Base Upgrade

Hello to all first time blogger love playing the game but I have a question about bases. Is it possible to upgrade a base such as Truk a major base for the Japanese but its only a 5 does the game allow an upgrade or is this something that has to be done using the editor changing the campaign at the start to allow upgrades ?

Thanks

coolpepaw60

Coolpepaw60,

First I would like to be the first to welcome you these forums. You definitely being a new member decided to join at a turbulent time to say the least.

Anyway to answer your question no there is no way that you can upgrade Truk so that it will have a supply of ten in the game. What you could do is upgrade its Aircraft defenses. Other than that to make it a supply of ten you would have to use the editor to create Truk as a city and then as an Industrial center which will give it a supply of ten. Alternatively you could also make towns have a supply of ten. Your choice. Hope this helps.

Thanks Scott for the help I had looked through the rules but had not found anything so I decided to jump into the forum and get some help. This forum has been really great to read and learn from the guys with alot of playing time and experience and the other stuff I just let go on by.

coolpepaw60

Sounds good to me coolpepaw60.

Because of what your question was it's likely in small pieces around the manual. As to be honest with you you're incorporating multiple parts of the game in just one question, actually it’s not the game it’s the editor which I find to be quite often better then the game.

CPw60, welcome, you can enhance the base with an HQ, thereby giving your deployed units a supply basis of 8. This means at best those surrounding units(in AP cost 1 terrain) would have a supply of 7, being one tile away.

Usually bases that do not have a communication/rail net connection suffer from reduced supply.

Hi coolpepaw60

Welcome to the forums!

Truk can be changed in the editor so that it could provide supply of 10 by making it either an Industrial Centre or a Supply Centre. You would also need to change the town into a city.

The reason it isn't at this level in the game is that it lacked the facilities to fully repair ships, only ports in Japan had that ability.

I think that cool has a good idea here. During the war the US did a lot of upgrading to ports, etc. Here's something that you could perhaps allow the engineers to do? That would give the US player a good reason to purchase them.

Yes, like SSI's Pacific War, which allowed (albeit slowly) upgrades of port and airbases by engineers.

Slow would be fine. In fact that would give the US player more incentive to purchase more for more places. If they could do that, build harbors where none are (slooooowly) and build airfields too ( a little less slowly!) I think that would give the game a lot more flavor!

Again I'll reiterate my past statement of the use of engineer built fortifications to accomplish that task (enhanced basing).

As you add to the number of sides of an improved position(fort) an engineer unit generates you build a better %efficiency/supply base.

Start with a one side fort next to a 50%/5 supply base you get 50%/5 supply, all four sides yield 80%/8. By itself, no 50% port or town adjacent, you'll get 10%/1 up to 40%/4 supply from one to four sided fortifications, but remember an HQ stationed in the vicinity will enhance that efficiency.

One additional enticement for using engineers and to simulate a support base is that to deploy aircraft you must have a one sided fortification to simulate the needed logistics. Now we have an airbase capability. Think how long it will take to build a large airfield to base 4 aircraft units in proximity to your forward operations (will China be so easy now). Engineer capabilities may need some tweaking.

If we enhance the TAC air units ability to degrade land units more effectively than CAGs, well...perhaps you can see how islands may become more important. Carry it a little further, reducing the air(bomber) defense CTV of Naval Tech upgraded naval units and your island based TACs will dish out more damage to opponents marauding fleets. By the way BB's air defense(CTV) should start at 0 for the Z campaign, maybe for CAs and DDs also, as it was later in the war that the effectiveness of anti-air weapons and tactics came about (that's what naval tech upgrades should simulate).

Not only that, obviously these newly created bases are subject to degradation by air and naval bombardments where the aircraft would suffer the accompanying effects.

Now can we picture a little better simulation of the Pacific War's dynamics?

Hey guys thanks for all in input I do like the engineer idea and the time would need to be worked out you would not want every other base to be a 10 but it could add some flavor to the game and make for some interesting strategies you would have to think about what base to upgrade if Truk was a major base and the Japanese could work from there with their carriers would they be more aggressive and try to catch the American carriers early if they didn't have to go all the way back to Japan for complete repairs and would the Americans try to knock it out and send the Japanese navy back to Japan . I don't have the experince some of you guys have so don't know if it would work out but a tweak here and there and those engineers can do wonders.