178.24 driver help

bodkin

Can any of you guys offer advice? I've downloaded the latest drivers for my GF7900GS but when I install and reboot I only get the options of 4 colours and 800x600 resolution, and no nvidia control panel.

I've tried to install every way I can think of including the advice in the readme.txt. The files seem to want to install to an \nvidia\win2k folder but I'm running xp with full admin rights.

I've downloaded them several times to make sure I had the right settings for my OS and card but don't know why this is happening.

Anyone.

Hhmm. You were coming from which drivers? And did an uninstall of the old ones first?

I had the 175s on the system, downloaded 178, they got unpacked into the C:\Nvidia directory, and then the setup started. XP SP2 for me.

It somewhat sounds like your setup is only unpacking the files to disk, but then not launching the actual installation. Can you verify that or descripe in more detail the process?

It launches the nvidia setup process and says drivers installed but when I reboot I get the same problem. I used a driver cleaner program as well as uninstalling the old 169 driver but now I can't even roll back to that because the 169 driver setup will also only install to a win2k folder which makes me think I'm somehow lost in Windows 2000 land.

Could be a bum dl link, i.e. downloading 2k drivers mislabeled as xp drivers. Where are you dling the drivers from and have you tried other places to dl?

Also this is from the Nvidia site:

Driver Installation Hints

• "Download Accelerator" utilities should be disabled when downloading any drivers.
  • Do not run virus protection software in the background while installing the drivers. This prevents the driver from configuring itself properly.

Ok I just dled the driver and installed it with no problems. But I noticed there was a few differences from previous Nvidia driver installations. First I uninstalled my old driver. The new driver does install to ../nvidia/win2k folder, but I checked before I installed and noticed that previous drivers also had put stuff in this folder. But I'm pretty sure it never installed directly to this folder before. Anyways I didn't change anything and let it do its own thing.

It seemed to install fine and I restarted my PC. I'm guessing this is probably where you goofed. Because it took much longer to reboot than any other nvidia driver I've installed to date. It took upto 10 minutes to reboot. It was a black screen the whole time so I thought maybe it froze and almost did a manual reboot. Glad I didn't as it eventually booted normally.

One small gripe I got now, the digital vibrance doesn't work, my desktop looks much duller.

After uninstalling the old drivers, which I do in safe mode, reboot and run Driver Sweeper. Double check to make sure the c:\Nvidia folder is gone and delete it manually if not. Reboot then install new drivers. Reboot yet again and do your settings.

I have read but not confirmed that the broken digital vibrance is fixed in the 180.43 beta drivers.

EDIT: howard beat me to it.

I've never had a problem using the normal uninstall, it's always worked for me. Not saying driver cleanup utilities are useless, just that their not necessary.

I checked the new beta drivers, but noticed my old card(6800GT) isn't listed under "supported cards".

I decided to try out some older tweaked drivers for my 6800GT. So I got XtremeG tweaked nVidia drivers 91.47 released by ASUS. It seems my CMBB/AK games run a little better now. Also testes a newer game like CoD 4 but performance seems to be unchanged.

I also got my digital vibrance back too. I think I'll stick with these for awhile.