Reverse for infantry?

I often find it frustrating when peeking over ridges just to be suppressed without the ability to do anything. In real life you would probably back down again when you come under heavy fire to take cover. Therefore i think a reverse command for the infantry would be a nice feature where you could crawl backwards to take cover behind the ridge just like you do with vehicles.

An about turn for a rested man lying on ground takes two seconds at most, which isn't slow at all considering that he's got a gun and everything. How far are you going to crawl backwards in two seconds? One metre? I bet that the guy who turned around is going to catch you before you reach four metres from the start line.

Human physique is poorly suited for crawling, at least mine is, but due to our legs they are even more poorly suited to crawling backwards - you can't go there "full throttle" any more than you can run backwards. Not to mention that you'd be stumbling on every rock, tree branch and cactus (yes, there are no cacti in Syrian desert, but the ACME Laws of Probability destine there to be a cactus behind you when you crawl backwards :D ) on the way.

Crawling downhill would be a different matter, there I could imagine the pull of gravity help the reverser quite a bit. But on flat ground I'd rather turn, unless the cover was like two meters behind me.

I'm fairly certain that a physically fit infantryman can quickly crawl backwards just as fast as forwards.

Especially if he is getting shot at.

I can and I'm an old tanker.

The question was about a Soldier in the prone peeking over a ridgeline and being able to back away instead of turning 180.

Sounds like a good idea to me but BFC probably won't bother.

Human physique is poorly suited for crawling, at least mine is, but due to our legs they are even more poorly suited to crawling backwards - you can't go there "full throttle" any more than you can run backwards.

The world record for the 100m backwards is only 13.6 seconds. That's faster than most people can run 100m forwards.

No. This is a simulation of a real war. And in a real war you can take cover behind a ridge fast if you become under heavy fire.

No, that's pretty far from reality. You have a fixation in your mind on a situation where your suggestion would make a difference, but forget that 99% of time it wouldn't or it would be worse than what happens at present.