Screen corruption on Mac G4 OS 9.2

As some of you know, I'm playing RoW IV on a rented

400 MHz Mac G4 with 512 KB RAM and 16 MB VRAM (ATI Rage Pro 7000?). Display is a NEC MultiSync LCD 1810. Have recently discovered, to my dismay, that if the machine sits for a time while CMAK is running, the game comes back off standby with extreme image corruption (almost nothing, a few color blocks). Command Q works, but in a high unit count battle, a simple phone call can completely nullify a great deal of painstaking fire and maneuver plotting. Had to replot one turn three times. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there anything which can be done about it, please?

Regards,

John Kettler

Yes, I've noticed it since CMBO - after coming out of sleep it goes all peculiar. Tried 'esc' ing back in and out to reinstate but nothing seems to work. I can only suggest you save the turn with the moves you've plotted if you're lible to be away for a while or use your monitor energy control panel to set HD/monitor never to sleep after computer inactivty

PS Got the George Bradford book you recommended for only £12 secondhand. Very good reference indeed. Ta muchly

Originally posted by John Kettler:

As some of you know, I'm playing RoW IV on a rented

400 MHz Mac G4 with 512 KB RAM and 16 MB VRAM (ATI Rage Pro 7000?). Display is a NEC MultiSync LCD 1810. Have recently discovered, to my dismay, that if the machine sits for a time while CMAK is running, the game comes back off standby with extreme image corruption (almost nothing, a few color blocks). Command Q works, but in a high unit count battle, a simple phone call can completely nullify a great deal of painstaking fire and maneuver plotting. Had to replot one turn three times. Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there anything which can be done about it, please?

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Wicky,

Does your rig involve an LCD? Do you think it may have anything to do with the problem? What are the specs on your rig? I appreciate the suggestions. Am glad you got the book. Hope it's beneficial to your mod projects.

Regards,

John Kettler

Formac 17" CRT DP450 with OS9.2.2 + ATI retail Radeon 32mb AGP, and I think it's related to the mac coming 'awake after 'sleep' after a certain time. Try disabling sleep, you can still manually set 'sleep' using the top 'special' menu.

I'll also run some tests.

I've only noticed it rarely in my regular games but the phenomena has happened a lot while working on the mods in single vehicle preview scenarios, especially when I wander off in a fit of artistic angst ;)

John, "…..a simple phone call can completely nullify a great deal of painstaking fire and maneuver plotting. Had to replot one turn three times."

Been there, done that too. John I think Wicky has the correct remedy: Use the save command and set energy control panel to never sleep. This seems to diminish the problem to a very occasional occurrence now. I doubt the monitor is an issue. I am on a vintage Mac 8500 with a G4 – 400MHz upgrade. I have lost numerous brilliantly plotted, scenario-winning moves when I failed to ‘save’. Just kidding with my move hyperbole John. I had to laugh or raise my BP at the loss of my great game plans, frustrating loss and reboot. Good luck with your 400 MHz Mac G4 rented mercenary and RoW IV competition.

Wicky, "I've only noticed it rarely in my regular games but the phenomena has happened a lot while working on the mods in single vehicle preview scenarios, especially when I wander off in a fit of artistic angst."

Well Wicky, you must have developed some superior coping skills for your artistic angst as your recent flood of fine looking mods look poised and pleasing. Thanks for the fine art work Wicky.

John.. i use a DP800 G4 and when ever i have to leave my mac while CM is running i do the following.

Select a unit.

With the unit selected move the cursor quickly to the display side making the image rotate around the unit.

Let it spin let it spin let it spin smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

Don't you get dizzy and sick? ;)

PS Cheers Dawg, the mods will still keep coming just as long as caffeine and nicotine flow through my cholestral rich veins :)

Originally posted by Måkjager:

John.. i use a DP800 G4 and when ever i have to leave my mac while CM is running i do the following.

Select a unit.

With the unit selected move the cursor quickly to the display side making the image rotate around the unit.

Let it spin let it spin let it spin smile.gif

Regards

Måkjager

Måkjager … " With the unit selected move the cursor quickly to the display side making the image rotate around the unit. Let it spin let it spin let it spin"

Creative Måkjager! Could be marketed as "Screen Saver Mod" .. Mac Mercenary Mayhem? Just include the anti chair sync disclaimer. Misuse may cause you to see Ubërcabbage ;)

Wicky, "Cheers Dawg, the mods will still keep coming just as long as caffeine and nicotine flow through my cholesterol rich veins :)

I am practicing with the new La Pavoni Europiccola so I can cover you caffeine requirements Wicky. No smokes but I got a Cuban buddy. As far as cholesterol, you know where to come for dinner my friend. Our city’s culinary capability is known world wide as a "cholesterol rich environment." ;)

Hope these technical suggestions helped you John in your ROW IV Mac rumble.

Ciao,

Robert

I've experienced the same problem and found that the best solution if I know I'm going to be away from the computer for some time and it's likely to go to sleep is to hit <Esc> and let it go to sleep from the desktop. For whateever reason, the problems don't seem to occur if I remember to do that.

Running a G3 350 mhz with 128 mb of RAM and 1 MB VRAM.