Scripted troops for player side?

Steve and co.

Have you ever thought of allowing scripting for player side units as well as Computer player? It would be interesting to be able to script a portion of your forces to deploy in a certain fashion on the map before you take control or simulate yourself as a lower level commander in a larger overall mission such that you only control a portion of the troops on the game map.

Also, the possibilities for AI vs. AI demos or for testing potential scenario designs would be useful as well.

Perhaps, I've yet to figure out exactly how baked scenarios work.

I followed the steps indicated in the manual....but then how exactly do you load the baked scenario? None of the menu load options connect to the baked scenario folder.

Putting it in your regular scenario folder once you are done editing?

I've played this game a LOT and even I have barely touched Baked scenarios. But when I did it was a hoot - Issue detailed orders to both sides and simply hit "Go". The AI popping smoke, area firing, all the stuff that AIs can't do. It was quite the action movie! Baked scenario's big limitation is when you run your units out of orders they have no place left to go. You can't do scenario-style AI scripting in Baked scenarios, just issue strings of orders.

You can't do scenario-style AI scripting in Baked scenarios, just issue strings of orders.

That does limit you somewhat. But I can also see how you could issue more detailed instructions than the regular script AI. Like a convoy for instance, you could tell it not only to move to a certain point on the map, but exactly what path to follow (like down a road). The other problems that will probably crop up is that once certain events happen, they will change the ordered behavior of the group. For instance, once that convoy receives fire, it may stop and never resume movement again. At least that appears to be the way it would work in the game.

That does limit you somewhat. But I can also see how you could issue more detailed instructions than the regular script AI. Like a convoy for instance, you could tell it not only to move to a certain point on the map, but exactly what path to follow (like down a road). The other problems that will probably crop up is that once certain events happen, they will change the ordered behavior of the group. For instance, once that convoy receives fire, it may stop and never resume movement again. At least that appears to be the way it would work in the game.

For me the lack of multiple plans in Baked make it a non-starter

Oh damn! I've understood that this baked scenario things totally wrong. I though it's idea was just to throw player into situation to which scenario desginer has already played that particular scenario but player gets control of all units.

Is there user made baked scenarios available? As far as i can understand CMSF doesn't deliver single one. Would be interesting to see how it works.

One of the problems that I have encountered with baked scenarios is that units on the map at the start of a scenario will not execute AI plans assigned to them. However, AI plans assigned to reinforcement units will be executed.

The scenario designer can issue commands during baking such as Aquire, Move, etc...which will be executed at the start of the scenario.

After baking a scenario, just move the scenario file from the baked folder to the scenario folder; both located in the Game Files folder.

One of the problems that I have encountered with baked scenarios is that units on the map at the start of a scenario will not execute AI plans assigned to them. However, AI plans assigned to reinforcement units will be executed.

The scenario designer can issue commands during baking such as Aquire, Move, etc...which will be executed at the start of the scenario.

After baking a scenario, just move the scenario file from the baked folder to the scenario folder; both located in the Game Files folder.

I can verify that in a very simple test that I did, a Marine Javelin unit executed a quick move command that I baked into an existing mission. I did not try anything more exotic.

That is odd that it only worked for reinforcement units for you.

"The scenario designer can save his scenario file in a special for-

mat (.btb) that enables units to have pre-assigned Commands,

which normally is not possible to do. This feature allows a

battle to start up right in middle of a firefight, for example, or

to have a column of vehicles begin the scenario already in

motion. Thus the commands are “baked” into the file itself.

It is very important to note that Baked scenarios use a special file

format that can not be edited again. Therefore, it is advisable

to bake a scenario only after all edits are complete and to

always keep an “un-baked” (normal) version so you can make

changes to it later if need be. It’s a good idea to give the un-

baked version a different filename to avoid possible confusion

since file extensions are not always shown in Windows."

This is about as descriptive as the manual is regarding the usefulness of "baked" scenarios. I guess it's up to the scenario designer to determine what usefulness this approach might have.

Keep in mind any scenario created this way is not editable in any way by the end-user (which might be useful in some instances in and of itself).

Thanks for your input, however, I was not referring to commands that were Baked into the Scenario, such as Move etc.. I am talking about AI plans assigned to other units present on the map at the start of a Scenario that are not given Baked commands. These units, will not execute their AI plans.

Chops: If I am understanding you right it's a problem of units not acting on pathing instructions at the start of the game. If that's it then:

Make certain that the units are in a setup zone (blue or red) and have been assigned a specific plan and group number for the AI pathing. If that's all done properly (per the manual) then be sure you don't have a long "exit before/after" times.

Thanks Mark, I apologize for not being more clear. I am talking about a Baked Scenario that I designed; which has a variety of units on the map at the start of the Scenario. Some units are assigned various commands during Baking and the other units have AI plans assigned to them with no Baked commands. When the Scenario starts, the units with the Baked commands will execute their orders, however, the on map units that were assigned AI plans (no Baked commands) will not move. Reinforcements that have been assigned AI plans will execute their orders when they arrive on map.

I have tried this on several other Scenario's that I designed, and the same result happens. I have designed a number of Scenario's and am very familiar with the editor, setup zones, AI plans, etc....