Syrian Smoke??

Hi, I couldnt seem to find any threads on this topic, so perhaps I am the only one with this issue?

I cant seem to pop smoke as the syrians. The option is there, and the purple line comes out of the unit when I click it, but no smoke appears? Am I missing something?

Cheers

Although Soviet vehicles are supposed to dump diesel on the engine as defensive smoke - that isn't modelled. I would love to see a syrian BMP reversing through a rapidly expanding smoke screen from the engine as they come up against something nasty.

Chucking smoke mortars 150m ahead just isnt as effective in that situation

Although Soviet vehicles are supposed to dump diesel on the engine as defensive smoke - that isn't modelled. I would love to see a syrian BMP reversing through a rapidly expanding smoke screen from the engine as they come up against something nasty.

That's an issue for the new patch! Seems quite important to me, it would have a direct impact on combat.

Yes but in the game they deploy is with smoke mortars that fire it 150m in front of the tank.

In real life, soviet armour has the ability to spray diesel fuel on the hot engine, creating smoke immediately around the vehicle. That is the reason why early armour like T-55's do not have smoke mortars - because they could already deploy smoke anyway.

Here is a video of what I mean.

It isnt good for the engine but 105mm APFSDS is worse :P

I am not sure what the smoke mortars are for but I have heard the term 'offensive smoke' thrown around

Edit - Sorry Sgt Joch, I missed the point of your post. Its an interesting video though so I'll keep it up

Ironically, BFC ignored exhaust screening smoke as a rarely used ex-Soviet oddity. Now Challenger 2 is about to be fielded and the lack of exhaust screening smoke is becoming more noticeable in gameplay. Same goes for leaving out animations of Russian tank guns auto-elevating after firing to facilitate reloading. With Challenger 2 that also goes from rare ex-Soviet oddity to the dominant common procedure.

Unfortunately at this point in CMSF we're not likely to see many new 'feature' unless they can be carried over into the WWII title as well. Exhaust smoke screens and auto-elevating gun barrels aren't really applicable to WWII.

I feel terrible for saying this but how hard can it be to add? Just creating a smoke source on the vehicle deck at a touch of a button can't be that difficult can it?

*que long explaination about how non coders shouldn't say things like this...

i guess it wont bee too hard but if they just do a button wich makes the vehicle produce smoke, this gives the RED player unlimited smoke then. there needs to be a way to limit it. sooner or later they "should" implement it as they plan the modern area symetrical game. i guess we will also see some old BMP1 and 2s again and this time the "odd ex soviets" will have them. this cries for engine smoke :D

thats how i see it.