Wargamer reviews SC2-PT

Very fair review and I thank Doug for putting that one together as it is quite obvious he played the game thoroughly with a good understanding of all the game mechanics and overall design.

One thing I should add is that while the base game system is well recognized, Bill Runacre truly deserves all the credit for the fantastic Operation Z campaign as well as many of the smaller campaign designs included in the release. I'll also gladly tip my hat once again to Robert Carver and Moonslayer for their campaign inclusions as well :)

Hubert

Hi Tony

Regarding the ship speeds, I think that the answer lies in this quote from the review: "The slow speed of ships means that players have to decide their priorities very carefully".

If we were to make them much quicker then it would change the dynamic of the game quite considerably, and I strongly doubt that it would be for the better.

The Japanese navy can operate on interior lines for most of the game, so within a few turns their fleet can move from Japan to just about anywhere that it's needed. But the allies have further to travel, and are operating on exterior lines, so they need to plan their offensives more carefully.

For instance, if in mid 1942 the Royal Navy were to sail to help defend Eastern Australia, it is leaving the Indian coast wide open. Consequently such a move entails a significant risk, therefore creating a good strategic problem for the player. I also think that the tempo of US amphibious invasions works better as a result.