New film - Forgotten Soldier

Nice teaser.

Appearantly they aren't big on tidying up the horrors of war. Looks like its gonna be a blatant and bloody film, with lots of graphic human suffering.

Hopefully there will be at least SOME acting, character developement, plot, and continuity of story to tie it all together.

Will it make theatres in Canada? who knows.

what comes to total lack of dramatic plot & love story, bizarre documentary style of a director etc, don't forget the Finnish "Tali-Ihantala" movie.

a convenient full length preview is available on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm9cjgR9WaQ

remember to buy the movie if you like it.

if nothing else, you see running WW2 gear like T-34s & StuGs. (EDIT: and perhaps learn bits of Finno-Soviet WW2 history)

Could I be forgiven for thinking that this looks not much more quality than the filming of a few dozen reenactors who were willing to get their uniforms dirty?

what comes to total lack of dramatic plot & love story, bizarre documentary style of a director etc, don't forget the Finnish "Tali-Ihantala" movie.

a convenient full length preview is available on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm9cjgR9WaQ

To my eye, "Tali-Ihantala" looks much more like a movie than the "Forgotten Soldier" linked above.

As far as I know, documentary-style films have been conspicuously absent among WW2 motion pictures. What is a "total lack of dramatic plot" to one person is a "realistic absence of Hollywood-ization" to another.

if nothing else, you see running WW2 gear like T-34s & StuGs.

And an airworthy Fw-190! :D

Did my eyes deceive me, or was that a 'living', 'breathing' KV-1? The first film had some pretty dodgy MP-44 mock ups, though the online LOTR film shows how technology is allowing amateurs a real chance at making professional looking films. I predict a growing group of people will be making movies like this:

there's also ISU-152 and some light tanks. pay attention to the StuG turning rate and weep when you watch it rotate in CMBB: :)

note that the "preview" is 11 videos long on youtube.

i am all for higher realism and such, and it's great that all the actions are based on actual historical events, but frankly i find the movie painful to watch (for example the constant stream of "medic!" scenes where soldiers are tending each other). also, casual viewers most likely end up forming a bit strange idea about the scale of the covered operations.

Reminds me of the US after action reports in 44 regarding the Panthers steering system, because the beast could throw one track in reverse and the other forward, in a neutral turn, it could spin quickly. The, lets flank the Panther whilst the rest of the platoon is engaging/hiding from it often fell apart as the Panther rotated, on the spot so quickly the flanking Sherman was often KO'd as well. Of course such an ability comes from a more complex drive system which results in greater chances of breakdown. Youtube is buggering about at the moment but I will watch the remaining clips.

Final point, I wonder if CM 2 Normandy will reproduce the 30-60 ft turning circles of the M4?

it doesn't have a real plot. it's more a collection of small stories.

you noticed that the linked youtube "preview" contains english subtitles? quality is a bit low though -- some phrases are translated word for word and military terminology is not too accurate (e.g. "patteristo" is translated as "battery", where as it actually means whole artillery battalion).

My eyesight is rather less than it was 20 years ago, and the subtitles are blury and hard to read. (they also distract from the flow of the movie)

The small stories are tied together within an overall plot which is subtle yet noticable.

We are arguing irrelevencys now....

The next step is oblique genital bragging, adolescent posturing, and "your momma's so fat" jokes.

Or we can settle this with a QB

Send a turn to... mr_laurier_iiooii@yahoo.com

Since you are Finnish, you might want to let me be soviets

Is 1000 points good?