of business for several years.

Who out there nowadays puts together top component / bottom dollar boxes?

TiA

Yeah, I have heard good things from cyberpower and ibuypower on custom rigs for good prices.

http://www.ibuypower.com/

Please tell us about your experience with your new rig. My old Alienware is almost 7 years old and I'm looking at getting a new rig in summer 2010.

I'm seriously confused these days as far as CPUs are concerned. The list of Quad- and Dual Cores is longer than my elbow, and I have no clue how to compare that power with my current 5000+ AMD X2.

Otherwise the prices look pretty good, but for all I know I picked the worst CPU ever.

Yeah, every time ya go to buy a new rig, you have to study for weeks to catch up on what's happened over the intervening X years.

Yeah, I have heard good things from cyberpower and ibuypower on custom rigs for good prices.

Please tell us about your experience with your new rig. My old Alienware is almost 7 years old and I'm looking at getting a new rig in summer 2010.

Thanks. Prices look pretty decent.

Frankly, after I got to looking around on the cyberpower site and seeing what was out nowadays, there doesn't appear to have been much increase in raw CPU power since I bought my 3 gig dual core back in 2003. Not really sure its worth all the expense just to plug in a gazillion megs of DDR-3 in a new mobo.

Thanks. Prices look pretty decent.

Frankly, after I got to looking around on the cyberpower site and seeing what was out nowadays, there doesn't appear to have been much increase in raw CPU power since I bought my 3 gig dual core back in 2003. Not really sure its worth all the expense just to plug in a gazillion megs of DDR-3 in a new mobo.

Hmm, this doesn't sound right. You got a 3.0Ghz dual core in 03, are you sure it's dual core? Reason I ask is because I got my old Alienware rig back in x-mas of 2002 and was a single core 3.0Ghz. Think it was the best or very near the top end. Hell the best dual core I found just a few months ago was only 3.3Ghz.

I decided to go with the quadcore Q9550 @ 2.83GHz myself. The quads offer much more power, but the problem is that as of today, few apps/programs take advantage of them.

Agua,

You might try CompAmerica, a small firm which builds killer computers from minis on up and backs what it sells. Was seriously considering buying a rig from it when I had a PC only business requirement a few years back--before the Intel Macs came out. In deference to the rules, I've posted no link.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 4 weeks later...
Hmm, this doesn't sound right. You got a 3.0Ghz dual core in 03, are you sure it's dual core? Reason I ask is because I got my old Alienware rig back in x-mas of 2002 and was a single core 3.0Ghz. Think it was the best or very near the top end. Hell the best dual core I found just a few months ago was only 3.3Ghz.

I decided to go with the quadcore Q9550 @ 2.83GHz myself. The quads offer much more power, but the problem is that as of today, few apps/programs take advantage of them.

Yeah, it was the first Intel with the 800 fsb - April 2003. P4 3.0 (Preston, I believe was Intel's architecture designation).

Ibuypower.

(oh, saw someone posted it already)

FWIW...the other day I noticed the director of our microscope facility using a computer that was "glowing" from internal lights. I took a closer look at his rig and noticed that it is an ibuypower computer. He said it is an excellent gaming rig and that he is using one at the lab for intense graphical computations/presentations.