Can you see airplanes / Apaches in game?

Sapper64

The fastmovers would only be over even the largest maps for a second or two, so why bother.

The helicopters would only be over the map for a few seconds as well. It doesn't bother me at all, especially since they added the sounds of the aircraft. The sounds, to me, make all the difference, not whether I see a jet pop in for 2 seconds.

Akd,

Why awkward with 'copters?

As mentioned, their "approach" appears to be random and they will sometimes fire into the "sides" (i.e. beyond the edges) of the map if there are large changes in elevation. But also, the sounds don't match up with the nonexistant actors. In many cases what you hear would suggest they should be visible, e.g. a Kiowa making a gun run would not be at 20,000 ft or firing from 5 miles away, and it doesn't sound like it is in game. Creates the impression of a noisy ghost flying about wreaking havoc.

To be sure, the exclusion of helicopters would appear to be more a resource management issue, not a realism issue. And of course air assets in CMSF are immune to counter action by the enemy. It would probably just add frustration to the red side to be able to see something you should be able to fire on and not be able to. All in all, a very minor disappointment and absolutely not something on which you would decide whether or not to purchase the game.

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying CMSF and can't see anywhere if the air support is purely "off-screen" or if you can see the jets / Apaches flying across the screen.

I assume the former, but would like the latter :)

Thanks in advance!

Aircraft and helos are off-screen, but it doesn't detract much from the game imho, ymmv

Where do you live? If you live in the states or Canada check the bargain bin at your computer stores for copies of CMSF. Amazon.com sells this fair game starting at $5USD.

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Mission-Shock-Force-Pc/dp/B000PWUZ2Q/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1234651530&sr=8-1

Happy hunting!

:)

By doctrine, wouldn't the Apaches be at standoff ranges (1-3mi) when using the chain gun or Hellfires? Hard to see anyway...

I remember seeing lots of footage from OIF of Marine Cobras almost on top of and orbiting their targets, though...

I'm with Seabee, the sound fx alone are most impressive (especially with subwoofers and the bass maxed-out).

I especially enjoy the 'Sawed-Off Shotgun of Beelzebub' 2.75inch rocket runs! I'm playing "Clean Sweep" right now and just had a rocket run take out one of those pesky BMP's. Nice...

So... the only difference between an F15 and an F16 as modelled in the game is the loadout then?

No other tactical differences?

As far as CMSF is concerned, there's no real tactical difference between an F15E Strike Eagle and an F16C Block 50/52 -- both are quite capable (to cite a specific tactical example) of dropping a 2000 lb bomb squarely onto a bunker day or night.

As far as why neither fixed-wing aircraft or helicopters are not visible in-game: even to model helicopters would require an unwieldy amount of new code, and it could easily turn into a can-of-worms kind of thing in terms of not looking good enough, not being aerodynamically accurate, etc.

The off map air doesn't detract from the game, but it would very cool if they could get helicopter to be seen for a future module idea:

CMSF SPECIAL FORCES: Green berets, rangers, navy seals, marine recon with all the special equipment they use. Air assault with infantry that repel from helicopters. The only problem is that they are usualy small teams, but if you add airborne infantry it could make for some big missions.

Thanks guys for all the help... it looks a really great game, I'll be buying it, but not at $5 Patrocles - I'm in the UK and things tend to be a wee bit more expensive over here :(

Sapper I am also in the UK. If you are not buying the Marine addon at the same time, I recommend that after installation you immediately check for and install the latest patch.

First release was extremely flakey in my opinion.

Yeah, you definitetly MUST update to the latest patch (1.11 as I write, but 1.2 is not so far away, I believe). And after a while, I'm pretty sure you'll want to get the Marines add-on, so it's probably worth getting the two bundled.

And no, I don't work for the company. Just a happy punter who has hardly looked at another computer game in the last year or so.