Snipers

try to get them as forward as possible, into a good positon and then leave them there for spotting and sniping, works great for me.

but try to keep them moving around so you dont stay on same roof/floor all the time because if so the enemy will find you in the end. so let them engage a few targets from one position, then get them out of there and have them crawl into next position maybe a house away from your first position.

Remember snipers are good at collecting intelligence without getting detected themself, so use them for that as well. if I cant find any good use for them in the built up areas I often position them to cover my flanks so I can get intelligence if any opfor are trying to flank me, freeing up real "power" to do the combat instead of flank security.

/Thomas

thanks for the tip. By the way do you aquire targets for the snipers or do you let them hamdle that themselves.

Personally, I rarely choose Targets for my troops (not just snipers). The AI is usually pretty smart about targetting what it thinks it can hit (and destroy) and often has a better situational awareness regarding enemy threats on the battlefield than you have from your elevated player position.

Although Army snipers have been in vanilla CMSF from day one.

Yeah, but I don't know if that's just my perception or maybe 1.10 changed something, but Marines seem to be much better shots than the Army. Haven't played Army since Marines came out, so don't know if Army snipers and riflemen are now better, but the Marine snipers are awesome shots.

I would suggest you only let your snipers engage targets by choosing them with your target command. You can do this by giving them a hide command or giving them a very restrictive target arc. The reason being, snipers die real easy. If you let them shoot whenever they want they shoot at low value targets and give away their position. This results in a machine gun bullet or main tank round in the head. Let them spot targets and if they find something worth shooting (like ATGMs) give them a target command and then scoot them out.

""but Marines seem to be much better shots than the Army"

I *think* Army snipers may have improved a bit with the patch. But the difference between Army and Marines may be the weapon. That new Army M110 has lots of fancy features but in the real world the old Marine bolt-action rifle can still outdistance it. Marine snipers can be 'relatively' safe plugging away if they're taking advantage of their superior range. Syrians can't shoot 'em if they're only carrying AKs and you're outside AK range. I've got to admit not many scenarios are able to take full advantage, the Red side's usually on top of you before you know it.