At the backyard of Kubinka tank museum

dima

What museum is that from?

I think those newer models are still in active use... I would use them, at least.

While it is in a way sad to see beautiful killing machines rusting away in rain instead of crushing those thick-skulled Georgibaidzhasvakian rebels, let's keep in mind that even then there's a legion of well-preserved AFV's in the Kubinka and other Russian museums. Which is incredible, considering Russian government has hardly enough money to maintaining all their WW2 veterans. Someone might say that all that money would be better spent caring for the people, not the machines. And some of those hulks look like parts have been cannibalized from them for spares, so they didn't die in vain.

Anyway, before anyone gets on to the more obvious double entendre involving penetration values and such like, there are some very interesting and odd looking machines in there. Like, this deadly looking beast:

8855378.jpg

Anybody know what on earth this is/was? Probably a one of a kind, I would guess.

The babel fish translation of the captions says this:

"still one version of the machine of the support of tanks. Above the wings of installation for the grenade launchers "

I"m going to take an incredible wild guess here and say that its a BMP-4 (Urban combat support bmp based on the T-55 chasis)

check out the video:

http://warfare.ru/?lang=&linkid=2092&catid=0&video=true&id=222