Could not initiate OpenGl Graphics

I haven't played CM:SF since 1.02. Downloaded and installed 1.10 and 1.11 today and tried to run CM:SF and got an error box with the message:

Could not initiate OpenGl graphics. Please update your OpenGL drivers.

Closing the error box is my only option, CM:SF will not run.

I have an Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT graphics card with 512 MB of video ram with the latest Nvidia drivers 180.48 dated 11/19/08, version 6.14.11.8048 running on Windows XP service pack 3. I have no other programs running except McAfee virus scanner.

Rocket-Man, I have heard reverting the previous Nvidia fixes it. I haven't had the problem myself but others have (I am pretty sure there is a thread floating around here about it) and going to the earlier driver seems to do the job.

Thanks for the reply Elvis. Any idea what driver version I would need to back up to?

We're looking into it, but unfortunately there's not a whole lot of information to go on. Well, other than drivers have a history of being a pain in a developer's arse!

If anybody else has ideas, pipe up!

Steve

If I can provide you with any more information that could help you resolve the issue, please let me know.

Both ATI and nVidia provide control panels where you can fiddle with various settings which aren't controlled by CM. People have had widely different results when turning things on and off, even when they supposedly have similar hardware. Especially with nVidia since they have dozens of non-obvious hardware variations out in the marketplace.

The problem reported by Rocket-Man is due to something extremely low level. The error is telling us that when CM goes to launch it's being told that the OpenGL services are either unavailable or are in some way unusable. In theory this has nothing to do with Combat Mission because it's a state that exists before CM launches. And since CM doesn't have a problem launching on any but, apparently, one system in this way I think we should rule out (for now, anyway) that there's some code problem with CM.

Therefore, Rocket-Man, the likely conclusion is that something on your system is fudged up. This puts us in a bad spot in terms of helping you because we haven't a clue what the problem could be. One thing you can try is running an OpenGL program (make sure it is not DirectX!!!) and see if it works. Download a Quake demo or something if you don't have an OpenGL program already. See if the problem happens with that one too. If it does, then it is confirmation that the problem is OpenGL is, for whatever reason, non-functional on your system.

Steve

As Steve states something seems "fudged up" about your driver install, especially regarding OpenGL.

One thing to test your OpenGL functionality is to download and run the realtechvr OpenGL Extension Viewer. This program is somewhat like the 'Dxdiag' program that diagnoses your DirectX setup. The graphic tests are very basic, but if you're not seeing more than OpenGL 1.3 compatibility with your GeForce 9800 series videocard, then something is definitely wrong with your OpenGL libraries, etc.

Fixing such an issue would require you to uninstall your video drivers, with a possible reboot before reinstalling them. It's annoying, but installing a newer driver over an older one can cause some strange issues and often it is best (though bothersome) to uninstall the previous set of drivers before installing the newer ones.

The next step, assuming that the OpenGL Viewer passes, is to download and run the Quake 3 Arena Demo. See if this works for you or not. If it does and you're still having problems with CMSF, then you may need some more detailed changes to your 3D Settings in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Thanks for all the help guys, especially Schrullenhaft. His suggestions lead me to the solution to the problem. The problem was on my end and I solved it by uninstalling the Asus "enhanced display driver helper service."

Note to anybody else who has this problem. To uninstall the Asus "enhanced display driver helper service" you have to download and run the "enhanced display driver helper service file" (I got it from http://www.downloadpipe.com/free-trial/Enhanced-Display-Driver-Helper-Service-download1091651.html) and select "Yes" when asked if you want to remove the service. If you just uninstall it from device manager you will get the blue screen of death.

Gotta love Windows compatibility :D Too often customers claim that we try to duck responsibility for a problem when we say "it's probably a driver issue", yet 99 out of 100 times when there's an oddball thing going on that's exactly what it turns out to be. Which is why we love drivers soooooooo very much!

Thanks for sticking with it RocketMan.

Steve

I have been using PCs since DOS 1.0 so I know all about hardware and software compatibility issues. And when I am the only person experiencing a problem, the odds are that the problem is somewhere on my computer, not in the code that runs properly on everybody else's hardware. But until I posted the issue I had no idea if it was just me experiencing the problem or if it was a common enough problem that a fix had already been found.

So thanks again to Battlefront and to the CM community for spending the time to help me solve the problem.