Men of War

kulik

Hey guys i just found a super RTS game that is called "Men of War", its like company of heroes, but much slower, tactical and far more realistic. (its stuck somewhere between COH and TOW)

Since im not much into clickfests the slower tempo and the "smarter player wins" style suits me perfectly.

Check out some videos on youtube and play the demo.

Actually it's the same dev team that made Soldiers: Heroes of WWII, very similar to the Commandoes series. It's not a typical RTS game, more the thinking mans version of it. I really got into the original years ago. I think somebody had a thread about this game a while back.

I did just happen to DL and try the demo last night though. It certainly brought back the memories. I see they didn't change much, kinda a good thing and a bad thing. Although I'll probably end up picking this one up much later in the bargain bin.

So how does Men of War compare to the new Theater of War 2?

hey look similar. I heard MoW does not have a slirmish mode for single player battles. Does TOW?

TOW looks more polished, but I am not crazy about Afrika only battles. Wanted to get some opinions before I download a demo or two.

Hey guys i just found a super RTS game that is called "Men of War", its like company of heroes, but much slower, tactical and far more realistic. (its stuck somewhere between COH and TOW)

Since im not much into clickfests the slower tempo and the "smarter player wins" style suits me perfectly.

Check out some videos on youtube and play the demo.

Sounds interesting because I have low "twitch-factor."

Thanks for the info. i just saw the positive review of MoW at IGN. It seems to be getting good reviews from critics and fans.

hey look similar. I heard MoW does not have a slirmish mode for single player battles. Does TOW?

TOW looks more polished, but I am not crazy about Afrika only battles. Wanted to get some opinions before I download a demo or two.

Hard to compare MOW with TOW2. The TOW2 is hard core simulation and MOW uses realism to raise its fun factor.

What is the bad thing about TOW? For me it was the fact that if you want to have overview to comand troops you have to zoom out so you dont see those good lookink models and effects. In MOW they reduced the distance ratio in about 1:10, so if you fire at tank 100m away the shell will loose power as if it was fired at tank 1000 meters away. It may seem weird but its works great and let you enjoy the details like burning people on fire jumping out vehicles after hits. And of course every shot (smal arms included) has its balistics. ...so its not realism but its surely seems like realism. :)

The second great thing in MOW is physics. Iv seen like flying part of wall from exploded house killed my soldier, or like fallin tree destroyed my jeep, fire that spread between houses bushes and trees etc. And of course every object like the ruble or wrecks can be used as cover.

And finaly the third great thing is the content. It has germans, usa, brits, soviets and in free expansions there will be even japs and pacific theater and of course 1939-1945 epochas.

I think my statement that its stuck between Company of heroes and Theatre of war is accurate. Its still like watching Band of brothers, but you dint get the HP bars for tanks and all the silly things from COH.

The demo will give you some answers, but the multiplayer is about 5 times much more fun.

I wasn't that keen on the micro management and the lack of a single player skirmish mode in SHOWW2 so I don't think I'll get this game. I like to control squads not have to tell each soldier when to use a molotov cocktail instead of a frag grenade. If they sorted these things out so you controlled squads and they used the appropriate weapon it would be more attractive, but that's the style of game it is so it's fans probably like it that way.

I wasn't that keen on the micro management and the lack of a single player skirmish mode in SHOWW2 so I don't think I'll get this game. I like to control squads not have to tell each soldier when to use a molotov cocktail instead of a frag grenade. If they sorted these things out so you controlled squads and they used the appropriate weapon it would be more attractive, but that's the style of game it is so it's fans probably like it that way.

Well the skirmish mode is added through mod. Its dynamic campaign generator, so its much better than simple skirmish. You order which part of battlefield you will attack and what to deffend, with the resources you have.

I didn't play SHOWW2, but the soldiers in MoWe are quite smart and will do their best to survive. They seek cover when under fire, throving AT grenades on tanks when they are close and frag grenades on infantry. They behave like you order them if you set the orders to "move at will" or "deffend" and for attacking "fire at will" "return fire" "don't shoot". The squads share ammo, grenades, medkits and weapons so no need for micromanagement in this way. Give the demo a try it shows some of the features, so you will now better after you played it, but it doesen't show the best part- multiplayer.

The ToW series and MoW really aren't very comparable. You only command a single squad of infantry in MoW versus the company sized and much more in ToW. But the control you have over this squad is in great detail from managing weapons, ammo, mines, AT weapons, etc. You can also take control of tanks, field guns, APCs. There's also a direct control feature, it feels like a FPS in this mode, but the view is still RTS.

It's definitely worth downloading the demo to try. Just don't don't expect a game anywhere similar to ToW. Really the only these games have in common is the view/RTS angle and the WWII era.

It is getting decent reviews as well, http://www.gamerankings.com/pc/944723-men-of-war/index.html

The ToW series and MoW really aren't very comparable. You only command a single squad of infantry in MoW versus the company sized and much more in ToW. But the control you have over this squad is in great detail from managing weapons, ammo, mines, AT weapons, etc. You can also take control of tanks, field guns, APCs. There's also a direct control feature, it feels like a FPS in this mode, but the view is still RTS.

I have to disagree with you in the thing that in MoW you control just a single squad of infantry. Its true that you have the possibilities to micromanage every soldiers and thats really needed in mission where you have just a couple of guys. But apart of that there are missions where you control manny squads and vehicles. Even in multiplayer you have possibilities to set unit cap to 160 point while 1 squad of 6 men is 6 points and most tanks are worth 20-110 points.

The TOW is simulation while MoW is more like "Band of Brothers" or "Saving private Ryan".

I have to disagree with you in the thing that in MoW you control just a single squad of infantry. Its true that you have the possibilities to micromanage every soldiers and thats really needed in mission where you have just a couple of guys. But apart of that there are missions where you control manny squads and vehicles. Even in multiplayer you have possibilities to set unit cap to 160 point while 1 squad of 6 men is 6 points and most tanks are worth 20-110 points.

The TOW is simulation while MoW is more like "Band of Brothers" or "Saving private Ryan".

So I assume you own MoW, I do not and was really comparing the original Soldiers game. This is new to the series, IIRC this was not the case in the original. I think all you controlled was a single squad.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a realism add-on (which is still in beta) which increases the weapon ranges substantially in the game. I just bought Men of War. It's cheap, 30 bucks. I'm quite amazed at what they have done with the original concept of Soldiers Heroes of WWII. The soldiers really do make some pretty sophisticated battlefield decisions compared to other RTS's.

I think it would be difficult to say that the scale of TOW is bigger. The maps are bigger, but the number of on-screen units is heavily tilted toward Men of War. At the end of the failed second Russian mission, I had destroyed 679 German infantrymen and numerous tanks. I agree, I wish they had gone to a squad-unit concept like in a more serious wargame. Apparently you can work with squad units at least in the MP game version.

Also, the scenario editor appears to be a winner and very heavily featured.