Sneaking

Is sneaking (i.e., using the Sneak command) valid on the battlefield in CM? German infantry tactical doctrine, for example, called for a squad to go prone upon coming under fire. CM models this appropriately -- infantry units 'go to ground' when the lead starts flying round their ears, especially if they're in the open. German troops, however, were known (according to some sources I've read) for literally sneaking up to enemy positions even in broad daylight by crawling and using all available terrain cover. (Of course, if you asked German infantrymen on the Eastern Front, they would say that it was the Russians who were really good at this.)

However, is their much (or any) advantage to be gained by having your infantry Sneak toward the enemy, in particular if there is minimal terrain cover available?

The über-knowledgeable JasonC (http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=38765) stresses using the Advance command, in conjunction with proper spacing between units to minimize effects of incoming fire and to ensure that units remain 'in command', in advancing infantry across open ground under fire. I downloaded JasonC's Russian Training Scenarios (http://www.blowtorchscenarios.com/Jason%20Soviet%20Training%20Scenarios/Jason%20C%20Russian%20Training%20Exercises%20Details.html) and played numerous times the basic "green infantry platoon advance in the open under fire" scenario, but I could never achieve the result (getting close enough to take out the lone MG-42) which he himself claims is perfectly possible if one sticks to the tactical principles he outlines. I would try the just-sneak-up-on-'em tactic, except that the HQ unit in this scenario is Green and has no bonuses.*

Thus I wonder: What is the viability of the Sneak command in getting one's infantry to within, say, hand-grenade range of the enemy? Has anyone tried this in particular? If so, has anyone had any success with this?

The optimal situation -- in an attack on known enemy positions -- would be for your infantry to sneak to within grenade range of the enemy positions while mortars and heavy MGs to lay down suppressing fire, so as to make the enemies keep their heads down, thus minimizing their ability to spot your approaching infantry.

* I'm in the process of finishing a fictional-but-realistic scenario in which a July 1941-era German infantry company, while advancing along a road through wheatfields as the Spitze of its regiment, comes under fire from a manor house (which has been turned into a strongpoint manned by a reinforced Soviet platoon) at the edge of a forest. Without the firepower to destroy the building itself, the German infantry must cross 400 meters or so of more or less open ground to either get within Assault-ing range of the manor house or reach the concealment of the woods behind and on both sides of the building. In playtesting this scenario, I've had my (the German) infantry sneak across the open ground to the forest (with a view to encircling the manor house and assaulting it from two or three sides simultaneously), and they go pretty much unspotted by the Soviets in the house at least until they're a sprint or so away from the woods. Aiding this, though, are (1) the time setting of Dawn, (2) the presence of a battalion mortar battery FO to provide a concealing smoke barrage on the manor house, and (3) the Veteran platoon HQs with either +1 or +2 Stealth bonuses.

Dietrich,

I'd say from my experience, when cover is available, sneaking works quite well. Right now I'm using it with some success to close up to T-34s with German infantry in woods, because if you approach too quickly, they "somehow" detect you.

On limited occasions, I have combined the sneak command with fast/advance, to try and get a platoon across open ground from a wooded area to a wooded area. I have everyone sneaking, running, and advancing at different intervals. Sometimes it works.

I wouldn't discount it. It does have it's place, and can be used with some success in certain situations. The ones you described, limited light, smoke for concealment, and the stealthy advantages from HQ units all help considerably.

Heinrich505

Thanks, Heinrich505, for the insight.

I'm not discounting it; it just hadn't occurred to me before, even though I've been playing CM for a couple years now.

With your suggestions, I'll definitely be subjecting this tactic to more thorough tests. =)

Dietrich,

the only problems I find with sneak are to do with the tiring effect and the amount of time it takes to reach an objective (where a rest is necessary to bring the squad back to fighting fit). Where terrain demands and time allows, it is a perfectly viable movement option with good advantages accruing to the sneaker.

Dietrich,

It takes forever and really tires the ones doing it (rest your troops), but if you've got to move and don't want to be noticed, it's the way to go. Also works in real life. In Vietnam, the firebase 105 howitzers used to fire Beehive ammo to prevent overrun attacks by VC/NVA inside the perimeter wire. Beehive is a time-fuzed flechette round, and it crucified its victims in the early days, literally nailing VC to trees (flechette's a finned nail).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beehive_(ammunition)

The enemy changed tactics and stopped charging in, instead worming forward on his belly in order to get close enough to satchel charge the gun pits. That problem was later solved by time fuzed 105 mm (Killer Junior) and 155mm (Killer Senior) HE airburst, but it does show how useful Sneak can be. Basically, enormous blasts of Beehive were doing little but tearing holes in the air, while whistling harmlessly over the otherwise instantly dead in any other posture foe. I've used Sneak to move a Veteran sharpshooter across open terrain while under 100 m from prepared, very fierce defenses. If stalking a relatively static tank, it's a must when operating solo.

Regards,

John Kettler