Multiplayer. Any plans for expanding in the future?

Game is shaping really nicely patch after patch and I have started to wonder if there is a ceiling really, apart that defined from the limited resources. I know that statistically those who play on the internet are no more than a small % of the customer base but it would be nice to see the multiplayer aspect of the game taking a step forward beyond the basic H2H IP hook up function that it was introduced ten years ago with CMBO. Some new multiplayer modes might attract more players and create more buzz on the net. CMSF has already attracted some players from the COD4/Arma FPS genre, games that their popularity is largely based on the net interaction.

I'm thinking that a 2v2 mode for a start will skyrocket the interest in online games and make them more manageable as well. CMSF cries for injection of a teamwork aspect that is now possible with the realtime engine. How cool would it be with the new QB system that team mates who communicate will pick their own forces and coordinate them in battle, using a team chat or a voice software or basic teamcomms signaling provided by the UI? Like signaling attack/defend or passing intel about enemy units? A dedicated lobby would probably be necessary for that kind of thing but I'm hoping the community with the quite possibly more popular and critical acclaimed WW2 release would be able to make a "Hyberlobby" equivalent for CM.

That is one feature that stood out for Harpoon 3. If I recall correctly, it started with no multiplayer capability and through the dedication of the current license holder and the Harpoon community, multiplayer 1v1 was added and now it supports multiple players per side.

TacOps also has a good multiplayer system, allowing for 1v1 play all the way to multiple player 'CPX' style of mutiplayer which is a favorite of quite a number in the TacOps community.

TacOps looks very dated graphically but the multiplayer keeps the game being played despite this shortcoming.

Ali-Baba

Great post. I wonder if 2vs2 mode would appear in WW2 release. It was promised in CMSF manual, but there is zero probability we'll see it in Shock Force. Teamplay greatly improves MP aspect of the game. World in Conflict is a good example. Of course, CM is not that case (I mean 8 vs 8 battles :D), but 4-players games would be a great addiction, especially when additional modules would be introduced. Just image US+UK troops versus SS and Wehrmacht. While this is hard to introduce in WeGo, it should present no problem to be featured in RT mode. I think 2vs2 will even popularize Real-Time, because players will be able to play larger battles by distrubing forces between both of them.

The need to cooperate with others in RTS' is fun. You need to communicate with team mate(s), sometimes resulting in re-enactments of the Charge of the Light Brigade. And with a good FOW you are left out there hanging, not sure if they've let a Tiger platoon slip to your rear! Steve's hot for multi-multi, but it's not a simple thing to implement. We'll just have to wait and pray...

Heh and I was questioning your idea due to the horrible lag in pre 1.10 online. Multi is mostly smooth now, even in large armor clashes and I'm getting optimistic that at least 4 players are possible to handle. HistWar system sounds brilliant, I would love to see something like that. My ideal CMx2 multi would have a pausable RT, a dedicated lobby/server with a sort of ranked system, and a possibility to link the results with a sort of meta-campaign ala Il-2.

Maybe just like CMC, BFC could let a 3d party make an "online module" that will have these goodies. I would gladly pay for that, even more than a NATO or British forces add on. I just hope the game will grow big enough that BFC will be able to implement some of the above someday.

I totaly agree. I was part of a Sudden Strike clan for years and it was so much fun. It gave the game longevity where it wouldn't have had it otherwise. Like battlefron stated they would lke it too, but there are other things with priority.

I just got the game. How do people hook up for RT games? Is there a chat lobby? if not, that should be easy enough to add to the BF website, and would be a an easier start to get more interest in RT multiplayer 1v1. It would make it easy to advertise and join games.