The magic UAZ

Im playing The Thin black line in PBEM.

You get two pretty useless UAZ in this one as the mighty Syrians. Not much use to me on defence I though so I parked one on each side of the map behind a building, both are empty.

My opponent boldly attacks me, my opening goes well and I kill two LAVs in quick succession. Then his AAvs arrive and one of them motors behind a building before I can get a shot off.

Now its behind a building and I cant see it, haha, time to deploy the magic UAZ now. I click on the map (were playing iron man here as were not wimpy ghey bohys) and can see the once spotted AAV. SO thinking my lucks in I start to click on all of my combat units to see who can see this beast, hoping it will be a misslie unit of course.

After going thru all of my combat forces and no one can see it, I clicked on a UAZ behind a building and a hill and hey presto, the AAv is visible. A bit weird thinks I, clicked on the other UAZ and alakazam, hes visible again.

Next turn my opponent does the same, again the same result.

So it seems that once one of my combat units spot an enemy vehicle my magic UAZ can then see them thru walls and hills for the rest of the game. I havent seen any infantry yet so am waiting for the same.

Maybe those Syrians have zee magic eh!

I think you're mistaken about what's happening here, my experience with this is that if you select an unoccupied vehicle, your view reverts to the 'global' FOW, the same as if you had no unit selected. In other words, selecting the UAZ gives you the same view as 'clicking the map' as you described above. My bet is that you do have another unit spotting the AAV, you just haven't noticed.

No mate, thats exactly what I thought too, so I clicked through every single unit and the only two able to see the marines vehicles are the two empty UAZ.

I can't reproduce this.

I have a small scenario where I am sure NONE of my units can see an enemy vehicle, and IEDs and UAZs come up with a ? as well.

This leads me to believe that this is right:

I think you're mistaken about what's happening here, my experience with this is that if you select an unoccupied vehicle, your view reverts to the 'global' FOW, the same as if you had no unit selected. In other words, selecting the UAZ gives you the same view as 'clicking the map' as you described above. My bet is that you do have another unit spotting the AAV, you just haven't noticed.

How are you doing it?

I am unable to duplicate either the magic UAZ or the Buried IED with eyes. Here's what I did:

Setup with UAZ behind building and IED with clear LOS to enemy.

MagicUAZIED1.jpg

After 2 minutes with no UAZ or IED sighting of enemy I move the triggerman into the building and up to the 2nd floor with facing towards enemy. Triggerman spots enemy (photo shows question marks but triggerman actual identified moving inf briefly during turn

MagicUAZIED2.jpg

Check the IED which appears to have LOS

MagicUAZIED3.jpg

Check the UAZ which appears to have LOS

MagicUAZIED4.jpg

Now I Checked the Inf hiding behind a 12 foot wall with no possible LOS

MagicUAZIED5.jpg

So it is seems evident that the only time an IED or dismounted vehicle can see is due to Global vision (in this case the triggerman is the sole unit with any LOS).

If anyone has a save file that demonstrates anything different please do send it along and I'll check it out and report my findings.