Equipment in team info panel not shown correctly

stoex

Hi folks, I noticed a minor glitch in the GUI today. Did a quick search and couldn't find anything related, sorry if it's already been discussed...

I started Mission 6, Marines Campaign, after having taken route TIGER (shying away from objective Pooh...). Mission title is 'Village Recon' (Light Armoured Recon of a farm and a village separated nicely by two wooded berms).

In the setup phase, I wanted to acquire ammo and stuff with my few available men, when I noticed that the team info panel showed no M203s for any soldier in any team. All the teams had 40mm grenades in their ammo loadout, according to their unit info, but the team info showed only regular M16A4s for the soldiers who would usually have the 'nade tossers (fourth man in the scout HQ and scout team, third man in the sniper teams). The tooltip also said 'M16A4'.

So I thought, 'bugger that, I'll have 'em grab 5.56 and LAWs anyway', and started bringing the teams into my LAVs one by one. And lo and behold, every time I disembarked a team from one of the vehicles and it came to a rest on the ground nearby, the team info panel switched to display the M203s in the right place, with the correct tooltip!

This happened also after the setup phase if I left teams in the LAVs until after the setup (went back later for some tests). The interesting part here is when I watch them exiting during the mission, the soldier(s) in question really are equipped with a regular M16A4, UNTIL they reach their final position at the end of the exit command, at which point the M203 'appears' underneath the rifle (or rather the whole weapon gets exchanged for the right one, can't really tell). Meaning if I have them run across the battlefield directly from the LAV, it's an M16A4 all the way until the soldier stops. Then -magic- he has a grenade launcher beamed to him.

It was also repeatable from the savegame and has repeated in the next battle, albeit only for the units that had not been in the previous battle. All the vets knew they would need those launchers :D. Also only for the M203, all other special weapons were OK always.

Now mind you this is not a great bug and if it remains I won't mind. Just putting it out there to see whether anyone else has had this happen to them, and maybe to get it addressed by BFC. Sounds like something relatively easily fixable to me, but then what do I know...

Savegame available via email if required.

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I get how no one cares about this :). Still, I will beef up my case with some snazzy visuals and add another similar issue just to occupy space on the first forum page once more. Yeah, I love reading my name as thread starter :D. Maybe I'll even turn this into some kind of one-man Peng show eventually....

First, two screens illustrating my original reason for posting:

CMShockForce2009-02-1109-24-25-62.jpg

Here is the scout HQ team exiting the LAV, running towards its waypoint. Note the info in the GUI (rifle grenades in inventory, regular rifle w/o launcher shown), and note that all four men are carrying regular rifles as well.

CMShockForce2009-02-1109-24-40-42.jpg

Here they have reached their waypoint and the launcher has now visibly appeared underneath the barrel. Also now shown in the team info panel. Ta-Daaaaa :)

And for my second trick today, I would like you all to witness the amazing long-barreled pistol in use with the Syrian army. This shot is from Hasrabit Campaign, Battle 4:

CMShockForce2009-02-1109-32-57-53.jpg

This RPG team firing at nearby infantry is NOT actually equipped with two AK-74s. The team info panel is correct in showing the pistol, but the engine has loaded the AK-74 model and soldier animation for the AT soldier. He produces no muzzle flash, fires single rounds (as opposed to his buddy who is using three round bursts), and the sound he makes is that of a pistol firing. All three of these facts are unfortunately hard to prove with screenshots, but suspension of disbelief is what magic is all about, isn't it?

Reminds me a bit of something missinginreality posted in the 'Favourite screenshots' thread recently, see here: http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1121687&postcount=368

Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, thank you....tomorrow the great stoexini will be sawing a T-72 in half right before your very eyes!!!

Regards

Hi Stoex!

Nice documentation there! I am sure somebody will take notice!

As for the pistol: this not exactly a bug, but a deliberate decision to save animation/3D resources. As far as I know, there are simply no 3D models nor animations for pistols in the game yet.

Best regards,

Thomm

Hey Thomm, my first response in this one. Thanks :).

Also thanks for the clearup on the pistol thing...I hadn't realized that there isn't actually any pistol model. I guess I hadn't really watched soldiers armed with pistols up close before. Makes sense to leave out in favor of other more important things for sure.

Man lernt halt nie aus und bemerkt immer wieder neues in CMSF ;).

Well then it's one down, one to go :).

Man lernt halt nie aus und bemerkt immer wieder neues in CMSF ;)

Stoex, mach Dir mal keine Sorgen, normalerweise werden solche Berichte vom Beta-Team jedenfalls verarbeitet. Ich habe leider keinen Zugriff mehr (bekam als Beta-Tester echte Suchterscheinungen und musste den Stecker ziehen!) aber ich weiss, dass solche Postings ueblicherweise verfolgt werden. Ich habe allerdings keine Ahnung, was die Jungs gerade sonst so treiben; wer weiss, wass es gerade fuer neue Features zu testen gilt.

Hey, wir sollten mal ein Intra-Wiener CM:SF-Spielchen machen! Mit der Zeitzone sollte es ja kein Problem geben ...

Schoenen Gruss,

Thomm

stoex,

In a previous thread I wrote about an M249 which had disappeared. Instead, my SAW gunner was using an M4. "WTF?", I wondered. I posted about it and found out what happened. Earlier, my SAW gunner had performed medic duty on some poor sod. At that point, the squad the SAW gunner belonged to gained the injured guy's weapon; the M4.

The CMSF AI therefore kicked in. It recognized that in some cases the M4 was the preferred weapon over the M249. (Now, there were issues with THAT! BF.C looked at the TacAI and tweaked it. The TacAI now makes very good decisions regarding which weapon to use if an individual has more than one. These TacAI results are determined on a case by case basis with the individual capable of changing weapon during the turn. Thanks BF.C!!)

Why the long post? Simple: did your HQ team at any point prior to this screenshot perform medic duties on another soldier? If this is part of a compaign, it may even be a carryover from a previous battle.

If they did perform medic duty, I would posit that the soldier who is swapping back and forth from the M4 to the M203 is actually carrying BOTH weapons. The TacAI will allow him to swap. It will control which weapon he uses.

So, did they do their medic duty?

Regards,

Ken

c3k,

Thanks for the reply...unfortunately that's not it at all in this case. Check out my original post in this thread closely and you will find:

This effect happened with all my teams in this battle: 1 HQ, 1 Scout team and a sniper squad. The screens are only of the HQ but it was the same for all of them. Four M203s in all. Frankly I'm not 100% sure but I am very confident that not all of these units had performed buddy aid before the incident.

I will also add that they never switch the weapons again after the initial stop at their first waypoint. Not in this battle, not in the next, as far as I can tell.

Also, I don't quite understand why the AI would grab a regular M4 during buddy aid with a soldier who already has an M4/M203...under what circumstances would the AI possibly consider the launcherless M4 better? I have only ever seen soldiers 'upgrade' to more firepower with buddy aid, not downgrade.

The SAW gunner with the M4 I have also seen frequently...I even originally thought they carried an M4 as a backup :). EDIT: Well I agree that that would qualify as a downgrade in terms of firepower, but an upgrade in accuracy and ammo amount. A very different weapon altogether with different uses. But an M4 vs an M4/M203? What's the point?

Sorry, but I am extremely convinced that this is in fact some sort of bug and not intended behaviour. I repeat that it's not a gamechanging bug, but nonetheless.

Sorry, I'd missed the initial conditions you posted.

The AI may consider the launcherless M4 better if it induces a lighter load for movement. (I don't know how the AI determines weight carried penalties, but that's the only fig-leaf I could come up with!)

It seems like you've found something here.

Good luck!

Ken

Sorry I missed this one until now!

Yup, that looks like a bug. From what I'm seeing it appears that it's only a graphical bug which is apparently only present until the unit moves (or presumably fires?). Odd. I'll make a bug report on this one.

Steve

No worries, Steve! I hang in there :). I understand you can't see everything...and in my experience the forum logs me out while I write long posts - and you've been known to write long posts occasionally ;). But maybe as admin your timeout is longer. Whatever. A beta tester taking note of this would have been fine for me, but getting one of the big guns warms my heart especially...

I've narrowed this down further and will send my savegame to a tester with info. Just wanted to get basic approval (or a correction of my opinion that its a bug) first. There seem to be no detrimental effects to this glitch, I'm thinking the launcher is always there internally. Maybe just an indexing error in the data structure for the graphics that only shows up under certain circumstances?...well that's a long shot but my programming $0.02 for good measure :).

Sorry, I'd missed the initial conditions you posted.

The AI may consider the launcherless M4 better if it induces a lighter load for movement. (I don't know how the AI determines weight carried penalties, but that's the only fig-leaf I could come up with!)

It seems like you've found something here.

Good luck!

Ken

Ken, also no worries! :)

The AI thinking about the weight would only make sense if it replaced the launcher-rifle with the regular M4. In my case the soldier seems to be carrying both, however, which is why I think that's not really the case. I'm pretty sure that it's actually a graphical misrepresentation.

Anyway, perseverance got me noticed in the end, so I'm happy. And this thread can finally fall into the depths of forum history. :D

With pleasure, JohnO....

uhm, never thought I'd be asking cause I never anticipated having a problem with this, but....how DO I send you an email with an attachment? I can't attach anything in the forum email window, and I don't see an address in your profile. :confused:

Help!

The sort of weapon swapping Ken was talking about would only make sense if the guy was carrying both a regular M16A4 and a M16A4 with M203. But that's not supposed to be possible since a Grenadier shouldn't be interested in picking up a M16 since he already has one. And a better one at that. Plus, the weapon graphics should only switch when the weapon is used, not when the guy simply arrives at his end waypoint. So I'm thinking this is just a straight forward graphics bug having something to do campaigns.

Steve

Duh. Just noticed I've been calling the M16A4 an 'M4' all this time. Goes to show ya....I'm a details and logic grog, not a weapons man...in RL, I'd have trouble telling a rifle from a shotgun .

Remind me to never shoot trap with you :D If you don't know what "shooting trap" is, it's a shooting sport where you don't use a rifle :)

Steve

Lol...If I were you, Steve, I'd never go shooting anything with me! (Except pool that is, or Snooker if you want a real challenge...)

Not that I'd pull a Cheney on ya or anything, I'm just not real comfortable around loaded handguns :). But that's a different story. I'd take you up for a game of CMSF any day, though! Not that I'd win... :P