CMBO freezing on new POWERFUL PC!

Well I did exactly what you said and it worked,CD is detected so I can play CMBO,but another problem

,put in a old saved game file,from old WIN-98SE-PC into new XP-pro-PC,it verys from 30-secs to full 60

secs,it will freeze for about maybe 5-10-secs the comeback&play then do the samething again,this is what I've on new PC:

P-4-3.0-GIG-FSB-800-w/Hyper-Threating

ASUS-P4G800E-deluxe(reso at 1280x960 at 100-mhz)16bit color-CMBO prefs always say 1280x960 at 100mhz-switched to 60mhz&75mhz with same results

and prefs never change when deleting prefs.

Seagate 120-GIG-SATA-150(AA&AF at 8X)

Nvidia-Gain-5900fx-Ultra-1800-XP-256mb-Goldensample-Drivers-56.64's,direct-X-9.0b

Pioneer-DVD-rom-slotless-16x-DVD-40x-CD-rom

Windows XP-PRO with 1st service pack installed

could hyperthreating be involved,I don't know if it's on and if it was how could I tell

I got the big machine to run CMBO fine,well anything would be helpful-Thank You.

John

[ April 06, 2004, 05:47 AM: Message edited by: TufenHuden ]

What exactly varies from 30 seconds to full 60 seconds? That is not clear.

What version of CMBO was the save game file made with? I understand that there could be problems running saved files from an older version on new versions of CM games.

Also, your mobo has onboard graphics, correct? As you have an add-in video card, did you disable the onboard graphics in your BIOS?

Your problem still isn't clear. Are you saying that the game plays fine during the movie playback, but it locks up when you rewind it ? Is your 'movie playback clock' giving you some strange values when you attempt to rewind ? Are you getting long pauses during playback where the 'game clock' also freezes ?

I'd doubt that Hyperthreading would be your problem. That only has the effect of emulating the presence of another CPU (which CM would ignore).

Are you running anything in the background ? You may want to close down any utilities that may be running while you're playing CM (anti-virus, instant messaging clients, etc.).

If you're getting weird readings from the 'game clock', then you may want to either update your motherboard BIOS or leave your computer on for a half hour or more before playing CM.

I can't find the ASUS P4G800E-Deluxe on ASUS's North American website; I've seen a P4G8X, a P4G8X Deluxe, a P4C800-E Deluxe, a P4P800-E Deluxe and others listed. Was this motherboard purchased in North America or are you in Europe or elsewhere ?

I tried other scenarios on what I had,from scratch

,Villers Bacage-Tiger!It went good for 10 turns

then at 11th when I recieved my reinforcements,

3-Tigers-1's,1-PZ-IV-H-handful of infantry,and the Brit armor showed up,about 15,the movie couldn't be played out,it froze/cameback/froze,it

was kinda slow motion then total stop then about

10-secs it comeback then froze,the mobo was bought in North-America,CPU show,now I can play

CMBB with no plobems,with old saved game files,

new games-new and old pbem movies file-tested a

10,000 piont one with no problems on new PC or old one,I have no instant messanger on new PC but on old PC I have MS-mssgnr and no problems,well

with gameclock or movie as we call it it freezes

or none gameclock(CMBO-new-PC),the ASUS P4C800-E

deluxe my mistake in G-Sorry about that,but that's the mobo I have,maybe BTS needs a new patch for XP-for CMBO,well Thank you for replying

any other ideas welcome=).

Have you attempted to play a CMBB scenario for as long as the CMBO ones you are having a problem with ?

My only guess it that something may be overheating in your system. However the entire CM series should show this behavior (if you play each title for the same amount of time).

The CM series has a habit of pushing CPUs pretty hard (even when not calculating turns). For P4s that overheat, they usually 'clock-down' their speed and bring it back up once the CPU has gotten cooler. That might explain the freeze-go-freeze phenomenon you're seeing, but again it would happen with any CM version to my knowledge.

I don't believe that CMBO needs an XP compatiblity patch.

I did for the same amount time for 11-turns on CMBB and no flaws,played like a champ,CMAK same thing like a champ,on my old P-111 1.2GHZ-it runs CMBO no problem,on CMBB I also did that 10.000

piont pbem file,played the movie out without any

hang ups,so I don't know whats up,Thank you for replying.But a side note,it's pretty sad I can't run CMBO on a P-4-3.0 GIG-1-GIG-PC-400-DDR-corsair

hyper ram,with XP-pro,and CMBB/CMAK runs fine,go

figure,with all do respect,but Thank you again

for replying=).

"Prefs never change when deleting prefs file". Never heard of that... are there multiple HD's on your system, or multiple partitions on your HD?

Test your video card. Turn off AA/AF. Turn off x8 AGP Enable in the BIOS if possible. I see you've messed with the refresh rates. Gotta another Nvidia-based card around? Throw it in and test that with CMBO. Last but not least, pull it out and Enable the on-board video chip and see if CMBO locks up with that (may have to lower the resolution, though).

We'll get to the bottom of it, hang in there, bro!

I played CMBB/CMAk with about 20 tanks on each side with 3 co's each,played 15 turns with no lock ups freezing,anything and did both with AA/AS

on at 8x and off played like a champ,what about sound drivers my sound card is a creative lab

sound blaster LS 24 bit-advanced HD 100db 5.1

dobly,just throwing something out there.

If the sound card is suspect, you could reduce the Hardware Acceleration (sound) to see if that helps. I will tell you that, with my eVGA FX5900 non-ultra and the same drivers you've got, CMBB/CMAK plays like a champ, but I have to Alt-Tab out of the intro to CMBO (with AA/AF on) in order to initially see anything. (black screen). But it plays fine. Since you have WinXP Pro, have you tried the Admin Tools to see what errors/problems have occurred upon bootup?

I don't have to hit alt-tab on CMBO/CMBB/CMAK,my

Gainward-GF-FX-5900-utlra-256mb goldensample a

great card,if CMBO is having problems but CMBB/

CMAK is not I think it's the game-I've tried everthing,I even disabled the Hyperthreating on

intel-P-4-3.0-gig and disabled onboard audio,my saying is that I have these goodies and I can't play a simple CMBO game with the simple graghics

on it,not like the Hi-res on CMBB/CMAK,BTS needs a XP patch and this game came out before XP

even came out,the campalibility mode sets at Win-95-even tried setting it at Win-98-ME and didn't solve anything ,I just don't get it,well I'll try

what you suggest-Thank you Sir.

Something about win95 compatibility mode
Therein lies the problem. It should not need any compatibility mode. CM runs just fine as an XP native program. No need to putz around with any compatibility mode.

And make sure you are not playing directly off of the CD, like last time. That is how one has that little prefs issue.

WWB

[ April 13, 2004, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: WWB ]

The 'windows compatibility' modes caused problems for the CM series in the past. It's possible that later XP patches have made this less of an issue.

Typically the 'Windows 9x compatiblity' mode would be set when someone would upgrade to XP from an earlier Windows version. With CM already installed on the machine, the Microsoft 'upgrade database' didn't have a entry to recognize the CM executable, so it would automatically get the 'compatibility mode' setting. There is no need for this setting since what it does has almost no bearing on CM and how it is coded up.

For some users the 'compatibility mode' prevented the copy protection scheme from working. Somehow this mode changed some small details that are retrieved from either the CDROM or the IDE interface. Turning off the compatibility mode fixed this problem for most users.

So the compatibility mode would typically result in a 'CDROM Not Found' error (if I recall correctly) when you launch CM.

As WWB stated, playing off of the CDROM will result in the inability to save a Prefs file (and also result in no save games or new scenarios showing up in the listing). Double-check where your short-cut is pointing to in order to make sure you aren't playing off of the CDROM. From what you've posted earlier, I would assume that you aren't playing off the CD since you seem able to load up a saved game.

I get rid of shortcut on desktop went through

program files and also did msconfig and unchecked some stuff and now CMBO works,in XP-pro or home

does that work the same as in Win-95-98SE-ME to uncheck unwanted programs to run in the background

or do you type something else,I read in Maxi um-PC

well any hoot it works now,Thank you for the help

=). :D