Russian air force

Sergei

How about Finnish bombing policy? Was it politically possible in Helsinki to bomb a factory in the Leningrad region?

It would only have caused more trouble with western countries. Finnish diplomats weren't very successful at making British and US leaders believe that Finland was just defending herself instead of being a Nazi ally; after Finnish troops crossed the Murmansk railway, the Commonwealth declared war December 6th 1941, and later on USA wasn't very far from doing the same. Attacking Leningrad would have jeopardized any good will that there was left between Finland and the western powers.

The Tu-22 that was shot down was on a recon flight' date=' and was (apparently) crewed by instruction staff from a flight school somewhere.....which imnplies that the Russians don't consider their line pilots all that flash.[/quote']

Test pilots actually i believe, which would imply an even higher degree of expertise.

I'm not sure where to start.... how bout no, just no. The SU-27 is great, but it can be out turned and outrun by an F-15. It can also be spotted and killed by and F-15 before it knows it. It cannot shoot BVR without radar, the AA-12 isn't designed for it. It can detect, and maybe shoot, with IR stuff but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Its a great airshow plane, but I don't think the cobra move will win you a dog fight. The AMRAAM is the best long range missile in the world and can do most of the things you thought the Russian missles could do.

Flanker15 is right--to a point. The AA-11 ARCHER & HMS combo would've been the terror of the skies had war broken out in Europe during the Cold War and dogfights resulted. As it was, it took NATO many years to develop an equivalent high off-boresight capability, a situation compounded by the "Cobra" maneuver and supercritical flight fielded on the MiG-29 FULCRUM and Su-27 FLANKER let alone with the murderous IRST/LRF integrated 30mm cannon system on both, allowing for radar silent attacks with unprecedentedly small ammo expenditure to get a kill. Of course, barring certain Sniper pilots, as a general rule the Russian pilots were not even in the same league as ours, a direct function of severe lack of flying time, restrictive tactics and very real ergonomics issues affecting G tolerance, pilot/instrument interface and switchology.

Regards,

John Kettler