AKDSM v1.0 - A new sound mod released.

akd

This sound mod replaces most of the battle sound effects in the game and adds additional variations to a number of these. The base mod provides a "first person" feel for nose to the ground play. Replacements and additions include:

-All explosions

-All small arms and vehicle armament firing sounds

-Fixed wing cannon firing sounds (with delay added) and missile and rocket firing sounds

-All bullet impact sounds

-All penetrations except larger caliber metal penetrations

-Bullet "zips" are now "snaps"

-And several other additions, replacements and improvements.

The three optional add-ons are intended to add a more "third person," high-in-the-sky feel to the action. Add them all, or pick and choose to suit your tastes.

AKDSM was created for CMSF: Marines, but can used with the base game as well (you will have some unused files in your "Z" folder). Install the mod by extracting the archive "AKDSM Base Sound Mod v1.0.rar" to your root CMSF directory. No need to do anything further unless you would like to try some of the alternate sounds contained in the optional add-ons. Extract the other archives in the download ("Distant Cannon," "Distant Explosions" and "Distant Guns") to your root CMSF directory to try these options out. If you don't like them, extract the base mod files again and the alternates will be overwritten.

Special thanks to CM community members Oddball and Nemboo for several of the sounds used here.

Let me know if there are any problems and please provide feedback to improve the mod. My e-mail is in the included readme file.

Currently available on Filefront, submitted to Battlefront Repository, will submit to CMMODS tomorrow.

Filefront downloads:

AKD Sound Mod Base v1.0

Option 1:

AKDSM Distant Cannons

Option 2:

AKDSM Distant Explosions

Option 3:

'>AKDSM Distant Guns

Now THIS level of player-specified mod options is quite a boon to the community. It's generous enough to have someone pour hours of labor freely into a release, but to then go the extra mile to allow such a level of easy-to-do customization is a REAL treat.

It's going to be a while till I have the opportunity to give it a go, but you can bet your last penny that it's been downloaded to my system.

And supplying THREE means of downloading: wow!

Thank you!

Well, it's tough to sum it up any better than 19Kyle72 just did.

There are a lot of seriously great files wrapped up in this one! I particularly like the manner in which several of the detonation effects are initially sharp and then slowly rumble as they fade - quite effective. What's more, the M110 now actually sounds like a suppressed rifle.

Well worth the download - thank you very much!

Also a quick question. Does anyone know the name of the "reinforcements have arrived" .wav?

There are a lot of seriously great files wrapped up in this one! I particularly like the manner in which several of the detonation effects are initially sharp and then slowly rumble as they fade - quite effective. What's more, the M110 now actually sounds like a suppressed rifle.

Also a quick question. Does anyone know the name of the "reinforcements have arrived" .wav?

It's the radio squawk, the lone .wav file. Nice mod btw.

One small question (and note I didn't download it yet, so if its in the readme, please forgive me):

Do the option files replace files in the base set?

In other words: does the base set provide a full sound overhaul tailored for ground camera use and the option packs give you the option to shift the focus of the sounds to a more 3rd person perspective, replacing files in the base pack?

I ask, because I often use a mix between over-the-shoulder camera FOV and eye-in-the-sky FOV. Don't you get weird sound sensations if you mix and match the sounds or are the effects quite subtle?

"chat squawk.wav", the lone sound file outside the "sound" folder. A slightly different version is included here.

One small question (and note I didn't download it yet, so if its in the readme, please forgive me):

Do the option files replace files in the base set?

In other words: does the base set provide a full sound overhaul tailored for ground camera use and the option packs give you the option to shift the focus of the sounds to a more 3rd person perspective, replacing files in the base pack?

I ask, because I often use a mix between over-the-shoulder camera FOV and eye-in-the-sky FOV. Don't you get weird sound sensations if you mix and match the sounds or are the effects quite subtle?

Yes, each of the options overwrites corresponding files in the base mod, and the differences are fairly subtle. Even with the base mod I have tried to balance the sounds so they are still realistic at various distances, as I play as you do with a mix of perspectives. That means generally no plinking of ejected shell cases at your feet or showers of dirt and rocks on your head following explosions.

awesome, even just for the bullet "snap" than zing, its a common mistake made...but a annoying one from anyone who has been in the military and experienced rounds overhead

for me....i was lucky enough not to have people shooting AT me, rather ABOVE me to demonstate the "crack & thump" of incoming rounds

im surprised so many get it wrong

Hmm, while I like the sound of this mod (no pun intended), I'm slightly wary of overwriting base game files as opposed to adding alternatives in my Z folder. Could you clarify, please: if I install this/these mods, am I overwriting the base game files in a way that, should I for any reason want to uninstall, will make if impossible (or at least problematic) to return to the originals?

It's my understanding that these are supposed to be put into your "Z" directory for them to work. Since files in the "Z" directory are loaded last, they'll temporarily "overwrite" your base files without actually permanently replacing them.

If, in the end, you don't like the sounds, just delete the sound mod from your "Z" directory.

Hmm, while I like the sound of this mod (no pun intended), I'm slightly wary of overwriting base game files as opposed to adding alternatives in my Z folder. Could you clarify, please: if I install this/these mods, am I overwriting the base game files in a way that, should I for any reason want to uninstall, will make if impossible (or at least problematic) to return to the originals?

Extract each archive to your root CMSF directory and files will be placed into a "sound" folder in your "Z" folder, except chat squawk.wav (which just goes in "Z"). Base game files are locked up in the .brz files, so no worries there. Sorry for any confusion.

Please note that for the CMMODS and Battlefront downloads, there are multiple archives containing the base mod and options in the download file.