Retrofitting Marines into Existing Scenarios

Hey guys,

I've modified several of my favorite scenarios by swapping US Army units for equivalent USMC units. So far I've played through as Blue: Hammertime, Rock Around the Block, Al Huqf, Housecleaning, Ambush Tutorial, Al Uhbula, and Al Amarah . I've noticed that in at leat two scenarios: Hammertime and Al Huqf, Red seems to have become utterly incompetent. I'm just starting to play through with v1.11, though...

These are my first tinkerings with the scenario editor and in order to preserve a modicum of fog of war I have not even peeked at Red deployments or plans. Would swapping units alter Red behavior? If they had unit specific victory conditions would removal of the specified units cause them to just sit around while I pound them into oblivion?

Thanks for any input!

Umm, by "swapping US Army units for equivalent USMC units" do you mean swapping a platoon for a platoon, company for company, etc? Because that's not equivalent; USMC platoons are larger than US Army platoons by about 15 guys or something. That could be what's causing the ineptitude; I would not be surprised if Al Huqf became extremely easy with a whole platoon of Marines!

Sorry I didn't get into detail...

I always 'whittle down' the Marine units to give Red a sporting chance. In my USMC Al Huqf for example, I took two rifle squads away from the platoon but allowed them to keep the MG's and the assault squad and gave them a Hummer with a 50cal and one with a grenade launcher. However, I do admit to running Al Huqf with a full platoon of DevilDogs once.

Hi

Can I ask, as the author of Hammertime and Al Amarah if you are planning to re-release either or both of them that the names are changed and the accompnaying briefings etc removed. These scenarios take a long time to put together so you'll excuse me if I apper to be a bit precious over them.

I appreciate that once these scenarios go public we authors don't have a lot of say in what happens with them but to swap units out then re-release it with no other change to briefings etc, effectively the same scenario slightly rehashed is going to cause confusion amongst players I think.

I put my contact details etc in the secnarios so I'm not that keen on a re-hashed version which may or may not work as I originally designed it for to go out with my name still atttached, and then have to deal with any feedback that might ensue.

So if you are going to release them I would appreciate if you remove the briefings, and chnage the name to avoid confusion amongst players please?

I can't speak for the other authors of these scenarios but that's my view on my own stuff.

Cheers fur noo

George

Hey guys,

I've modified several of my favorite scenarios by swapping US Army units for equivalent USMC units. So far I've played through as Blue: Hammertime, Rock Around the Block, Al Huqf, Housecleaning, Ambush Tutorial, Al Uhbula, and Al Amarah . I've noticed that in at leat two scenarios: Hammertime and Al Huqf, Red seems to have become utterly incompetent. I'm just starting to play through with v1.11, though...

These are my first tinkerings with the scenario editor and in order to preserve a modicum of fog of war I have not even peeked at Red deployments or plans. Would swapping units alter Red behavior? If they had unit specific victory conditions would removal of the specified units cause them to just sit around while I pound them into oblivion?

Thanks for any input!

Unless I completely misunderstand what you are trying to say, I think the reason why RED seems even less formidable in 1.11 is because of the recent changes TAC-AI behavior especially regarding units routing more often.

I also have a modified Al Huqf that I primarily use for testing AI behavior. I have used Marines in place of US Army units and assigned AI behavior so I can defend with RED forces from building locations. After 1.11 the lesser troop quality in RED shows up and Marine AI has an easier time forcing their will upon the Syrians.

On a House Cleaning replay I also noticed that RED AI surrendered at 50% casualties and sometimes less as opposed to previously. The only thing I can suggest is increasing RED troop quality via leadership, morale, etc.

travcrouse,

It´s great to be able to use the editor and tweak scenarios to your liking. There is no harm in that. Converting missions with the US to Marines is a great idea to refresh older scenarios actually. I was thinking of doing this to my own few scenarios.

But I agree with George in that you shouldn´t "release" them without the permission of the original designers. Even if you are using "only" the map and putting your own mission on top.

George Mc´s maps for instance are among the most detailed maps there are. Every elevation has a purpose, every house is there for a reason. These all take time to make.

So please ask all the authors for permission to use their work.

I hope by tweaking existing scenarios you will be bitten by the bug and start to design your own from scratch. Once you do that you will probably understand better what I´m saying.

-

George,

As long as I have you here... Remembering that I haven't looked at Red deployments or plans as I've modified the scenario, take a look at my Blue OoB for 'Hammertime v5 (USMC)':

Initial - (original set up zone):

>3 x LAV25

>2 x Scout Team

>1 x Scout HQ

>1 x FO Team + Hummer

>1 x 40mm MGL Hummer

>1 x .50 MG Hummer

>1 x 60mm Mortar Section

>1 x 155mm Howitzer Battery

>1 x Cobra Flight

>1 x Harrier Flight

R1 @ 10min:

>4 x AAV

>1 x Rifle Platoon (all squads)

>1 x FO Team

>1 x Javelin Team

R2 @ 15min:

>4 x AAV

>1 x Rifle Platoon (all squads)

>1 x Abrams MBT

>1 x Company HQ

Does it look like I've given the Blue too much firepower/manpower?

travcrouse,

Apparently George is gone for a while! ;)

George´s Hummertime is a classic and has had a record of downloads at CMMODS.

However it was designed a long time back. Later it was updated to rebalance it for one of the patches, I can´t remember which now.

The latest patches have changed the game in many crucial ways though. Just to mention one - spotting - the 1.11 patch has changed this dramatically.

In Hummertime spotting as a vital part of the mission, as in any mission I guess. George has placed the enemy forces in hull down positions which at the time were already hard to spot. If you don´t spot and kill them in time, as you advance, you don´t stand a chance.

I haven´t played it in a long time but I know all this from memory since I studied this scenario as I was learning how to use the editor myself.

Bottom line is Hummertime is probably very un-balanced to be played with patch 1.11. And so are all missions designed before the latest patches, specially 1.10 and 1.11.

-