Iran has the technology

*Shrug* I'm not praising the accomplishment or anything. I'm just noting the newsworthy item that has some relevance to a lot of discussions on this board. Just conversation.

Still, if it was as ho-hum as you say, then nobody would be alarmed by Iran's developments in missiles and rockets. But many people are alarmed.

After all, you could say the same thing about atomic bombs.

I kind of agree with you, actually. These developments are inevitable. Ultimately, "non-proliferation" policies are as patronizing and futile as trying to keep countries from manufacturing light bulbs or internal combustion engines.

It's not just an accomplishment; some people view it as threat. If you can lauch a satellite, you can launch a warhead.

Except that in most cases, it's the other way around. Satellite launching capability usually comes naturally after you can figure out how to put a warhead in space.

If it is true - a big if, given Iran's history of lying about and inflating it's technical advances - it is only worrisome if it means that they have developed a sufficiently reliable launch system. Such a development might imply significant advances in their ballistic missile technology. The two capabilities go hand-in-hand.

Too bad we just can't park a nice heavy ABM laser system in stationary orbit above them...

There's a video here, with about 10 replays in a row.

http://tinyurl.com/df7zmp

After they finally show the rocket gaining altitude, it sounds like they're shouting "Allahu ackbar" in the background. That's not disturbing.

This site has a track on the satellite:

http://www.n2yo.com/?s=33506

Why shouldn't this be a big deal for Iran? They managed to join the spacefaring club with fewer resources than any of the other members.

Well, if you don't count a gazillion gallons of oil.

Think North Korea is just a wee bit shorter on the resources.

But North Korea has never launched anything into orbit. They claimed to have done so, but that was never confirmed.

The only other comparable countries are China in 1970 and India in 1980. I'd say that except for oil, Iran had fewer human and material resources than those countries.