PBEM helper for CMSF!?

ok i have to try out PBEM since thats the only way to "recreate" TCPip wego right now...

i found a PBEM helper here ( http://www.nic.fi/~fuerte/pbem.htm ) but it doesnt say if it works with CMx2 games and i got noone to try it out right now.

also does this work with mail services like GMX, hotmail and that stuff!?

here are many people playing PBEM, do you guys use a helper or do you send turns manualy? please i need some hints here.

I play PBEM and use "SendThisFile" to pass the turns. It's Free, and unlike my gmail and other email accounts, it works 100% of the time.

I linked the incoming and outgoing CMSF email files to my desk top. Takes the effort out of finding and sending the turns. I do not know of a PBEM helper that works with CMSF. If you find one be sure to tell us!

I also asked for help on the pbem helper program recently and I am sure that you could probably place the program CMSF into the program through the manual situation. I use Thunderbird from the Firefox program and it was easy to set up. I also received a great manual for PBEM through the email and if anyone wants a copy, let me know and I could send you it. Has good screens, the pbem helper program is great but its 3 yrs old or something like that, like Moon said they are updating it, i'll pm and we can try a game with the program?

@huhr

i figured the easiest way is to send the files is with skype or icq(hamachi can possibly do it to, but dont have it installed right now), i dont need to open a browser, dont need to fidle with the mail account, just multitask and send the file over directly.

about the game, well it would be my first CMx2 multiplayer game. i refuse realtime and i refused PBEM till now :D

i guess i have a test game with a friend of mine today or tomorrow, we gona try to send the stuff per skype.

the thing is, me and my friend really miss TCPip wego with replay becouse we where playing battles in single 3-8 houers sessions(CMBB that was). that was awsome fun, after 5 houers of planing and stuff you where really worn out, but so was the enemy commander. this had a fun effect on the resulting gameplay.

however i cannot see the point behind playing a single battle over more days or even weeks. thats why i said "the only way to recreate TCPip wego", wo gona try to have smal to medium fights and play them in one go in PBEM as there is no other way to do that right now.

now i gona look up your PM, maybe PBEM helper can be used as you say, but if the skype thingy works out well i think me and my friend stick to skype.

thanks for the help anyways!

I have tried getting PBEM Helper to work with CMSF, but I did not succeed.

The helper is reliant on some sort of script which will be triggered by the game and I haven't been able to find out how to make it work for CMSF.

Also contacting the author of PBEM Helper has resulted is 0 replies unfortunately.

I guess we will have to wait for BFC to complete the work. ;)

@huhr

about the game, well it would be my first CMx2 multiplayer game. i refuse realtime and i refused PBEM till now :D

i guess i have a test game with a friend of mine today or tomorrow, we gona try to send the stuff per skype.

the thing is, me and my friend really miss TCPip wego with replay becouse we where playing battles in single 3-8 houers sessions(CMBB that was). that was awsome fun, after 5 houers of planing and stuff you where really worn out, but so was the enemy commander. this had a fun effect on the resulting gameplay.

however i cannot see the point behind playing a single battle over more days or even weeks. thats why i said "the only way to recreate TCPip wego", wo gona try to have smal to medium fights and play them in one go in PBEM as there is no other way to do that right now.

I agree 100%!

Refresh my memeory has MOON ruled out WeGo TCP/IP until the WWII release. I did a search but I thought Steve said (months ago) maybe a TCP/IP WEGO but with no replay was possible. Has there been anything on the forum's lately about this?

Thanks Guys

Hope you all had a great New Years!!

• 8 months later...

I've thought about a way to rig PBEM Helper to work with CMSF. It's a very crude way, but it might work. The way that the Helper works for CMx1 games so nicely is because when you press the Join Online Game button and then Load PBEM Game, it opens a standard Windows file dialogue. That enables Helper to fill in the correct file name. But in CMSF the PBEM files are shown at the bottom of the save game screen, and it is out of the question to script Helper to find the right file from there.

But it is possible to make a copy of the whole game directory and use that solely for PBEM gaming. In that case, by removing all unnecessary save files from consideration, the correct file would be automatically selected. So I think this is doable.