Objectives, triggers, reinforcements & locked units

I have an idea how to tune up the current reinforcement model. At the moment, reinforcements are independent from the actions on the battlefield; they are only triggert by time. It's generally the same static model of CMx1.

My idea is: how about triggering reinforcements with objectives? A simple example: You start with a recon unit and an enemy AT unit as unit objective. As soon as you have destroyed the enemy AT unit, your armored reinforcements will arrive (maybe with a random delay if preset). So, instead of getting points, you get units that enables you to continue your mission. Imaginable would be also to combine objectives with a timelimit. This would open a wide spread of possibilities with the different types of unit and map objectives.

If this idea is developed further, it could be imaginable to get resupply as reward for completing an objective. That would make sense at least during a campaign.

Another idea are locked units on map. This units can take and maybe return fire on there own, but the player can not give any orders to them, what's from a program standpoint similiar to a pinned unit. To unlock this units, you must complete a triggered objective.

As for campaigns, how about preserving the status of a map with units, the map damage and maybe destroyed units on the map, so the same battle must be virtually played again, but maybe with (or against) reinforcements and resupply (see above -> triggered resupply)? Example: to complete a mission you MUST take three buildings on the map. If you don't fully complete the mission, you must try again. Maybe it would make sense to refine the trigger that moves you (or not) to next battle by triggering not only by won/not won, but by the victory level?

Would love to see this kind on reinforcements in action. Now it's hard to make a scenario reinforcements work for all kinds of players. Some players are more cautios and move slower. Active objective/unit based reinforcements sounds great. It's much easier to make reinforcements appear at right time.

We definitely want to expand the AI Scripting tools and "triggers" is the obvious way to do that. I can't say what will get into the game and when, but can say I'm definitely an advocate for certain behaviors which are trigger related.

Steve

That's awesome.

I'm looking at something like this right now. I'm building a scenario that features a motorized convoy traversing a road; I'm trying to synchronize an ambush by having a Syrian reinforcement truck appear infront of the convoy's path and then having reinforcement combatants appear in various places around the vehicles.

However, predicting when a player reaches "the magic line" is almost too difficult to conceive, and realistically, I think they would make it there within 5 minutes, anyways.

Glad to hear that Steve, i hope we get that soon :P

De Savage, i'd rather have a percentage probability of casualties on reinforcements, just to add a bit more challenge and to simulate unpredictable battlefield events, like armor breakdowns, casualties taken in ambushes, etc. That way you'd never get the same amount of reinforcements.

Triggers can do even more as only trigger reinforcements. For example they could switch on/off other objectives. They could also be combined with a timer; for example - you must occupy a building an hold it for at least x minutes before the objective is completed; or maybe trigger an event.