Gamespot user review average of 6.9 for Marines

mazex

The point I was trying to make that while technology has some great advantages (wooho it increases productivity at work), it tends to make most things more impersonal and much of the fun of gaming is the social interaction.

Definately agree that you cant use the mantra that is not a real game, come play this.

I can use my own childhood as a counter-example, that technology and computer games can INCREASE the social aspect of war games. When I was eight, I started playing ASL (no, really). I did not meet another ASL player, or a war gamer at all, until my late teens and even then I had to drive an hour to play one evening of games with them. Other than that, I had always played my War Games solo; I had no choice because of where I lived. With the internet and computer games, I have hundreds to thousands of ready and willing gamers, 24/7.

Gotta go with Normal Dude's experience here too. I had no shortage of friends when growing up, but I did have an extreme shortage of friends willing to play wargames. Two were interested a little bit in my middle school years, however they weren't into it really. And I beat their butts so badly that ended pretty quickly. In highschool I only had a different two friends who were interested, however getting together for serious wargaming was very difficult. Too many friends and not enough time to pair off like that. Seriously! We could get 5 or 6 guys together to play Civilization, Risk, Star Fleet Battles, (damn, forget the name of the paper/dice ship to ship Star Trek combat game!), or Axis and Allies without any problem, but one on one gaming was just not something we had much luck with. The beer and pretzels games were more social and more appealing to a greater bunch of people. That meant my Avalon Hill gathered dust and my SSI games were played solo. Compare that to now when I have no choice but to be exposed to a couple tens of thousands of wargame nutters :D

Steve

I guess I was blessed from a wargaming standpoint. I lived next to 2 wargamers and we always had a game going (Gulf Strike, Struggle of Nations, NATO, SPI WW2) and every Sunday we had a group of 10-15 guys who would get together for tabletop miniatures.

Miss those days and now am relegated to playing games though these machines.

I personally think people here are too hard on CoH and WiC. They're both great games in their own right, and just because they have AAA budgets doesn't mean they weren't designed with as much love as Battlefront or Shrapnel puts into their games. CoH is a great way to introduce basic WWII tactics and has several very well written campaigns, and WiC is completely unique - although admittedly, if CM ever gets team-based coop, it'll be hard to go back to WiC. Sure, the tactics are just fix 'n flank, but it's nice to not have to think too much sometimes.

Also, playing Shock Force for long enough makes you REALLY good at WiC. Trust me :)

But yeah, don't trust user reviews (OMG THIS ISN'T WWII!!!! F-----!)

Ohh, I would never talk bad about Massive Entertainment that did WiC. They sure are a dedicated bunch of talented developers... I was talking to their CEO at a party recently about them selling a stripped version of the WiC graphics engine cheap to Battlefront, but that would naturally never work with the publishers etc. It would be an interesting mix though. BFC focusing on the hardcore game play stuff and not having to worry about getting those fancy DX10 explosions to run on both ATI and Nvidia hardware. Martin is well aware of the CM series and we played a bit of CMBB together at a party in my place some year ago...

Hehe, these posts remind me of when I wanted to play football (soccer) with my twin sister... It was fruitless (anyone who watched a female take a penalty knows what i'm saying ) ;)

Guess what, she plays football at the moment while I'm contemplating for several years to hook up with a senior team...

I liked RTS games since I was 10 orso, and my uncle introduced me to Sudden Strike when I was 13/14. None of my friends was into that type of game though and when I did hook them up, I beat too hard.

Been lucky though now having one friend which I have poisoned with sudden strike before, and later CMSF :)

The internet makes everything much more easy though, however there is still no game like monopoly/risk/hotel in which you could bang up the board when u lost ;)

Edit: Both played WiC and CoH, but their hard drive allowance time is limited when compared to CMSF or any other 'hardcore' game of my genre.